MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought an 02 MV 750 F4 1+1 for $5K (yup) and it's in beautiful shape. The old owner sold it because he can no longer get parts (long story having to do with currency controls) and I bought it because A) The bike is awesome and B) I am not subject to currency controls.

I have been reading quite a bit of posts to see what I got myself into and apparently there are two salient issues with this bike: Oil filter leaks and temp. So now I know why the owner sold the bike... I have both issues.

I'm up to speed with the diagnostics and fixes (thanks to lengthy threads and comments -- kudos to Lee for the fan switch) but because the bike did not come with a service manual (I found and downloaded an Owners manual) and there are no Augusta mechanics/suppliers here, I am in the dark about possible dont's.

Can anyone point out if there are any "dont's" when replacing the impeller? Please try to avoid the "don't do this while the bike is hot" answer... if you can.

Crazy traffic here and it's hot to boot, the good thing is that when the road finally clears, there is no law enforcement... of any kind.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Welcome.

There were problems with the first MV with the oil filter coming loose etc but I believe this has been fixed along time ago.

You should not have any problems with the temperature on the 750. Its the 1000 that gets warmn and your balls become eggs benedict.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
congrats and welcome

biggest thing to watch out for when doing your own servicing is well-nuts. there's one or two on the airbox positioned in a bad spot that can drop down and worst case drop into the cylinder.

if you run int any troubles there's a wealth of information both on this forum, and in the FAQ- http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/

there is no law enforcement... of any kind.
go nuts.... :naughty::f4::f4:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for all of the info and the great welcome. I am waiting for a parts shipment from Pro Italia, an outfit out of Glendale, CA. (These guys are awesome www.proitalia.com) and should be up an running late next week (nothing really works well here, even FedEx).

And thank you Minime for distinguishing the ball temperature on the 1000 -- so happy that I have the 750!

And thank you Snohman for a definitely handy "heads-up".

I could be on it now, except that I can't fit any of the usual oil filter grabs on the filter due to limited space, and I have a bent left handlebar (apparently the self retracting stand isn't for everyone since the old owner was in a panic about that every time I even got close to the bike).

I hope not to wear out my welcome but... is there a workaround to get the stand to not flip up and is there a trick for tightening the filter w/o the Augusta oil filter wrench head? And... how does one bend aluminum without it losing its tinsel strength or snapping at the crease?

Nothing like being on an exotic Italian Motorcycle in a land w/o Italian motorcyles... I really appreciate it lads!

If you need info on Caracas, Venezuela, I'm your man.

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
Congrats and welcome!
Glad to hear you're getting the bike sorted out

It's MV Agusta by the way, not Augusta :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Welcome and have fun with the bike!

·
Premium Member
13,695 Posts
Don't you have nice beaches in Venezuela? You could post some pics of those.

If you do Lee's fan mod, you shouldn't need to change the impeller.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snohman strikes again with the maintenance PDF! Can't tell you how happy I am to get that, thank you! :drummer:

Darkside, point taken Agusta it is, cheers to that correction symptomatic of a rapidly developing spanglish. :smoking:

Cag, the beaches here are truly amazing, the security situation is not, but... here is a link to a Venezuelan barrier reef that would make for an outstanding "romantic" get away http://www.losroques.org/ or you can google "Los Roques" for more pics and info. I specify "romantic" because there are good B&B's but no nightlife. This is a good place to visit because you avoid the mainland and enjoy services that cater to foreigners. When calculating the exchange rate between the Dollar and the local currency use $1.00:BsF.6.4 it's the parallel exchange that you get on the black market, banks and exchange houses rip you off at $1:2.15 If you wand more information, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you once again for all of the help and welcome messages, really and truly, Hopefully by Thurs I'll have her up and running. I'll post a message with some pics. :f4:

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
No se te olvide cambiar el nombre de la moto en tu signature :stickpoke
Espero que no lo tomes mal, la mayoria nos llevamos asi, con buen humor :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grrra-cias Darkside! I already did change the name but evidence of my ignorance will outlive me since I can't go back to delete the old posts...

That's right, I spelled Agusta with an extra U! :banghead:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts