MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

while searching for a good '00 F4S 750, I found one with 0 miles, never driven.

Is this a bargain or a potential risk (corrosion by cooling liquid, demaged bearings,...)?

Kind gegards
desmodue

·
Banned
676 Posts
It's still an old bike, and depending on the climate, bit will have aged... Fluids should all be immediately changed. Has it ever had gas in it, and did the gas just sit there since 2000?

Does MV use a different weight oil for break-in period? That factory oil has been sitting there gathering bacteria, and the coolant has been aging. The tires will be hard.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Yen? Pesos? Baht? :wtf: :naughty:

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Think of a ridiculously low price. Halve it. Then make an offer.

But buy it. It is an interesting bike,

Change the fluids..Change the tyres. Service the hub bearings..and get the stiction out of the brakes...

I like the whole idea of reclaiming it to life...Go for it..

joe

·
Registered
14,199 Posts
desmodue;

time to use my saying......

"that price is higher than giraffe pussy"

$5k tops

tires, fuel tank rubber and anything metal with brake fluid in it is going to need redoing

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Having just bought a bike that sat I personally would budget a lot of $$$ and time for small issues if you plan on riding it. As usual Noel is quite right with his diagnosis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I see the risks.

Change of liquids and tyres isn't a problem, because the most work on the bikes, I do by my self.
Changing bearings on the head set and the hubs is a little more ambitious. I would possibly give it to an expert.

But, what is the better choice, buying an 13years old bike: a 0 miles well conserved bike with a never running engine or a same aged bike with 2000-4000miles, occasional moved?

desmodue

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Yes, I see the risks.

Change of liquids and tyres isn't a problem, because the most work on the bikes, I do by my self.
Changing bearings on the head set and the hubs is a little more ambitious. I would possibly give it to an expert.

But, what is the better choice, buying an 13years old bike: a 0 miles well conserved bike with a never running engine or a same aged bike with 2000-4000miles, occasional moved?

desmodue
Depends on your purpose of the bike. If it's going to be something to admire you can't beat a bike that's never been ridden. If you plan on riding it it's best to go with something that's seen regular use.

As I mentioned I recently learned this the hard way. I bought a bike that's sat since 2007 with super low miles on it. As I was changing fluids I found all sorts of little issues that take time and parts to resolve. Nothing major just lots of little gremlins to fix. It's now becoming a whole winter project rather than something I could quickly change fluids on and actually enjoy on the track before it gets too cold. Needless to say I'll be looking forward to the spring.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts