MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

New member here in Auckland new Zealand

Recently got my hands on an almost mint 1977 MV Agusta 350 Ipotesi to add to the fleet. This has had a Magni 400cc kit installed.

Attachments

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Hi, Congratulations & Welcome :)

What are your impressions after riding it?

Also, hope it's only an optical illusion but it looks like your front brake lever is missing :jsm:

It does seem very nice indeed :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Havn't started it yet - only had a couple of days to check things out so far. Had to get a new battery before I could check the electrics, and will be stripping and clenning the carbs this comming weekend. Then I will put some gas in it (its completly dry) and see what happens.

The electrics all work, even if Italian electrics of the 70's have their little idiosyncrasies

The oil is obviously new, as are the tyres. The battery was replaced because the old one had been drained (probably for shipping) and it was easier to get a replacement than source some acid.

I'm just going over things and checking before I light the fires, just to be safe.

The front brake lever is there - its just the angle hides it behind the bar.

·
Registered
344 Posts
How does one go about finding the magni 400cc kit...
That's a gorgeous bike. I hope mine looks that good someday

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know where you would get the 400 kit from - it was already fitted when I got the bike.

You can try
http://www.magni.it/

The kits may still be available.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Havn't started it yet - only had a couple of days to check things out so far. Had to get a new battery before I could check the electrics, and will be stripping and clenning the carbs this comming weekend. Then I will put some gas in it (its completly dry) and see what happens.

The electrics all work, even if Italian electrics of the 70's have their little idiosyncrasies

The oil is obviously new, as are the tyres. The battery was replaced because the old one had been drained (probably for shipping) and it was easier to get a replacement than source some acid.

I'm just going over things and checking before I light the fires, just to be safe.

The front brake lever is there - its just the angle hides it behind the bar.
That's fair enough, we will be awaiting your report as soon as everything is done. :)

The Magni big bore kit makes it sound very different to normal 350 - it is much 'throatier' and deeper to boot - I think if you married it to a set
Mangi pipes, it would awesome - hopefully in a couple of months I'll be able to tell you exactly how it sounds :naughty:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Welcome to the site, nice bike:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick note - when I first saw this bike I assumed it had been refurbished, The paint and everything is so good, but having got it home I am now convinced it is in fact all original.

Does anyone know - did the frame number and the engine number originally - 8if so then the motot ghas been changed.

John B

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate this keyboard

Of course the qestion was did the original Frame and Engine number match?

John B

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi John and welcome.

I have never seen a 350 with matching numbers so don't worry.

Word of advice. If when you try to start it, it seems a bit reluctant and requires lots of kicks....DONT. The kickstarts on these things are a bit of a weak point. It's far better to use rollers or give it a good push. Once up and running you will find that it all settles down and should start within a couple of kicks.

The other serious issue can be the exhaust valve seats falling out. No joke, if it hasn't happened it WILL happen. If you think they havn't been replaced then think about getting them done before you make an expensive mess.......just ask others on this forum!! I have sold 5 new cylinder heads in the last frew months alone!

Don't want to scare you as that looks a lovely example, well done for tracking it down.

All the best.

Dorian.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Looks very nice, John! Congratulations!

I get the impression that there's an increasing number of classic MV fans down under...:moped::yo:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That is a GREAT looking bike ! :yo:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Quick note - when I first saw this bike I assumed it had been refurbished, The paint and everything is so good, but having got it home I am now convinced it is in fact all original.

Does anyone know - did the frame number and the engine number originally - 8if so then the motot ghas been changed.

John B
No the numbers were not matching. So it could be the original or a replacement engine. God knows but it is a beauty for sure. Congrats and welcome on board.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Lovely lovely bike!

If Dorian was my neighbour I'd own a classic :heart:

I was fortunate enough to ride a small handful of British and Italian bikes from the 60's and 70's around London a week ago - I see the appeal in riding these bikes now and not just looking at them.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Hi John and welcome.

I have never seen a 350 with matching numbers so don't worry.

Word of advice. If when you try to start it, it seems a bit reluctant and requires lots of kicks....DONT. The kickstarts on these things are a bit of a weak point. It's far better to use rollers or give it a good push. Once up and running you will find that it all settles down and should start within a couple of kicks.

The other serious issue can be the exhaust valve seats falling out. No joke, if it hasn't happened it WILL happen. If you think they havn't been replaced then think about getting them done before you make an expensive mess.......just ask others on this forum!! I have sold 5 new cylinder heads in the last frew months alone!

Don't want to scare you as that looks a lovely example, well done for tracking it down.

All the best.

Dorian.
+1. Happened to me with one bike - whipped the head off the other & re-engineered the valve seats as a preventive measure.

·
Registered
576 Posts
John.

No, it only happens to the one piece cylinder head 350 bikes, ie; the Ipotesi type, both Sport and GT.

Dorian.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts