MV Agusta Forum banner

New F3

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  cccpNyC 
#1 ·
Well picked up my new 2018 F3 675 in Escondido yesterday. Rode it all the way home to Vegas. It's def not a touring bike, dear lordy my bony ass is sore :laugh:
So almost the entire trip back, it was 2 bars away from max heat+, but I started traveling at about 5, so it wasn't too hot out. Today I rode for about 40 miles and it got hot super quick, to max heat. No engine warning, but F me it was way too hot. Then about 4 miles from home I get a Lambda sensor error. What the flapjacks. Def not the happiest right now. In reading I have to see if the radiator fan is kicking in. I took off the passenger pegs, that shouldn't make any difference with the Lambda sensor right? :|

#2 ·
No, taking off the pegs should make any difference. I would give your dealer a ring and see what they recommend. Usually my 675 runs at the mid point or 1 over the mid point, but it's probably way colder in the UK.

I would be asking the dealer to collect and deliver if you have only just picked it up. I'm sure MV comes with some sort of pick up and rescue whilst in warranty.

#5 ·
The trip from Escondido to Las Vegas is all up hill. I've done the drive from Orange County and the girl I was with mentioned to watch the temp gauge and not to drive to aggressive. Its known to be hard on engine temps.

I would try to let the engine adapt to las vegas as well now that you are there. You are 2,000 ft above sea level so the ECU may not have adapted correctly and throwing a sensor code.

I would start bike and let it run till fan kicks in and then let it run some more fan cycles. Watch the temp gauge while doing this. Also, make sure your coolant level is at minimum mark before starting bike.

#8 ·
Whelp it's at the dealer, so hopefully they can get this all straightened out. I want to put some miles on the damn thing! :grin2:

I drove it to the dealer (made sure it was ok to do so with what was wrong) and it stayed about 3 bars from max for the first bit (10miles) then jumped to max again quick. Something is def wonky. sigh.

Reactions: jdgun
#10 ·
Got it back, they put a new radiator cap on rated for the track :grin2:
Took it on a 50 mile ride, got 1 bar above middle for the whole trip, went up 1 more bar on the street ride at the end. But in all fairness, it was 108 degrees outside lol.

Only had the damn thing a week and already needs it's 600 mile service.

Rode over to Bellisimoto yesterday. Man I am going to empty my bank account there on upgrades :crying:
Matte carbon all the things!

Reactions: nigelrb
#11 ·
Not bad for 108 degrees F! These bikes do not like to ride slow or in partial throttle openings in terms of heat. They are meant to be ridden wide open and hard. Do me a favor and ride it hard after the temp gauge stops blinking for a cold engine warning. It will run rich enough and probably stay at 3 bars.

Today I rode behind Porsche 911 turbo cabriolet. Normally the leader has one of 16 bikes but he is moving so car it was today. Anyway, the pace was a little slower than usual (not by much)and my temp gauge did sit at middle or 1 above. It never does that when I'm by myself.

Fuel cools the engine. A sport bike uses fuel to control temps. Running at part throttle the bike cares more about emissions so it will run hotter and cleaner.

#12 · (Edited)
These bikes do not like to ride slow or in partial throttle openings in terms of heat. They are meant to be ridden wide open and hard. Do me a favor and ride it hard after the temp gauge stops blinking for a cold engine warning. It will run rich enough and probably stay at 3 bars.
This is why F3 engines will blow.

Just bequase the temperature gauge stops blinking doesnt mean engine is warm and ready to crank that bitch up to 15.000rpm.
Hell no, I have to dissagree with that.

Im definitely not an expert, heck im a rookie in this but I'd say a solid 10-20 minutes is needed to completely warm up engine components. You know engineblock itself, oil, coolant. Then the fun begins.

#19 ·
All seems to be going well, been on a few rides now with temp hovering +1 the mid mark.

In other news...brake reservoir covers came in. Pretty :mouthwate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.