MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the answer is to take it back to the dealer even before I describe the problem, but I'm just looking to get opinions in the meantime before I get the opportunity:

My F4 1000, which I got yesterday, will not start if left for more than about 8 minutes!

It turns over once before the relay clicks and the electrics are reset.

Charging voltage is 14.1, which is within range. After running the battery voltage stabilises at 13.25 with ignition off, but after 8 minutes it's dropped to 12.96 at which point it won't start. It'll continue to drop to around 12.5 within 12 hours.

It has an alarm fitted, but removing the alarm fuse makes no difference, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Could the battery be a dud? Anything else I can try? It's frustrating to have a new bike I can't ride and stop anywhere!

Si

·
Registered
971 Posts
if it turns out to be a knackered battery invest in a quality one as the battery is mounted on it's side and you don't want a leak!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
might check the ground going wire going to the engine block, it might be loose causing intermittent lack of charging, tho it's probably a bad battery. You also might check the batter terminal cables that they're tight.

If it turns out to be a knackered battery I won't be investing anything at all. The bike is 1 day old!

Si

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's connections because it does charge. After a ride the battery voltage is well over 13 volts. Trouble is 10 minutes later it's dropped to 12.9, where it won't start. But I would have expected anything over 12 should be enough. So I suspect it's taking volts, but not producing the amps required, so could be a duff cell or something.

Si

·
Registered
514 Posts
Donsy

Whats your thoughts on these - is it worth the investment

NEW PRODUCTS FROM MV AGUSTA SPECIAL PARTS
The MV Agusta Special Parts range has been enhanced with two additional new products: a lithium battery that provides better overall performance combined with a considerable savings in terms of weight and the MV Agusta Corse silencer that is dedicated to all of the F4 models from MY2010 to present.

The battery, which includes a charge indicator, is 65% lighter than the standard component and also offers greater longevity in addition to a faster recharge capability.

http://www.mvagusta.it/en/news/new-products-from-mv-agusta-special-parts

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Donsy

Whats your thoughts on these - is it worth the investment

NEW PRODUCTS FROM MV AGUSTA SPECIAL PARTS
The MV Agusta Special Parts range has been enhanced with two additional new products: a lithium battery that provides better overall performance combined with a considerable savings in terms of weight and the MV Agusta Corse silencer that is dedicated to all of the F4 models from MY2010 to present.

The battery, which includes a charge indicator, is 65% lighter than the standard component and also offers greater longevity in addition to a faster recharge capability.

http://www.mvagusta.it/en/news/new-products-from-mv-agusta-special-parts
Only if my existing battery had died, then I would find out how much these guys want for it first.

I run a Ballistic (12Cell) and a Racing Batteries (8Cell) battery in each bike, no problems.
With the RB being a more expensive option, but only 8cell, on cold mornings it will take 3 goes to start the MV, the Ballistic 12cell laugh's at the cold weather, and they both have the same insulation on them.

But what I like about this MV stickered battery is that it's assembled in the correct shape for the MV battery tray. Some of the other brands can be a bit awkward to install John.

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
Si..

It does sound like a dead cell in the OEM battery.. Have you got a mate you can swap batteries to confirm the fault or if you belong to the RAC or AA, ask them for a call out and get them to drop test your MV unit..

John

These new batteries will be standard fitment on MV's from mid 2013 onwards.. They are made for MV by another supplier and if I told you the cost, you'd faint from shock :jsm:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I charged it up this morning to get it running and then took it to the dealer. They replaced it immediately (without needing to take the subframe plastics or tank off to get it out from under the frankensteinian recall frame support) and after that, (touch wood), it's been fine all day. Unfortunately 15 miles down the road the speed sensor failed, but they were able to change that in a couple of hours. Top marks to Forza Italia for their customer service today!

Si

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
So confused over here Si

I charged it up this morning to get it running and then took it to the dealer. They replaced it immediately (without needing to take the subframe plastics or tank off to get it out from under the frankensteinian recall frame support) and after that, (touch wood), it's been fine all day. Unfortunately 15 miles down the road the speed sensor failed, but they were able to change that in a couple of hours. Top marks to Forza Italia for their customer service today!

Si
So what year was your bike manufactured ? Has it got the re-call bracket on the "old" sub-frame or has it got the later model sub-frame ? Pictures ? I was under the impression you could not remove the battery with the re-call bracket in place ?
Have you got the cute bracket's on the pillion footpeg bolt's also.:jsm:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It must have been a '10 build as the frame number is within the range listed in the recall notice. (i checked to make sure.) Though I was under the impression when I bought it that it was a 2011 but that was probably my mistake as I opted for that one from stock when they expressed doubt they could get a red+silver or a black one in a hurry. So that's my bad for not being clued up enough despite going square eyed reading everything I could on the various year builds since 2010 beforehand. Had I known I would have looked around for one made after the subframe issue was fixed. MV are discounting new unsold pre-2013 bikes at the moment, until they run out.

But it's had all the critical and advisable recall updates done so apart from the subframe botch brace, it's up to spec to 2012 as far as I know. And to confuse further, since it'd never been previously sold and registered, it's on a '13 UK reg plate!

Yes, it has the brace that extends to he rear of the pillion pegs. But he did not have to do anything other than loosen the visible bolts (and maybe those under the small side panels) to move the brace enough to slide the battery out. Certainly didn't take the tank or rear panels off.

Si

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just checked my 2010. The new battery is a Yuasa and is 4mm smaller in width than the Koyo that comes as standard. The battery slides out if you remove the relay to the positive battery terminal that is bolted through the sub frame to the rear of the battery box.
Because of the lower plates that bolt to the rear footpeg hangers and the top bolts the frame does not rotate to let the original battery out without removing the panels, tank etc.
Si, pleased your problem is solved for now. Other than the battery removal I have had no other issues with the bike and its now done 9000km. Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Si
We met at Forza Italia today, hope all is now o/k. Agree the service you get from them is indeed first class

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh hi Bruce!

After I left, I was back there half an hour later because my speed sensor had failed. But Ian dropped everything, got to work fixing it and lent me their Hornet 600 so I could accrue some sunburn on my neck rather than sitting around for a couple of hours. Top service indeed and jolly nice folks.

Si

1 - 17 of 17 Posts