MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
really? well, it looks effectively the same at first glance, which i guess would be nice so you know what it is.

is it really going to be a 1098?

oh, i'm sorry, i mean 1078?? :wtf:

·
Registered
756 Posts
+1 :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
At 190 horsepower MV Agusta have tested the F4 RR 312 up to a top speed of 312km/h (194Mph) hence the 312 in the name. New is a boost in cubes and the F4 now gets a very powerful 1078cc in-line four. The new F4 RR is a mix between the super exclusive F4 CC (1078-76x79) and the F4 R 312 (996). The extra R in the model name is truly justified when looking at the spec sheet. MV Agusta claims in its press release that one of the goals was to be faster than a Boeing 747 at take off. But fast as it may be, it is barred from world superbike racing due to the size of the engine. So, MV Agusta will continue to make the F4 1000, but for racing purely. The F4 1000 gets the same updates as the RR though which involves a new slipper clutch, gear ratios, suspension changes and new brakes. Homologation for racing will be taken care off by MV. Other subtle news are new design on the trademark four pipes where the end is now stubbier like a slice of salami (MV said it themselves...) New headlight unit and smoked screen from the F4 CC. The Sachs steering damper from the CC is also in place on the RR. One of the most sexy additions might be the Brembo monoblock callipers that makes the MV even more Italian than before if possible... They are Brembo racing items as seen in World superbike, but with an additional dust cover for street maintenance. Peak torque is now reached at 8.200rpm rather than the old peaky 10.000rpm. And the figure is a massive 124Nm.

I like really they have taken teh carbon look plastic away and went for the brutale soft finish! I might "upgrade" to soft plastic to match my R rear fender!!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
If that bike really does 1078 kph I'll eat my hat! :)

Si
It could have reached mach1 up in the sky!!

The Mach number is commonly used both with objects travelling at high speed in a fluid, and with high-speed fluid flows inside channels such as nozzles, diffusers or wind tunnels. As it is defined as a ratio of two speeds, it is a dimensionless number. At a temperature of 15 degrees Celsius and at sea level, Mach 1 is 340.3 m/s (1,225 km/h, 761.2 mph, or 661.7 kn) in the Earth's atmosphere. The speed represented by Mach 1 is not a constant; For example, it is dependent on temperature and atmospheric composition. In the stratosphere it remains constant irrespective of altitude even though the air pressure varies with altitude.

Since the speed of sound increases as the temperature increases, the actual speed of an object travelling at Mach 1 will depend on the fluid temperature around it. Mach number is useful because the fluid behaves in a similar way at the same Mach number. So, an aircraft travelling at Mach 1 at sea level (340.3 m/s, 1,225.08 km/h) will experience shock waves in much the same manner as when it is travelling at Mach 1 at 11,000 m (36,000 ft), even though it is travelling at 295 m/s (654.632 mph, 1,062 km/h, 86% of its speed at sea level).

·
Registered
49 Posts
1078 kph !!! ha ha. Very funny Cat Whisperer. When I get my F4RR I'll sue the factory if it doesn't do 600+mph.Apologies Stephen Wood.Couldn't resist it.Hope you get your particular bike to go faster.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
what do they mean about an exhaust redesign? well, i guess the rumors will be over this week. only facts. and it looks like no more "real/fake monoblock" threads. ;)

also hope they don't do another pearl/black. it would be more special being made for just one year IMO. however, it must be a hard thing to deal w/ paint/decal schemes. i think they are breaking the naturally aggressive lines of the body work with this paint scheme. but what do i know...i have an old evo2. :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
This bike, the 1078 (if it really exists), seems to be further confirmation that MV Agusta has no real interest in sanctioned racing events. I don't care if they are still making a 1000 for "racing purposes". They don't have a factory team. They decided not to develop the current 1000. Nice.

So I guess it really is the Lamborghini in comparison to the Ferrari. It's for posers, not for people interested in racing.

Unbelieveable. I can't believe I just said MVs are now for posers.

I'm sure I'll get over it at some point. I love the bike. But all these years of waiting for a real factory race team seem to be over now.

·
Registered
571 Posts
acruhl said:
This bike, the 1078 (if it really exists), seems to be further confirmation that MV Agusta has no real interest in sanctioned racing events. I don't care if they are still making a 1000 for "racing purposes". They don't have a factory team. They decided not to develop the current 1000. Nice.

So I guess it really is the Lamborghini in comparison to the Ferrari. It's for posers, not for people interested in racing.

I'm sure I'll get over it at some point. I love the bike. But all these years of waiting for a real factory race team seem to be over now.

+1.

1078, nothing new. I was expecting the 675 – 3 cylinder, but it looks like they will sell the F4 as long as Castilione and Tamburini are alive!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
They will have a factory team, but not with the F4.
The really new MV will be one they are going to race :f4:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
acruhl said:

I think this just further sets the stage for 1100cc four cycliners to compete against 1200cc twins -especially if Ducati's 1098R does well.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
I think this just further sets the stage for 1100cc four cycliners to compete against 1200cc twins -especially if Ducati's 1098R does well.
I haven't heard that rumor. If there is truth to it, I find it ridiculous. What possible purpose could it serve to increase to 1100cc 4 cylinder bikes? It's just a vicious cycle (or downward spiral, depending on perspective).

I've said it a million times. They could have fixed this long ago when it was still 750 fours versus 1000 twins. There's no reason why that formula can't still work, other than the fact that everyone thinks they need a 1000cc or larger bike these days...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Andy, it's not a rumor. Just my personal speculation based on what happened with the 750/1000, then Ducati creating a bike it could not race unless the rules were changed, and now MV creating a bike that could not be raced unless rules were changed.

And you're right. It think it is a cycle design to allow manufacturers to make newer products horsepower power products since horse power sells. It's all a conspiracy. ;)

Seriously, I think alot depends on how well Ducati does with the 1098R. And I think MV took a page off of Ducati's marketing strategy. Ducati built a bike it couldn't race and it still sold well (but I think there were other factors in the 1098's success besides a bigger engine). So, maybe MV figures a bigger engine will give them another year?

1 - 20 of 133 Posts