MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New engine in an old carcass!

Just digesting all the great photos from the 07 Milan Bike show. However, I’m a little disappointed why MV has decided to put this new 1078 engine in an old carcass, why?
Furthermore, who’s going to buy this bike? OK, if your trading up from a 750, I can understand your purchase, however we all pretty much know the new model launch will be next year. Is it just the case of MV trying yet again to squeeze every last drop of blood out of this model? Yes it’s still a good looking bike for its age and it has stood the test of time, but its time for a new model! It will also be interesting to see if the bike suffers with any over heating issues.

At the moment and in my opinion, MV is fast becoming a fashion accessory. Never could understand why they teamed up with a watch manufacturer.

If MV wants to be taken seriously on the world racing stage (WSB) then quite simply, they need to go racing. Even at this 07 Milan bike show, dusting off the cobwebs and wheeling out Giacomo Agostini who raced for Count Agusta back in the day. Yes, this guy is a legend, however and quite frankly, we need modern race riders to help sell and promote this brand. We need to be back on the world stage of racing. Even through the dark days of the 999 sales, Ducati did this very well. Irrespective of our feelings towards the 999, this bike kept Ducati in winning ways and also kept the company in the spotlight!

I believe MV need to concentrate all there efforts on getting a team into the WSB and working on this new F4 model. All this business of trying to out do their neighbours, with the most expensive bike in the world or the fastest bike in the world. They need to get back on the world stage!

We all love this brand and its roots are entrenched in motorcycle racing history. Let’s bring the past into the future!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think you have two issues confused.

Firstly it takes a lot of money to go WSBK and a hell of lot more for Moto Gp. MV obviously do not have the resources to do it without a major backer. CC has allways said they will not got racing at that level until they can do it properly.

Secondly, to bring out a complete new model, will not change the above fact.

I don't think anyone will argue that we (and bike fans world wide) would love to see MV 's at that level. It will happen but in good time.

As for being a fashion accessory, have you ever seen the Ducati stuff in their shops? A lot more than just watches!, they apparantly modelled themselves on Harley when the USA company TPG had control. Ducati has really gone into the whole lifestyle fashion area, and I must say, have done a great job. So whats wrong with that? MV is no where even close to Ducati in the fashion stakes. Oh and have a look at what Aprilia, Moto Guzzi and KTM have in the fashion area, you can see they are doing what Ducati has done so well.

As for racing Ducati's, and this comes from a very big fan. Ducati have been successful at WSBK by running essentialy one off machines through very liberal rules. This has been at the expense of privateers,. The grids world wide were once full of 916' and 748's, have a look around, not many domestic series have any privateers running Ducatis. In Australia Ducati pulled out of SBK and SS years ago. So none racing. Guess which Italian marques are, yes MV and some Aprillias.
If I am right Ducati pulled out of AMA, (and at least MV had a go).
What is interesting is the MV teams globally are being run by privateers, the same privateers that could not afford to run a Ducati and keep it maintained and competitive.
In some European countries there are some Ducati's running but are usully have some satelite support with the factory.
In fact in the racing circles down here, Ducati is not even on anyones radar because they simply cannot afford to field them. The new 1198R will probably sell for around A$60,000. a GSXR 1000 is A$18,000, see the problem for a privateer? A MV 312R is A$33,000 and is allready competitive with other I4's, but with higher spec components. You can see why it is becoming the attractive option for those wanting to race a non Japanese machine. (The 1098 is just not competitive against the I4)

So yes DUCATI are fantastic at the elite level, and good on them, but at the expense of privateers. I can see why CC is doing what he is doing. This is a smart guy, and CRC are a fantastic group, I am sure it will be worth it, in the long run.

Sorry for my long ramble!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MVASYD, you raised some very interesting points. However, MV need to progress with the new generation F4. How long can they keep flogging a dead horse? Thats probably why bike mag's don't fully report on these new paint scheme models.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I do agree on all what has been said on this blog i am also a proud owner of an MV and yes its time that they realy start to live up to the legend and start racing seriuosly at all levels to sell more bikes,i would surely want to see Mv back on all poduims and thats wat they are about and have been doing for years is racing and build fast reliable bikes for track and street ,all they should do from the factory side is to realy concentrate on getting back on the poduims does not matter what it takes to get there.there are to many excuses from the owners and before long if they dont pull out a rabbit from the hat i will be selling my MV soon and go back to Ducati and Jap bikes before MV becomes the laughing stock.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Initially I was disappointed, but only about the 675.

I am now happy to see a further progression of the F4. I would never upgrade for a few more cc's and extra hp....and it means we all still have the 'current' shape for another year at least.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I know nothing about racing but here is a question: is it possible that MV is not racing so that they can devote their financial resources to a new bike. Why go racing with a 10 year old design? Once they have the new bike ready to go, THEN they will start to campaign it in WSBK or whatever?

Does this make sense or am I smoking crack?

CAG

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Yes sure it would be phantastic if the MV's would be back on World Championship Racing. But only if competitive. They even tried to start their World Superbike Campaigne, but Foggy didn't found Sponsors. Here are Guys pointing out that MV should go racing at all cost's, so why didn't this impatient fellows write some cheques to MV or Foggy. On the other hand I think their support for AMA, FIM Superstock, Italian, German, Australian Superstock was pretty good. Team Klaffi and STP report on our web site that they are pretty happy with their Package. I believe that CC is doing in fact a quite smart business, because first of all has MV Agusta to be financial healthy. Developing new models is not a piece of cake and cost's millions of Dollars. By the Way here is mostly overseen that the 1000 will be further developed for racing

·
Registered
520 Posts
Very interesting thread and I agree with most of the views made. I too would love to see a formal works race team on the scene, however I suspect the budget is the problem. Not withstanding MVs financial status, it is imperative that they now move forward. Triumph pushed the limits of sticking with their modular design before finally introducing real 'style' in the form of the T595. It was only then that a steady flow of new models started to appear. Had they not introduced the 595 I reckon they could have got themselves into major difficulties.

We are all of course loyal to MV but they need to keep attracting new customers and new customes won't be too inclined to switch to a design that is 10/11 (and counting) years old! MV will find it harder and harder to shift their bikes, and with no pennies coming in will never go racing. The age of the design was a concern when I bought my R, but I just loved it so much, I had to have it. There will always be people with the same view, but they will reduce as time goes on and MV could become a smaller operation unless they move forward Now!

I think the 675 is a good direction, but the F4 must get updated as well...
its a personal thing...but in my view....you can't beat cubes!!!!
Tont

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wow- this is obviously a smart well informed group, worthy of recongition. The points made here are all valid and true in my eye's. I think we will all agree that the F4 design, while beautiful and special to all of us, needs to be allowed to move into history, with the dignity and respect it deserves. It is a model that has served both the company and it's customers fairly well and can pretty much be credited for putting MV, as a exotic bike manufactor back on the map. So for me and because of all of that I don't think it should be subjected to any further prostitution by them. She has served you well and loyal, so don't thank her by trying to putting a cheap trashy dress on her and making her work off the bills now. :blush:
With that said I think we all sincerely want to see MV do well, be competative at some point again, and prosper as a company. To many of these passion driven companies have fallen victim to finacial woes caused by excessive risk taking already. I think CC and the guy's are really just trying to get their ducks-in-row financially speaking and play this round out as smartly as possible, before they ultimitly make their next move. At least I hope that's what this all means. :humpother
I know one thing for sure. If we are going to go back into to racing (which is something I would like to think will happen eventually) it should be done with a eye towards actually winning and not just showing up. Showing up with a bike that says "MV" all over it and then ultimitely getting our heads handed to us, doesn't really help anyone :shitfan: .

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MV1 said:
Wow- this is obviously a smart well informed group, worthy of recongition. The points made here are all valid and true in my eye's. I think we will all agree that the F4 design, while beautiful and special to all of us, needs to be allowed to move into history, with the dignity and respect it deserves. It is a model that has served both the company and it's customers fairly well and can pretty much be credited for putting MV, as a exotic bike manufactor back on the map. So for me and because of all of that I don't think it should be subjected to any further prostitution by them. She has served you well and loyal, so don't thank her by trying to putting a cheap trashy dress on her and making her work off the bills now. :blush:
With that said I think we all sincerely want to see MV do well, be competative at some point again, and prosper as a company. To many of these passion driven companies have fallen victim to finacial woes caused by excessive risk taking already. I think CC and the guy's are really just trying to get their ducks-in-row financially speaking and play this round out as smartly as possible, before they ultimitly make their next move. At least I hope that's what this all means. :humpother
I know one thing for sure. If we are going to go back into to racing (which is something I would like to think will happen eventually) it should be done with a eye towards actually winning and not just showing up. Showing up with a bike that says "MV" all over it and then ultimitely getting our heads handed to us, doesn't really help anyone :shitfan: .

+1

·
Registered
571 Posts
nicensleazy said:
...... How long can they keep flogging a dead horse?
It is a very hard expression!
F4 is an old model, but still the most think over bike. (Tamburini edition has the rear shock absorber that now 1098R has. Is it 3-4 years past?) :f4:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
pigiolino said:
Yes,Is true!!!!I saw the bikes yesterday in person...
Old carcass and new engine,but less improvement.....
989= 15.200 euro 1078= 18.400 euro...
mah..
pier
Wow, those prices really don't make any sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts