MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been (trying) to get some sense out of Peter Stevens on purcahsing some parts. To date they have been absolutely useless and rude. If they are appointed and don't improve their attitude and performance, we are in for a very dismal time. It got to the point at this stahge where they refuse to respond to me in any form. Unfortunately I'm in Perth where the dealer here has taken up my cause, which remember is only trying to buy parts, but he also is being ignored. My contact originally started as a warranty but their attide to that was totally dismisal.

Hers hoping things improve ASAP

Chappo

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Thats why i didn't want them as a importer.They have and always have had i dont give a fck attitude.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just been ready some technical threads in particular the rear wheel nut seizure. This is my problem that I referred to in the New Distributor comment. I have emailed MV directly on this matter ansd they tell me they have never heard of the problem!!!!!!! Unbelievable.......and then there is trying to get some sense out of Peter Stevens. I love my Brutale 910R, I love the MV history and I intend to be a long term owner of my Brutale.

Initiallly I changed the tyre with the wheel on the bike which was OK until the Hub bearings collapsed about a thousand km later. I ended up having to cut the nut off which damaged the wheel. Hence this has turned out to be a very expensive exercise, and now with the parts delivery problems with the factory and Peter Stevens. How MV can pretend this nut removal problem doesn't exist
is just astounding. The hub collapse was caused by the plastic bearing cage on the wheel side nut collapsing which I am informed is caused by using rattle guns on the nut. DO NOT USE RATTLE GUNS TO TRY TO REMOVE A SEIZED NUT.

Cheers

Chappo

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Dont worry i know how you feel.I had minehub fail also ,while riding .Did $4000 damage and waited 4 months for parts.Called PTs every week,they didn't give a shit.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Mr. Chappo you are getting heaps of bad advice. Using an impact wrench has no effect on the bearings or seals. the nut is sometimes hard to get off, but I can't remember anyone having to saw it off. You didn't use heat on it did you? You are aware the it is reverse thread, correct?

How did you change the tire with the wheel on the bike?

There are a other choices for parts apart from the dealer or importer.

I'm not surprised MV wouldn't honor any warranty claim as this sounds like a case of operator error.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Sounds like your tyre shop didn't use a torque wrench to do up the rear wheel nut.
If you ever use a torque wrench, 220Nm does not require too much effort.

I've clocked up over 75,000km on 3 MVs and never had a rear bearing failure - I do check and maintain all the bike myself thou.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Order your parts from overseas. I do this for my bikes anyway as it's cheaper and quicker. Then only have trusted people work on your MV. You will find the Ozzies here take their bikes to 2-3 groups to work on.

·
Registered
988 Posts
IMHO, Just thinking aloud here, but wouldn't it be good if we had just one, one real Italian executive from the Cagiva/MV stable, from Varresse, here in Aus?

One who gives a shit, other than selling new bikes solely for profit. An executive that understands the typical owner (not all, but most) have a passion for their machines.

Underpaid salesmen, are a bit ho hum to our needs. They have shops full of other brands, they are their money makers, and quite frankly, if we come back or not for parts or service, doesn't really matter to their bottom line. Ask every salesman if they give a shit? Hell yea, they tell ya :jerkoff: I want someone with brand ownership, MV Agusta pay roll.

If this was your business, and you were reading about the dealers of your brand providing average/below average everything, what would you do? Accept it?

Luxury car brands here seem to be clued up better as to what people expect when we pay premiums for a quility goods. But then again, Mercedes are not sold with Kia, or other korean brands in the same car yard. The buyers for each type of car are different, have different needs, requirements and expectations.

We just need one guy to tell us not to worry, it will be done, no excuses, no shit, someone to believe in. Red line to the factory for parts, info - whatever.

And they must be a member here, on this forum.

OK, that's my rant, feel better now :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear Cag Thanks for your thoughts. In reply I offer the following: No heat and yes, aware of the LH thread. Changing the wheel on thye bike is dead easy. The advice on the rattle gun relates to after 2 days of trying to undo the nut, I reverted to a truck size and power rattle gun. Still no go. When I did finally get cut the nut off, the hub was totally dry, no grease at all. The very fragile plastic bearing cage was in pieces, hence my comment on the rattle gun. Again, no heat was used. Notably the bike has only done 14,000 km and has been serviced by authorised MV Dealers. Sad story really, and worse than that no outlook to me bieng able to get parts in Oz.

Cheers
Chappo

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
One who gives a shit, other than selling new bikes solely for profit. An executive that understands the typical owner (not all, but most) have a passion for their machines.
I am divided on this particular topic regarding parts availability which many have ranted about.

There is a very good reason why parts are hard to come by locally. There is a very good reason why retailers don't stock parts.

When you buy into a niche brand or a niche product it doesn't mean they do everything better than everyone else. You pay your hard earned cash to have something that not many can afford to enjoy.

Yes things could be done better regarding spare parts/service. However on the slip side i think people's expectations need to be lower. We are a tiny country with an even tinier MV owner market. You can't expect dealers to carry all the parts you need all the time.

It's hard to find a decent mechanic no matter what brand you go to. The MV dealer i used were hopeless. Frasers who i bought my Ducati from were even worse! Go in search of an independant mob who understand the bike and you will get great service.

The way i look at it you can solve all of this yourself if you really want to. Order your parts overseas and use a reputable MV mechanic to work on it or do the work yourself. If you want to go via local channels you will be ripped off and waiting a LONG time. Your choice really.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I have been (trying) to get some sense out of Peter Stevens on purcahsing some parts. To date they have been absolutely useless and rude. If they are appointed and don't improve their attitude and performance, we are in for a very dismal time. It got to the point at this stahge where they refuse to respond to me in any form. Unfortunately I'm in Perth where the dealer here has taken up my cause, which remember is only trying to buy parts, but he also is being ignored. My contact originally started as a warranty but their attide to that was totally dismisal.

Hers hoping things improve ASAP

Chappo

...this is why I now ride a Ducati.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The way i look at it you can solve all of this yourself if you really want to. Order your parts overseas and use a reputable MV mechanic to work on it or do the work yourself. If you want to go via local channels you will be ripped off and waiting a LONG time. Your choice really.
What if your brand new spanking MV is under factory warranty ????
What do you do then ???

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yea, I know, I'm hearin ya. Aus is such a small market. Maybe I'm being too negative, all from the heart, no logic. Maybe this will be a good thing in the long run. Do you think MV Aus will do a travelling track day show like in Europe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correction to CAG. In the first line of my reply to you stating "changing the wheel on the bike is dead easy", that should have read "changing the tyre with the wheel on the bike is dead easy"

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Serious Groper. Agree with all you say, and no I don't think anything apart from commomly used parts should be held in OZ for the reason as to our portion of the market you described. Keep the store in Italy, thats fine. The question is why can't the ordered part be dispatched by air with a day or two of the order????. I'm sure any MV owner would be happy to pay a bit more to get their parts within a respectable time frame, say 2 weeks, not 2 to 6 months (or never) which is ther current situation.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Serious Groper. Agree with all you say, and no I don't think anything apart from commomly used parts should be held in OZ for the reason as to our portion of the market you described. Keep the store in Italy, thats fine. The question is why can't the ordered part be dispatched by air with a day or two of the order????. I'm sure any MV owner would be happy to pay a bit more to get their parts within a respectable time frame, say 2 weeks, not 2 to 6 months (or never) which is ther current situation.
Nothing wrong with your suggestion if MV had flipping wads of cash but they don't. Holding parts on shelves costs money. Holding parts for everyone worldwide would absorb a LOT of cash. So they use country distributors to take that burdon from them.

Problem is the Disti's don't want to hold stock either and nor to the retailers. Ultimately, no one ends up holding stock because no one wants money sitting on the shelf for 6 months.

That leaves factory runs to produce product on demand. Except they don't do that. They will wait until they have a large enough order to get the cost price effective. That might take 6 weeks. It might take 6 months. It's a messed up design but that's a niche product for you.

I know people don't want MV to turn into Ducati but the advantages of having higher revenue and greater product turnover is you can produce things quicker and therefore have better/quicker supply of parts to customers.

I work in Supply Chain BTW so there is method to my madness :)

Besides if you look online and you will end up finding someone with the part you want anyway. The internet eliminates some of these supply chain floors.

What do you do then ???
That is something one needs to consider before buying the product. When someone purchases an expensive niche product whether it be brand new or used, it is a reasonable assumption for that person to have researched that product and that company.

MV in Australia have never had a good track record on spare parts or warranty work. That information is readily available on the internet. So it's kind of irrelevant if 1 bloke out of 1,000 bought without knowing anything if all the others read up before making a decision.

I'm not taking a shot at anyone specific, I'm merely talking in general.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
What do you do then ???
Wait for parts like i did ,when my rear bearing failed.Aprrox 4-5 months.It wasnt the bearing itself,it was the damaged it caused to the rear end.It happened as i was riding.
I dont think you should have to wait that long for parts under warranty.And Peter Stevens couldn't give a shit.
I don't blame you for jumping ship Pete.What are Ducati like for warranty claims?.Waiting time?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
That is something one needs to consider before buying the product. When someone purchases an expensive niche product whether it be brand new or used, it is a reasonable assumption for that person to have researched that product and that company.

MV in Australia have never had a good track record on spare parts or warranty work. That information is readily available on the internet. So it's kind of irrelevant if 1 bloke out of 1,000 bought without knowing anything if all the others read up before making a decision.

I'm not taking a shot at anyone specific, I'm merely talking in general.
Are you for real ???

Of course it's something one needs to consider before buying their product....and good enough reason for me not to buy my third F4...with PFG it was ok, not now. You only have to deal with PS once to know.

I don't have to do any research to know that you've yet to personally have anything major go wrong with an F4 in Victoria....like myself, Adrian and many others....we've lived through the pain when MV's go 'bang' in this country. Adrian 4 months, me 5 months...list goes on.

F*ck that, i ride all year round.
I made excuses for MV for 8 years because i love the brand and still do....but id had enough.
I hope you never have to endure a dose of MV reality when things go wrong in this country. It's not a nice experience.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'd be inclined to find a dealership with a local reputation without worrying about which brands they sell. MVs are not difficult to work on as such, compared to Jap bikes. If they are familiar with Ducks, so much the better.
I've had excellent electrical work done by my local Honda dealership - and the rear wheel set up is apparently very similar to a Honda VFR 800 anyway (don't quote me on that - what I was told by a Police bike mechanic who maintains a VFR as part of the fleet).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts