MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Tourismo Veloce was stolen the Ignition Key was damaged beyond repair so had to get new set, problem is now the New Code for the key wont stay in the memory, so I have to put the code in every time I start the bike at the moment, anyone have any ideas as how to fix this problem, the local mechanic at the dealers cannot do it and so I have the bike back from him He is trying to find out also???

·
Registered
891 Posts
I assume that you are following this procedure from the TVL Workshop manual.

IGNITION KEY REPLACEMENT
For the replacement of the ignition key, proceed as follows.
• Order a blank ignition key to the MV Agusta Spare Parts Service.
• Use the blank key to obtain a plain copy of the original ignition key owned by the Customer.
• Remove the lid from the box on the back of the MV Code Card supplied with the new key and read the related secret electronic code.
• Insert the new key in the ignition switch and rotate it in the “ON” position to turn the dashboard on.
• Access the “PIN CODE” mode on the dashboard and introduce the electronic code as described in chapter B (page 65). see below
- Remove the cover from the frame on the back of the MV Code Card and read the secret electronic code of the ignition key
- Access the “SETTINGS” menu and press the “SET” or “MODE” buttons to select the “PIN CODE” function. In the event of an Immobilizer error, access to the “PIN CODE” function occurs when the engine is ignited
- After confirming the last digit, if the entered code is correctly recognised by the system, the “CORRECT” message appears. - The dashboard display returns to the “Running Mode”.
- If the entered code is wrong, the “WRONG” message is displayed. The system does not authorise the engine to start; the display returns to the “PIN CODE” mode. Repeat the code entering procedure from the beginning,
taking care to properly enter all digits shown on the supplied MV Code Card. If further issues are found, contact an authorised MV Agusta service centre.

The new ignition key is now ready for use.

If so, did you get the key from MV Agusta? and that it has the immobiliser transponder chip in the key.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack, but I have same issue. Mine is intermittent issue and I do have OEM keys. I see you mention the PIN code needs to be entered when engine is running. So after entering immobilizer code from my card and engine is started there should then be a PIN code option in the menu? This may not be possible for my bike, 2010 Brutale 990, since dash is probably completely different, but I need to try something. Buying an entire new dash is my last resort and the local MV dealer here seems to not want to touch it and basically just said buy a new dash :-(

·
Super Moderator
21,777 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Key is from the Factory with replacement Ignition switch so yes Factory Transponder is present, the bike starts, the problem is the system will not retain the Code so that the next time you use the key the code should not be needed, (you have to put the code in every time, to start the bike).

·
Super Moderator
21,777 Posts
Then go back and repeat the process of initializing the key....it failed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have entered the code with the bike to start it and then also while it is running, turn off then turn on it askes for code again, I have even tried wrong code first so it would error, and then the right code, the bike started as normal, switch off and back on again, (It still askes for code to start it again, if you go 0000 it brings up the dash as normal and you can enter the menu there it wont start of course but you can enter the menu and put in the code, it will then start, but once you switch off, and back on it ask for code again, so the question is how to make the bike retain the code for the transponder?

·
Super Moderator
21,777 Posts
Have you followed the procedure in Post # 2 above and received the "CORRECT" message?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can't tell me the transponder code is Hard coded into the dash and cannot be changed, that don't make sense! There must be a way to have the new code for replacement keys entered so that it is retained by the system, I believe there is a step somewhere missing. It's not in the manual????

·
Registered
565 Posts
Is the battery in good condition? With low voltage it is possible that the code isn't writing into memory. Do you have a source for reliable voltage? Battery charger? Battery tender?

A battery may have enough current to start but voltage may be low. When I reflash my car I must keep car on a stable 14 volt source.

Be aware that a lithium battery charges differently than a standard battery when supplying stable power source!

·
Registered
420 Posts
You can't tell me the transponder code is Hard coded into the dash and cannot be changed, that don't make sense! There must be a way to have the new code for replacement keys entered so that it is retained by the system, I believe there is a step somewhere missing. It's not in the manual????
I have no experience with MV imobilizer system.
But it sounds to me, like the MV scan tool is required to register the new key transponder to the bike.

·
Administrator
19,129 Posts
I have no experience with MV imobilizer system.
But it sounds to me, like the MV scan tool is required to register the new key transponder to the bike.
On this bike that would be the VDST software.... I have noticed an immobilizer tab when I plug it into my 910R, but it is all grayed out for me (no immobilizer).

·
Registered
420 Posts
On this bike that would be the VDST software.... I have noticed an immobilizer tab when I plug it into my 910R, but it is all grayed out for me (no immobilizer).
I don't know VDST, is it a generic scan software?
My guess is genuine MV scan tool/software are needed to register a new key's transponder to the bike.

·
Administrator
19,129 Posts
The VDST software and cable are what is used on the 5SM equipped bikes...It is my understanding the 990 has the 5SM ecu. It is what my dealer used on my bike back when I let them touch it (when brand new).

I use it to set the TPS, read any DTCs (detected trouble codes...fault codes"), do idle fuel trim adjustments, and more. It has a bunch of grayed out functions when hooked up to my 910R, because my 910R doesn't have that stuff, like immobilizer.

·
Registered
891 Posts
According to the manual section E page 35 edition 2, you can recode keys using that method. You don't need the factory tool, I've performed the procedure on an f4 to add a new key.

If the bike was stolen, is there a chance the antenna or pickup wire was damaged? If it was then it would give the error you describe, as the code you provide is already in the Dash, and it never sees the key.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so all instructions followed Key Inserted switched to on position code requested, numbers put in answer back is correct, start bike Ok, switch off try to start again code is requested again. This is complete new set of locks and key set from factory in Italy, what else can you do??????????? (Is it the transponder in the keys not working I tried both keys supplied with locks) you wouldn't think so??????????

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ok so all instructions followed Key Inserted switched to on position code requested, numbers put in answer back is correct, start bike Ok, switch off try to start again code is requested again. This is complete new set of locks and key set from factory in Italy, what else can you do??????????? (Is it the transponder in the keys not working I tried both keys supplied with locks) you wouldn't think so??????????

Is the battery weak?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Did you check the condition of the antenna? The wires from the dash that communicate to the key?

You said anew key before, but in your last post you mention a lock set. It it come with a completely new ignition barrel or just the tumbler?

Either way I would check the antenna.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a complete lock set that come's with 2 Keys and a new set of codes of course, from the factory in Italy to check the antenna you would have to open the dash would you not?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts