MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the wall of text, I'm pretty wordy. Consider this an introduction and a question. I'm somewhat in the same boat as Diavlo (link) since I'm also weighing the virtues of the Hypermotard SP vs the Rivale (2015 versions of both), but my concern is not as much reliability but character. Reading some of the experiences here has convinced me that MV is listening to the riders and correcting the reliability problems.

So I spent some time yesterday at Ducati Austin putting my butt in the saddle of both and I really prefer the Rivale for its dimensions and for looks and seat height to the SP. But the Hyper SP is doable for me too and felt like it had an even more open seating position. I like them both very much, this is my dilemma. It's important to note that I've been on a Honda 919 for 7-8 years and the moderate-aggressive seating and medium compactness of it is what I'm looking to change about my daily rider. I'm also in a position to spend a bit more money now than in my earlier years of riding, and I want to enjoy a premium chassis over parts-bin or bargain bits. Both the SP and Rivale have HP/Torque #'s in the neighborhood of my 919.

It came time to test drive and they didn't have a Rivale I could take out. Instead the guy had me take out a Brutale 800 in order to "experience the motor" and I thought this made some sense. They wheeled out the Brutale and started it, I sat on it grabbed the clutch notched it into gear and it died. So the Ducati was up first.

I enjoyed the hyper a lot. The motor seems like a grumpy bastard but when you twist the throttle it responds wonderfully! And abruptly, but I figured that's what this class is about. The throttle travel seems small so "a little goes a long way" when you twist your wrist. The shifting was pretty natural to me. Clutch also felt "normal". The instrumentation was much like my buddy's Multistrada...it might as well not even be there. I'm accustomed to analog, so this is something I will simply have to adapt to. The ride height and ergos were great. I came back with perma grin after rolling-on a couple of small wheelies. Impressed.

So why do I go into all this? It's because I was not impressed by the Brutale and I am looking to you guys to help me understand how the Rivale is different. The Brutale had a problem with it's kickstand down safety switch which was the consensus among those standing around when it died. They had that sorted by the time I was back, soooo....

The throttle on the brutale felt disconnected. Motorcycle dot com used the term "digital" and that is as good an adjective as any. The bike was surging and engine braking with my small inputs when I was trying to simply zip along. I was over-correcting for its lag. It responded much better to broad changes, rollons and rolloffs, than to tiny corrections like one might make in traffic to maintain safety zones at moderate speeds, 35-50 MPH. It chipped away at my confidence so I was not willing to roll it on as much as I would have liked, or as quickly. Perhaps due to that, the bike seemed weak and without torque. Not brutal at all. I expected shoulder-ripping acceleration, a rude sonofabitch, and it was not. The ride seemed stiffer than the SP but I was already not liking the riding position ... the Brutale reminded me of what I've become bored with about my 919, mainly holding my head up over annoying bumps (I'm high-wasted and the moderate seating of a naked is a pretty bent over position for me due to my shorter torso). So...maybe stiffer maybe not, the bumps are much less annoying when you're sitting upright. It also felt used....it felt like someone's beater, not tight or precise. Not "new". It wasn't all bad though...it cornered nicely from what I could tell and the clutch felt really solid. And that sound...MARONE it was a symphony!

(I wish now I had asked what year model the Brutale was)

The two motors couldn't be at more opposite ends of the spectrum after my short ride. The L-twin's abrupt low down grunt vs the ZIIIIINGy revvy street bike manners of the triple. But that's not what I'm really hoping you guys and gals will shed some light on (but by all means feel free to). To the point, was my experience with the Brutale indicative of the manners of the Rivale? Is this an MV Agusta "thing"? At the end of the day, nothing I experienced on the Brutale was something I couldn't adjust to as an experienced rider. I'm sure every throttle feels like home to somebody. But if the Rivale is like the Brutale, I'm going with the Ducati. And that is kinda sad because I'm more of a street biker than a hypermotarder. The ergos, and the promise of a gentleman's hooligan with street bias are tailor-made for me.

So also, I wanted to say hi to everyone here on the forum. I hope this whole post has infomed you about me a bit. Your stories have informed me greatly so thank you very much! I hope to be part of the MV Agusta family very soon :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
The Rivale they have is a 2014. I bought the red/silver one. The 2015 is going to have an extra gallon of capacity, and it needs it. They are supposed to be getting a 2015 tank for mine. I was told they could do it when I bought it.

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
Try a 1098 Brutale 4 cylinder.....very different from the 800.

Sounds like you liked the Ducati. Go for it. Yours is the only opinion that matters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Rivale they have is a 2014. I bought the red/silver one. The 2015 is going to have an extra gallon of capacity, and it needs it. They are supposed to be getting a 2015 tank for mine. I was told they could do it when I bought it.
Howdy X, I sat on your bike! I was bummed it was gone when I came back to the shop. Small world. I told Mark that the little gas tank was a show stopper for me on the 2014 and he explained the retro deal. I also want a red one, so I'm sorta stuck waiting until one comes in.

What's your opinion on the throttle response?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try a 1098 Brutale 4 cylinder.....very different from the 800.

Sounds like you liked the Ducati. Go for it. Yours is the only opinion that matters.
I hear ya on that one. I want to make sure I give the Rivale a fair shake, though. I do prefer it over the 'Tard for other reasons. Hopefully the shop will let me ride the Rivale they have so I can make a quick decision.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome Booker. That's were I got my F3 and those guys provide great customer service. Hit me up when you get your new wheels and we can go for a ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Booker. That's were I got my F3 and those guys provide great customer service. Hit me up when you get your new wheels and we can go for a ride.
Howdy TDUBB thanks for the info and the offer, I'll definitely reach out once I have this "problem" solved. lol

·
Registered
560 Posts
Cartridge filter inside the engine. There's a little door on the bottom of the engine with three screws that hold it in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after several very rainy weeks here in Texas the sun peeked out and I took home a 2015 hypermotard SP! Many thanks to the community here for helping me figure out a ride that so far feels like a really great fit. Part of me is still lingering with the Rivale..... something tells me that story is not yet written. Cheers to everyone here, keep the shiny side up mates!

Hey TheX....did you bring the Rivale in today? We might have almost crossed paths as I rode off!

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Welcome storyteller!

Which year Brutale did you test?
I have the B3 800 RR and tested the Rivale and the F3 800 so I think I can comment a little bit ;)
The one I liked the least was the F3 and the throttle gelt indeed disconnected. This is soemthing I did not experience on the Brut and Rivale. Those two bike are in a sense comparable except for the riding position. On the Rivale you sit higher and even more forward. Supermotard style and almost as if you have nothing in front and the wheel is under your ass. I was also slding a bit forward which was not so comfortable. On the Brutale you sit more 'normal'.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome storyteller!

Which year Brutale did you test?
I have the B3 800 RR and tested the Rivale and the F3 800 so I think I can comment a little bit ;)
The one I liked the least was the F3 and the throttle gelt indeed disconnected. This is soemthing I did not experience on the Brut and Rivale. Those two bike are in a sense comparable except for the riding position. On the Rivale you sit higher and even more forward. Supermotard style and almost as if you have nothing in front and the wheel is under your ass. I was also slding a bit forward which was not so comfortable. On the Brutale you sit more 'normal'.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have any questions.
Hey there Max V, I'd have to guess, but the Brutale was likely a 2014. I think in the end the decision came down to wanting to get something really different from my 919. I only ever considered the Rivale in MV's lineup because of it's supermoto ergos.
The revvy sporty nature of the MV triple was not so far removed from the fireblade. I might have decided a different way had I been able to ride a current-mapped Rivale (I still want to, I hope they will have a tester at some point at my local shop) but in the end the character of the twin won me over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guy's, i've done as much searching around the web as I can. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Rivale 2014 model (small tank). I'm wondering what they are like to live with This would be my only ride so i'd be commuting 20 mins to work each day and then out into the hills on weekends. Is this something the Rivale can do? Are there any known issues i should look out for with this model? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 20 minute commute should be a pleasure as would getting out in the hills at the weekend. A couple of things i'd mention is fuel range obviously is a bit shit so planning fuel stops is key as there is no fuel gauge, i managed to squeeze 13 miles after the fuel light had come on but that was pushing it. Mirrors are a pain if you are filtering in tight spaces (maybe more of an issue for me commuting in London). Position on the bike means you are sat up like a sail so windy days can be a bitch.

In terms of issues the only thing I had an issue with was it cutting out when pulling in the clutch sometimes, throttle and idle was adjusted in the first service and seems to have cured it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the info there. I pulled the pin and I'm now the happy owner of a 2014 Abs Rivale! Loving it!! I'm used to the nakeds and the upright seating position, the moto config is one of the things that attracted me to it. Anyway having a blast!!! I have noticed after taking it out to the twisties on the weekend (and giving it a work out) a strange sound coming from the engine, like a vibration or a rattle. I'm not too concerned as I'm 500 km of the first service. I am curious have any other rivale owners noticed a rattle sound pre first service? The sound goes when I pull in the clutch but as soon as a load on the engine it's back.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I am curious have any other rivale owners noticed a rattle sound pre first service? The sound goes when I pull in the clutch but as soon as a load on the engine it's back.
The first service is an oil change, basically, so I doubt that it would resolve any unusual noises. At what RPM range are you applying the load to the engine and hearing the noise?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My Rivale has a bit of a 'rattle' at idle which goes when you pull in the clutch lever. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'm past 1000 miles now and it's still there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts