MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Just registered here, so please excuse me if I don’t have protocols right.

I’m still waiting for my software to arrive but my Brutale 1078RR is running/idle like a pig.

And my big question is if anyone here knows the correct mVoltage of the TPS on idle/2.5 degree throttle angle?

I know on the previous models it was something like 390mV for 2.5 degree.

I’ve checked valve play/clearance all within factory spec, also check compression and all within factory spec, installed new plugs while I was there. Clean throttle bodies and intake ports. Installed BMC race-air filter, replaced oil and filter, replaced o-ring on alternator (was leaking oil badly), reset TPS mechanically/manual to 150mV on complete closed throttle, balanced left throttle (cyl 1&2) with right throttle (cyl 3&4).
Any help or advise would be much appreciated!!
Thanks 🙏 in advance.

·
Registered
548 Posts
what ecu is on your 1078 1.6m or 5sm dose your bike have a lamba sensor if so the ecu is likely to be 5sm and not 1.6m it appears you have done everything right so far .

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
Someone out here will correct me if I am wrong, but the Brutale 1078 was produced in 2007 as a 2008 model and has the Magneti Marelli 5SM ECU. It was the predecessor to the 1090RR and has the same engine.

That being said, TPS is set using TechoResearch VDST software to a setting of 2.3 (unitless). It has no voltage or resistance correlation in the manual.

In true MV Agusta fashion, the manual doesn't really specify the ECU change.

Knowing that the ECU is the %SM, then the procedure for setting TPS doesn't follow the earlier 1.6M process of setting to a voltage.

I found the following thread interesting as it is a good description of what one individual did to overcome his stalling issue, albeit NOT on a 1078. HE does describe, however, how the ECU and TPS interact and ways to trick the ECU.

·
Administrator
21,088 Posts
Welcome to the family @Chris Brutale 1078RR !!!
As SS703 said, your bike is a 2008 model in most markets and was a 2009 in the USA. The TPS is set within the ECU as a reference point using the diagnostic software.
How does the bike run otherwise? Is your idle speed too low? Should be closer to 1500 than 1200, but the dash is not accurate enough to use for actual rpm reading. Again, the diag software is needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what ecu is on your 1078 1.6m or 5sm dose your bike have a lamba sensor if so the ecu is likely to be 5sm and not 1.6m it appears you have done everything right so far .
Thanks for your input, yes bike has Lamba sensor. Factory year 2010 so one of the last ones before they went over to the 1090RR. I now have adjusted the idle screw (which is not really idle as the Ecu controls idle and A/F). I found the following, the rough idle and pickup was caused by over fueling, so the bike was drowning pretty much still at 1250rpm, so when I adjusted idle from 390mV TPS to 265mV the fueling got much better and idle nice at 1240-1250rpm. This would suggest to me that at 390mV TPS position the Ecu clearly was giving much more fuel and throttle bodies not letting enough air through to get A/F right. But is still would like to know the correct relation between throttle angle and the mVoltage of the TPS??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 🙏
I already have all the factory workshop manuals for the bike but no reference to mVoltage for the TPS, it only refers to the 2.5 degree reset for idle. So without software you need to know the mV correlating to the 2.5 degree versus mV at 0 degree (complete shut throttle). On the older Brutale 750 the 2.5degree correlates to 390mV however if I set the TPS at 390mV on my Brutale 1078 it idles rough and is running so rich that it’s pretty much drowning. So now adjusted to 265mV it idles nice and good response and pickup through rev range but than the question is does 265mV correlate with 2.5 degree on the 1078?

·
Registered
548 Posts
there is no ref to tps voltage because the tps on that bike is non adjustable as you no you can only adjust with the software . so how are you getting the 265mv reading ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is no ref to tps voltage because the tps on that bike is non adjustable as you no you can only adjust with the software . so how are you getting the 265mv reading ?
I have my multi meter plugged in the back of TPS, on the outside wires of the plug itself. Resetting the TPS with software is all good and well but what if the actual degrees open of the throttle bodies is slightly off? Say for example in real time the throttle bodies are at 1.7 degree (to far closed for good proper idle) and you reset the TPS with software so the ECU thinks now it’s on 2.3degree, the bike will run like a pig (to rich), as the Ecu/mapping will give fuel for 2.3degree but at the true 1.7degree there is not enough air going in to get A/F spot on. This will cause significant idle and stalling issues when coming of the throttle when downshifting or stopping for traffic light. You see where I’m going with this? So in order to get the absolute correct correlation between the true mechanical degree of the throttle bodies and the assumed electronic position by the TPS (in mVolt) we need to know the correct table for mV versus degree throttle angle.

·
Administrator
21,088 Posts
Yeah.... MV does not want you to ever touch the throttle stop screw in the cable pulley that sets throttle plate opening. That is why they only have the software value reset. If you touch that screw you are screwed.

But I did to get proper idle with my 910R 5SM equipped bike. The screw seemed to have wound itself out a bit after 25K miles and air bleed screws couldn't compensate. After that tiny little turn in to get a decent idle I set the TPS with the software.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have my multi meter plugged in the back of TPS, on the outside wires of the plug itself. Resetting the TPS with software is all good and well but what if the actual degrees open of the throttle bodies is slightly off? Say for example in real time the throttle bodies are at 1.7 degree (to far closed for good proper idle) and you reset the TPS with software so the ECU thinks now it’s on 2.3degree, the bike will run like a pig (to rich), as the Ecu/mapping will give fuel for 2.3degree but at the true 1.7degree there is not enough air going in to get A/F spot on. This will cause significant idle and stalling issues when coming of the throttle when downshifting or stopping for traffic light. You see where I’m going with this? So in order to get the absolute correct correlation between the true mechanical degree of the throttle bodies and the assumed electronic position by the TPS (in mVolt) we need to know the correct table for mV versus degree throttle angle.
I here you so basically you need the tps and the throttle reading on the same page or its sending wrong information . your bike is running properly now at 265mv leave it not all bikes run the same it dose not work like that what works for one might not work for another , I have had 2 910s and 1 910r all euro2 the current one I have a 2006 I have not had to touch it just what the manual said in tune up and it runs perfect the other two were bitches and had to do what you are doing now .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I here you so basically you need the tps and the throttle reading on the same page or its sending wrong information . your bike is running properly now at 265mv leave it not all bikes run the same it dose not work like that what works for one might not work for another , I have had 2 910s and 1 910r all euro2 the current one I have a 2006 I have not had to touch it just what the manual said in tune up and it runs perfect the other two were bitches and had to do what you are doing now .
Is there anyone here with a 1078rr Brutale that is running mint that could check the mVolt on their TPS with ignition on and bike not running?? (Just for reference purpose)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts