MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is good news...Wandell has vision and is progressive. JC had a pretty good history in motorsports on his watch, so that isn't a bad thing.

Levatich, has been living in Italy the past six months running MV, so I'd say he has a pretty good handle on the ins and outs.

Harley-Davidson Inc., grappling with a downturn in sales as consumers cut discretionary spending, picked an outsider to replace its chief executive.

The Milwaukee-based motorcycle maker said that Keith Wandell will take over the top job at the company on May 1. Mr. Wandell currently is president and chief operating officer of Johnson Controls Inc. He will succeed president and CEO James Ziemer, who is retiring after 40 years with Harley-Davidson.

Mr. Wandell, 59 years old, will take control of Harley at a time when the company has seen its sales battered as consumers have cut back on major purchases of goods such as boats and recreational vehicles. It has been working to increase sales to women and younger riders to diversify its customer base even as it cuts jobs and its dividend. At the same time, the company has been seeking new sales outside of the U.S.

Amid turmoil in the credit markets, the company's financing arm, which finances about half of all new "Hogs," also has had to seek alternative sources of financing. In early February, the company's largest shareholder and Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. each bought $300 million of senior unsecured notes Harley issued. Mr. Wandell said his first objective will be crafting a long-term vision for the company. "If you're only working on today and tomorrow, then things are going to stall out," he said.

Harley also said it was shuffling some of its management. It said it was promoting Matthew Levatich to president and chief operating officer. Mr. Levatich, 44, currently is the president of MV Agusta, an Italian motorcycle company that Harley bought in August. James McCaslin will fill a new position as executive vice president for corporate product planning, which will oversee motorcycle product planning and development processes across Harley, the company said.

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
Lets hope it is! Glad to see they kept Levatich and are moving him up! THanks for posting

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does Mr Wandell have any Motor Cycle credibility, Does he Ride a Bike? I for one believe it takes passion for the product to be an effective leader. Lets hope Mr Wendell brings fresh ideas and passion to the job. I saw in another post that Johnson Control had an interest in Motorsports, lets hope this shows up in Mr Wardells leadership as he attempts to grow HD/MV market share.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sounds like good news for HD

·
Registered
331 Posts
I wish I bought some at $8 a month ago.
I bought at approx $10, just like I did back in the 80's. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
From Yahoo MV agusta Group...Enrico D'Onofrio, formerly CFO at Ducati and a bona fide pasta-loving Italian, will become Managing Director of MV Agusta as part of a management shake up prompted by the retirement of current President and CEO Jim Ziemer. You'll remember that, just last week, Ziemer told The New York Times to "file [Harley's] obituary where the sun don't shine" after the paper exposed a house of cards-like financial situation at The Motor Company. We're guessing this new management has been chosen with an eye to pulling Harley out of that crisis.

We couldn't care less about the new Harley leadership -- sure to be mind-numbingly boring corporate reshuffling of the kind that involves stock options and keys to executive bathrooms rather than anything remotely motorcycle related -- but we do care about the new leadership at MV Agusta. Levatich's initial management, of which we've admittedly heard very little, raised initial concerns due to his being a corporate stooge from Harley, rather than a long-lunch-taking, all-of-August- as-holiday Italian. It's reassuring to see the storied but troubled manufacturer back under domestic management, even if its backers are in a newly precipitous financial position. We'll bring you more analysis as things become clearer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Citrusboy:

Here is a piece of D'Onofrio's Bio-notice the words 'reform of credit institutions'. No doubt he brings a wealth of financial strategy, foreign currency hedging, and restructuring experience to help implement operational strategies that make the MV Division of HD obtain the highest return on capital in producing 'MotorCycle Art'. I also agree that MV will see D'Onofrio as one of them an outsider to MV being from Ducati, but not an outsider from Milwaukee. The real issue during downturns is what happens to vendors that produce products for the consumer recreational market? boats, motorcycles, winnebagos. How do they minimize their exposure to consumer recreational markets-when they produce products soley for consumer recreational markets? They hedge their product line exposure. How(?) sell bikes to non cyclical markets -defense, energy, and healthcare! Unfortunately, there is no market for MV or HD for that matter, in these markets! What do you think the McKinsey consultant has advised HD to operationally survive? -Cheers Perikles

D'Onofrio Bio:
At the end of 1986 he was assigned to the Credit and Financial Statistics Department; in 1989 he oversaw the reform of credit institutions' statistical reports; in 1993 he was appointed head of the Credit and Financial Reports Division and chairman of the PUMA2 working group supporting credit institutions in producing statistics; finally, from 1997 to 1999 he was involved in statistical activities preparatory to the launch of Phase III of European Monetary Union.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Over the last decade HD has become a profitable finance company and a break even bike manufacturer. Hiring D'Onofrio makes sense in the context of the finance business being broken, but traditionally profitable.

Assuming the strategy is to extract more revenue from Europe and restart the finance business there based on the HD product set, and the MV products this is interesting. They probably need a third product line to ensure success, but again D'Onofrio may be the key to unlocking the cash necessary to buy something. Guessing what would be an interesting pass time...

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Harley-Davidson Inc., grappling with a downturn in sales as consumers cut discretionary spending, picked an outsider to replace its chief executive.

Mr. Wandell, 59 years old, will take control of Harley at a time when the company has seen its sales battered as consumers have cut back on major purchases of goods such as boats and recreational vehicles. It has been working to increase sales to women and younger riders to diversify its customer base even as it cuts jobs and its dividend. At the same time, the company has been seeking new sales outside of the U.S.

Im a buyer and ready to buy; but I aint so sure of buying another mv if there is no back-up, no dealers, no spares

Why should I buy MV with no local dealer! No spares unless searching e-bay
Its not the consumer, there are plenty consumers ready to buy

we need availability of stock, spares and even a new model or two, so come on Harley/MV get your own ass into gear

otherwise

check out the new 2009 R1

would love to stay with MV but they cant see the wood for the tree's, unless they get the act together and provide for the consumer, they may find the consumer has moved ship:jerkoff:

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I've heard from two different different individuals who have had to order parts that the supply has improved greatly. Ed, and Jayden.

It's an improvement.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
I've heard from two different different individuals who have had to order parts that the supply has improved greatly. Ed, and Jayden.

It's an improvement.
Shhhhhhhhhhh !

dont say that carl

may put you outa bussiness

but hey, if deliveries as quick as your service then rock-on:guitarist

1 - 17 of 17 Posts