MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Desperately needed a new helmet as my 15 year old, yes, 15, started to shed padding foam, leaving sticky gunge in my hair!
So, where the hell do you start with helmets these days, especially if you haven't bought or even looked at them for so many years!
Well, I won't ramble, I did some web surfing, looked at many YT review vids and spoke to a number of decent gear retailers here in the UK. It came down to the Shoei GT Air II in matt grey. I've never owned a Shoei before, mainly having Arai's and Bell's before the Dainese. The Shoei is really excellent, definitely the best helmet I've ever worn. Fit couldn't be better, no pressure points, ventilation is really effective without causing cold spots. The integrated flip down sun visor is truly wonderful and the visor stays where it's put, even at minimum crack.
Most I've ever spent on a helmet but worth every penny.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the shell is perfect, in fact everything is ok apart from the padding foam but I suppose 15 years for a helemt is pushing it! The Shoei has a 5 year guarantee, so should be ok for 20!

·
Super Moderator
22,338 Posts
So, you are if the opinion that the safety of your head is relying on the fact that the shell of the helmet “looks ok”?!
You should probably do some research on the longevity of the glues and protective foam that make up the self destructive properties of a helmet....that, and the fact that if you transfer 300 joules of energy to your noggin, you die.
Replace your helmet every 5 years, max.

·
Registered
868 Posts
So, you are if the opinion that the safety of your head is relying on the fact that the shell of the helmet “looks ok”?!
You should probably do some research on the longevity of the glues and protective foam that make up the self destructive properties of a helmet....that, and the fact that if you transfer 300 joules of energy to your noggin, you die.
Some known brands are actually very clear on this : Shoei : 5 years from purchase date. Arai: 7 years from manufacturing date but max 5 years from purchase date (which is even clearer, as some helmets may last quite long on the shelves of the shop before being sold). Generally, most would tell you 5 years if you ask. The shell is not generally the cause for this, but rather the EPS used inside the shell.

·
Super Moderator
22,338 Posts
Yup. I always look at the manufactured date stamped inside the helmet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Err, I was being tongue in cheek!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Err, I was being tongue in cheek!
Hahaha I get it!! Let’s see your new lid!! I am a helmet fan!! One saved my life.. only left me in coma for a month. So, on helmets I spend big. Arai Corsair, AGV. I use the AGV now. But felt more secure in the Arai. I believe that if its good enough for Moto GP its good enough for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It all comes down to the look you’re going for, but I’ve never been a fan of the sharp-bottom racing style of helmet (e.g. that Shorai above). The lines might work better with the F4, but i think they clash with my B4. Instead, I went with a Schubert’s C3 8 years ago and have loved every minute with it. Aerodynamics are great, proprietary Bluetooth integration is clean and easy to use, and it has that internal visor that was also a requirement of mine. In all the perfect Brutale helmet IMHO, but again I’m a canyon guy rather than a track guy.

PS — the C3 isn’t the latest and greatest anymore, but the newer models have taken up a harder-line design that again isn’t what I’d want. Might need to scour a bit to find a new C3 and associated Bluetooth hardware.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It all comes down to the look you’re going for, but I’ve never been a fan of the sharp-bottom racing style of helmet (e.g. that Shorai above). The lines might work better with the F4, but i think they clash with my B4. Instead, I went with a Schubert’s C3 8 years ago and have loved every minute with it. Aerodynamics are great, proprietary Bluetooth integration is clean and easy to use, and it has that internal visor that was also a requirement of mine. In all the perfect Brutale helmet IMHO, but again I’m a canyon guy rather than a track guy.

PS — the C3 isn’t the latest and greatest anymore, but the newer models have taken up a harder-line design that again isn’t what I’d want. Might need to scour a bit to find a new C3 and associated Bluetooth hardware.

A rider in the making! Little Man!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting comment above on the racing style helmet not being condusive with the B4. Actually I have a B4 and also didn't want an aggressive type, transformer style look! The Shoei GT Air is actually quite a mild helmet style in todays market. For me, the overt retro look is too restrained for the Brutale, after all, it was/is quite an aggressive, 'brutal' looking bike. The colour I chose is also on the reserved end of the styling scale, quite Bauhaus I think. It's all a personal thing though, so down to individual choice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Case you already missed the monday last day deal at Louis
View attachment 478643
Wowza, good catch! Might need to refresh mine while the getting’s good! If nothing else, you can never have enough spare visors.

The Shoei GT Air is actually quite a mild helmet style in todays market.
It really comes down to the chin for me. I like a rounded lower-front, as it looks uniquely calmer than the typical sharp-end racing helmet. But otherwise agree — that Shoei is probably one of the better styles of its class.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The choice of helmets now is incredible, bewildering even! I really like open face helmets but would never ride with one. Reason, one of my uncles, may he RIP, had a massively scarred face, and as a child I found this quite perturbing to the point that he actually frightened me a bit! I asked my dad what was wrong with him and he told me he had been in a bad motocycle accident when he was young. Later, when I was much older and he was still alive, I asked him about the accident, which he told me about and showed me pictures of him and his bike before the accident. These showed he used an open face, jet style helmet, which then of course was all you could get. Apparently he had slid down the road on his face!! Combine that with what is flying around in the air on todays roads, like cig butts, random rubbish thrown out of other vehicles, bird strikes (of which I've had a few), insects etc, and there is the reason I will only use a full face.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts