MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"So, the bike arrived today." Sounds like the start of a novel.

Shipper was great, no damage on his end. First thing I noticed was that engine runs fine, at least at idle. The fairings are misaligned so that the rear brake lever hits the right fairing (there are no marks on the fairing so it may have been something the shop did when they changed the oil). Anyway, I can't ride it like that.

So of the D-rings are missing, the carbon around the key area is all scratched up, there is only one key. Some misalignments up top between the gas tank and (airbox?).

There is something Fast By Ferracci up by the yoke, the pipes are REALLY shiny (titanium?), some water on the garage floor after I parked the bike after getting it off the trailer, but that may be because it has been on the trailer.

That's all I had time for so far, before I ride a 20+ year old bit of Italian tech I'm going to pull the fairings and look for awfuls. I've had old Ducatis before...

Anyway, hello all. I've been thinking about getting an F4 for ages, wish me luck. Will be reading the forums, and asking questions and taking pix. Advice appreciated.

#F4, #2000, #maintenance, #project

·
Old Wing Nut
22,956 Posts
OK...so you have the Workshop and Engine Manuals?....
Get a PitBull stand (or one of many others) for the garage. You might look into a Bursig stand if you want to be able to lift both ends and remove the forks or rear hub (there are other methods, but the Bursig is brilliant).
You can do a lot with out needing any "special tools".
Service the hub, don't overfill the coolant reservoir (minimum mark is the cold maximum mark).
KurveyGirl has DZus fasteners.
Have fun !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to download the manuals, looks like they are available here. I'll have to give the forum some money, looks like a useful place. KurveyGirl?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will start posting pix this week. Have had a busy weekend with fwends. There is a ?sensor? that has been removed near the exhaust (clipped off). Misalignment between airbox and fuel tank. Chain is sticky. There were missing DZUS fasteners but the fairing themselves look ok, and as mentioned, the rear brake lever was striking the under fairing.

I have a (rear) Pitbull stand on order, bought a new helmet and gloves, got chain cleaner and lube (and DZUS fasteners).

Engine is clean, fairings don't show signs of oil or coolant leaks, no cracks in fairings, tires look good.

Any of you done business with Munroe Motors in San Francisco? Seem like nice people.

Projects are fun. On with the show! :)

·
Old Wing Nut
22,956 Posts
Where exactly is this "sensor" ?? How many wires and what color?
Monroe Motors has been around a long time. Let us know how you get on with them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Sensor" It was mounted to the frame on the left side by the exhaust. I'll take pix. I'm sure it will be easy to find in a manual. I just have not had time to get there yet. Just clipped off wires there now.

A clue might be that the exhaust is not iron, though it has MV numbers, but I'm fairly certain it isn't the stock came-with-bike exhaust.

·
Old Wing Nut
22,956 Posts
The first gen F4 750 did not have a lambda (O2) sensor or exhaust valve, also no catalytic converter. The RG3 Arrow exhaust is/was the MV Corse option and looks like the stock exhaust except it has less sound deadening muffler tips.
Can't think of any sensor down there other than the brake light switch. The Neutral light switch is under the engine (single wire). The speed sensor is on the drive sprocket cover.....
hmmm

And this is a 2000 model (first year in USA), right? 8th character from the end of the VIN is a "Y"?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The first gen F4 750 did not have a lambda (O2) sensor or exhaust valve, also no catalytic converter. The RG3 Arrow exhaust is/was the MV Corse option and looks like the stock exhaust except it has less sound deadening muffler tips.
Can't think of any sensor down there other than the brake light switch. The Neutral light switch is under the engine (single wire). The speed sensor is on the drive sprocket cover.....
hmmm

And this is a 2000 model (first year in USA), right? 8th character from the end of the VIN is a "Y"?
I'm pretty certain this is a non-ferrous exhaust*. We'll see.

I'm just learning, I knew the Ducati Darmah and 900SS pretty well, not so much this beastie. More info later.

VIN = ZCGAGFLJ8YV100163

*or a ceramic coating

·
Old Wing Nut
22,956 Posts
Yep....2000 year model.
Does it have 2 radiators? Original only had one, but MV did a warranty campaign to add the second one found on later 750s due to massive overheating complaints.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts