MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pictures of project to date, 1968/69 250B, making a custom frame, usual cafe treatment, at least my spin on one.

mvpost1.jpg
mvpost2.jpg

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Welcome aboard John, keep us informed on progress, what tank, seat unit are you using?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am scanning ebay for choices, if I dont find one I like, I will make something. I like the 350 tanks. Same with the seat, a monoposto with the right feng shui.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Welcome John. Quite a gathering of classic enthusiasts on here now.

Is that a couple more SS1 carbs I see there? Priceless. Guard them with your life. Ha! (..the bike looks to have relatively modern-day tyres. In tread pattern/shape they're much like the one fitted to the front of my Honda. Bridgestone? Tubed?)

Steve

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
I am scanning ebay for choices, if I dont find one I like, I will make something. I like the 350 tanks. Same with the seat, a monoposto with the right feng shui.
Welcome aboard:) That looks a similar project to that which I am doing (350) - well have been doing for 13-14 years :laughing: I am now just a tank away from finishing but have decided I want it red framed like the original racers. Of course, that means pulling all apart again & re-painting the frame for the second time when the first one ghas never been on the road! :wtf: Be careful these projects can take over your life :laughing: Good luck with your project - keep us informed (the more pics the better) of your progress.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the welcomes.... projects, yeah, I should finish one or two before starting a new one, ah well , behind the bike you can see another unfinished one, but it is being put back on the front burner.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Welcome John ! Looks like a nice project, keep us updated about the progress and Your ideas.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome John, that's a nice poject and congratulation to that great carbs.
Keep us updated.
I'm working on such a challenge too at the moment....and it makes unbelievable fun to bring them on the road again.

Helmut

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the encouragement!, First quick question, does anyone know the size of the bearing balls in the steering head?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi John,

I think they are the same like the 125 sport, 3/16'' (4,76mm diameter)

The techn. manual says 52 pcs for both, I didn't get more than 23 balls each inside.

Helmut

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dorian, what size is the chain for these bikes? oh and the carbs arent ss1, they are ub22 which I think are right for the bike

·
Registered
576 Posts
John.

UB 22 carbs are right for a 250B.

The very early, almost prototype, 250 used a thin Renolds 110044 chain of 1/2 x 3/16 but i doubt if yours has that.

All the other 250 and 350 B models used a Renolds 110046 chain of 1/2 x 5/16. I think the standard length for the 250 was 118 links but don't quote me on that.

Dorian (overworked and under paid MV Agusta consultant:)).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Dorian......maybe overworked and underpaid, but not unappreciated!

Giff, Too funny, you did pick out two projects, but not the one I am referring to. The Ducati is a small project, alcohol started to get to the fiberglass tank. The N# is long term ongoing project, 1941 Aeronca 65TAC a friend and I are restoring. The one I was referring to is the 1914 Jackson hiding there. Was put away when our children went off to college, now that that is all done(paid for), its coming out from under everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update and a question or two

just a quick project update, lots more to do obviously, thinking about footpegs and controls at the moment. It has a 1422mm wheelbase, 28.5 steering angle, and about 88mm of trail. Handle bars are there for mock up only, looking for a better set. I did buy the MV Agusta book but it doesn't have all the details. Am I correct in assuming this is a 6 volt bike? Should I stick with the stock coils? Thanks in advance,John

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi John.

Yep, it's a 6 volt system as standard with two 3 volt coils! I still have this standard system on both of my 6 volt twins and it works OK, but no way near as good as some of the converted machines i have used. I just like to keep mine as the Count intended:)

My advice would be to rig up a electronic 12 volt system.

There is a complete system out there that replaces the whole ignition and charging.

Have a look here www.powerdynamo.biz

Looking good by the way.

All the best.

Dorian.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts