MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I picked up a 2007 F4 with 186 miles on it in Houston. I test drove it and everything was fine. Got it back to Dallas, drove it off the trailer in to the shop where it died. The dealer had sent me on a test drive with almost no gas. Battery is brand new, but no telling how old the gas was. Now it won't start. Fuel pump works fine, and it will start if using starter fluid. I'm thinking clogged fuel filter or injectors. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jesse.
Best thing to do would be to take the bike back to the dealer and tell him to fix his shit, the amount of things which could be wrong is quite a list, but I would put my money on fuel lines/filter etc.
Download the workshop manuals from my site if you're doing your own work, have a look throughout the site, the topic of bad fuel lines comes up all over the place.
You mention the bike starts with QuickStart , so I assume you're taking the air box of and spraying down the throttle bodies? Still have the tank connected ? How long does the bike keep running for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer is a 500 mile, 8 hour round trip to drop it off, and the same to pick it up. Not to mention the $400 in gas it would take to make both trips. Also, no warranty. The bike was fine until it ran out of gas. The tank is still attached. Sprayed the starting fluid into the intake a couple of times, didn't know if it would be safe to do more. It only ran for a couple of seconds. First owner parked the bike in his living room and almost never drove it. All the fluids have been in the bike for the last 7 years, so I had planned on changing oil, coolant, etc. anyway.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Remove the tank, remove the fuel pump assembly. Replace the hoses and fuel filter. That is the easiest, least expensive, and most like fix for your problem.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Any vehicle that does not move for over even three years will have some issues, bar none! If your's sat since 2007/8/9 you have quite a bit of recovering to do IMO You really have to run a vehicle every 2 weeks (warmed up and all controls and moving parts exercised), 4 weeks at the most in order for it to live a long and useful life. Daily use will probably give it the highest chance of attaining high miles with minimal maintenance. JMO

·
Vendor
5,281 Posts
Get the dealer to pick the bike up,take it back to the shop and fix it.You only just bought it and rode it home.Surely there is some kind of second hand sales warranty that applies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the problem.

Disconnected hose. Going to go ahead and replace all of them.

Thanks to everyone who helped. It's almost like you've done this before.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I just bought a roll of the J30R10 submersible hose you will need. If you can't find it, let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like the previous owner already did some of the fuel line modifications, but it doesn't look like anything you guys have on here.

The lines from the gas cap now go straight to the tank drain screw.

The crimp fasteners have been replaced.

These two have been connected to each other.

Looks like the metal filler has been done also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also the o-ring is black, not green. Can anyone tell from these pictures if these are the OEM fuel lines?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Have you had a look at the parts list drawings as well as the workshop manuals for your bike, and also the link towards the top of this section, that will give you a good idea on what's going on and what the standard looks like. The mod done in your tank is the way Noel does it, works great.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Also the o-ring is black, not green. Can anyone tell from these pictures if these are the OEM fuel lines?
Black is the new green and that is ok.

Ed will probably chime in, he's done a few. There is an issue that can occur if the inside of that tank is not vented, and right now I don't see how it is. As fuel is consumed, you will create a vacuum and that vacuum may/will collapse your tank.

Have a look here: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39000&highlight=fuel+line+modification

·
Registered
223 Posts
The line going from the cap to the base (breather) is normal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts