MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my new bike a couple of days ago I noticed it would hesitate slightly when easing on throttle from a stop. I stalled the bike several times on the way home because of this, and I quickly learned to delay releasing the clutch slightly until the engine revs picked up. There seems to be a flat spot, as though it's not getting enough fuel when you gently roll on throttle. At one point on the way home the engine died approaching a stop light just as I dropped it into neutral.

I took it into the shop this morning and the tech worked on it for about 90 minutes, and told me he's got everything adjusted exactly according to MV spec. He said it was set a little lean initially, and he corrected it, but he could not completely eliminate the slight hesitation. I still have to finesse it when pulling out from a stop. Also, the engine stalled once again when coming to a stop on the way home. Feels like it's just not getting enough fuel. It doesn't do it if I really twist the throttle quickly, just when opening it normally.

Are other F4 owners experiencing this? I had the factory race pipes and eprom installed before I picked up the bike. If anything, I would have thought the eprom would richen the mixture. Any ideas?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I went with a MotoCard when I got my Titanium exhaust and midpipe vs the EEPROM so that we could adjust the fueling just right. You could do the same with a Power Commander.

Other than that you may want to have them set the CO % a little higher than recommended. I beleive JamesC has posted his recommended settings on the forum somewhere.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Adam. I located James' posting where he talks about the CO settings. I'll ask the tech to bump mine to that value when I take it in for 1st service. James also recommended having valves set before tweaking the CO.

Haven't heard of a MotoCard. Is it similar to a PC III?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
falcopilot said:
I'll ask the tech to bump mine to that value when I take it in for 1st service. James also recommended having valves set before tweaking the CO

If you can wait until your first service at 600miles you would benefity by waiting to do:
valves -> (optional TPS) -> TB balance -> CO%

Also order and have ready to install CR9EIX iridium plugs. You'll probably need to locate SAE terminal nuts for them as well.

If you were going to install a PCIII or other fuel management system this is the time to do it. Everything would be baselined correctly for your dyno runs to trim the PCIII correctly.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JamesC said:
Also order and have ready to install CR9EIX iridium plugs. You'll probably need to locate SAE terminal nuts for them as well.

James, When I checked the NGK web site they list the CR9EIX as being for the 750 engine. They don't have a listing for the 1000 engine. Would they really use the same plug? I would have thought they need different plugs. Just want to be sure I get the right item.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
falcopilot said:
James, When I checked the NGK web site they list the CR9EIX as being for the 750 engine. They don't have a listing for the 1000 engine. Would they really use the same plug? I would have thought they need different plugs. Just want to be sure I get the right item.
Just fit them, they sorted out mine and my mates from stalling issues, I know what your thinking about that, I did too! BUT! the recomendation was from Andrea Goggi himself :eek: , so I'll bow to that one!!
He also said NOT to use Denso iridium, he reckoned the tip shape was wrong for the MV designed cylinder head. :wave:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks all. I checked the blog and found the references. I hunted around the web a bit and found the plugs at Sparkplugs.com for $6.95 USD each. Several of the MC specific sites were about $9 to $12 per plug. I ordered a set for my F4 and FJR since it's overdue for new ones. Here's the link if anyone's interested.

http://www.ngk.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=2330

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Falcopilot. I also have a F4 1000. I had it standard until 1000km service and it ran perfect, then had it fitted with the RG3, Link pipe and corse chip. It now does everything you described. Many I have spoken too down here say, that's pretty normal. I don't buy that, you must be able to tune this out, so these replies are helpful. Just letting you know you are not alone.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg, Same here on the pipes and chip, except I had them installed before I ever took the bike home. There is some info in the blog on tuning it properly, and I'm going to give it to the tech at the shop when I take it for 1st service. I'll let him know I want it set up that way, nevermind what the factory specs are. I also ordered the iridium spark plugs James recommended (see my previous note for link).

·
Registered
4 Posts
John, this is Dave from Houston Motorsports. Yes, we can try and set your bike up a little different @ the 1st service. If you need the wee bibbles for your new plugs, come by the shop and i'll sort you out or we can fit them at the service.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
integrale said:
John, this is Dave from Houston Motorsports. Yes, we can try and set your bike up a little different @ the 1st service. If you need the wee bibbles for your new plugs, come by the shop and i'll sort you out or we can fit them at the service.
Well, howdy Dave! This is a surprise. Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if you got my email or not, Yahoo said they bounced. The MV FAQ has the info on the setups, and I printed them to bring with me. I might bring the bike in this week after I hit 600 miles. I just have to figure out how to do it since I don't have a trailer (may have to rent one). The plugs haven't arrived yet, but they should get here in a few days. See you soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You got that right James. I was happily surprised to see Dave's posting here. That kind of concientiousness is engouraging. I met him last week when I took the bike in to have the stumble.stalling problem looked at. He spent about 90 minutes trying to get it running right, but the recommended settings just didn't fix it. I'm planning to take the bike in this week for first service, and hopefully get this sorted out at the same time. I should be getting the CR9EIX plugs today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well John, how is it?
I'd hoped to to hear everthing was 'jim dandy', but i fear knot(?)
I set everthing as per the the "faq" & your machine seemed very responsive.
Everthing fell into place & i was most confident i had John's problem licked.
CR9EIX PLUGS
150 mv initial
2.3 degree idle
Vacuum balanced
4.6 % c.o.
I was looking foward to the test ride.

John, any comments?

·
Registered
4 Posts
As an 'asside' i rode a 'bone stock' F4 1000 today & feared for my life as i tried to enter 1960 (busy road).
Yes this model seems extremely flaccid off idle.
Howerer, it seemed quite perkey in neutral. Snick it into gear & it's really not interested in the throttle.
Do they run off a different map in gear than neatral?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
integrale said:
As an 'asside' i rode a 'bone stock' F4 1000 today & feared for my life as i tried to enter 1960 (busy road).
Yes this model seems extremely flaccid off idle.
Howerer, it seemed quite perkey in neutral. Snick it into gear & it's really not interested in the throttle.
Do they run off a different map in gear than neatral?
Your spot on there, the ecu alters the ignition map when in gear below 3000rpm, it retards the ignition and gently advances it back to "normal" by 3000rpm.
If you take off with some enthusiam and the revs pass the 3000 mark while your slipping the clutch, it gets rather interesting :later:
I have wondered about looking whether the ecu receives a +ve or -ve signal from the neutral switch and altering it so the ecu does not know its in gear, but I can not find out whether the whole map is altered when its in gear or just the below 3000 bit. It could end up with a damaged motor if it was the latter :jsm:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
integrale said:
Well John, how is it?
I'd hoped to to hear everthing was 'jim dandy', but i fear knot(?)
I set everthing as per the the "faq" & your machine seemed very responsive.
Everthing fell into place & i was most confident i had John's problem licked.
CR9EIX PLUGS
150 mv initial
2.3 degree idle
Vacuum balanced
4.6 % c.o.
I was looking foward to the test ride.

John, any comments?
Dave,
It's a little too early at this time for a full review, as I've clocked only about 45 miles on the bike since yesterday. I did notice a distinct improvement in off-idle throttle response when pulling out from a stop. The hesitation is still there to a small degree, but it seems much less pronounced and troublesome - not stumbling as before. I haven't experienced any stalling when pulling the clutch in at low speed, as when turning or stopping, but it is too soon to be sure. I was planning to hold of until Sunday before I posted anything. That would give me time to put a couple hundred miles on to see how it behaves. Thus far, it is an improvement over the factory settings. I'll run it a bit more tomorrow and see how it shakes out.

I want to thank you for going the extra mile to try to get this straightened out. I really appreciate the effort.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts