MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
Welcome to the family.!! But what do you mean "I’m just the one who has to deal with this thing. Of course, I already have a problem."......

Does she ride it, or do you? And what problem? Not a problematic bike at all, and you're still in warranty if there is something wrong.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

I am guessing by problem you mean Motorcycle Addiction?!?! :grin2: >:)

IF so post up some pic's of your bikes as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the family.!! But what do you mean "I’m just the one who has to deal with this thing. Of course, I already have a problem."......

Does she ride it, or do you? And what problem? Not a problematic bike at all, and you're still in warranty if there is something wrong.
Nah nothing that needs warranty. Thank god. Nearest dealership is... right where you live I think. 4 hrs each way for me. One reason I didn’t want this thing. I have a 40 ac farm so you can imagine the time I spend on tasks just to maintain the place. 15 oil changes a year just as a start!(this is all self inflicted BTW)

I should tack this on to the big thread about the wheel nut but you asked, so here it is.

Flat rear tire. Not the bike’s fault of course but after reading all the threads about the rear nut... yep the design is a POS as other have found. So I’m $60 into a special socket....$150 into it for a pneumatic gun(admittedly I’ve needed one). And it still won’t move a single mm. Corrosion on this thing for sure. It was all over the little retention clip so I bet it’s all on the threads too.

I put penetrating oil in there. Got a breaker bar. Had wife(140 lbs) sit on bike on hold the brakes. I had so much force on the bar that I lifted the rear tire off the ground with wife sitting on bike! Zero movement of the nut. Zero. Yes I’m turning it the correct direction.

I do wonder if there’s something different with this particular model that is not covered in the threads here or the maintenance manual. It doesn’t seems so but you never know.

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
@Falcondrvr: You do know that nut is reverse threaded, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum!!

I am guessing by problem you mean Motorcycle Addiction?!?!

IF so post up some pic's of your bikes as well
Let’s see. I should have a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thats some high faluting farm living... on the nut: perhaps try some heat with torch? Old trick on snowmobile clutch nuts.

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
Patience is the key with the nut....let the Impact Wrench work its magic. Give it the time to break the oxidation and move the nut. No need for high pressure/high torque. The multiple hammer blows will eventually break the bond free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah we enjoy it. But there’s nothing simple(or cheap) about farm living that’s for sure.

Will try some heat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I remember you mentioning that in another one of those threads. Unfortunately my compressor shit out yesterday(after 10 years) so that’s gonna have to wait till the new one shows up. I will definitely get back to hammering away.

Got a Makita MAC2400 on the way. Always wanted one but I’m a cheap ass so I held out till now.

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
I had the same problem with my SPR years ago when I first got it. Can't understand why it was so belligerent about loosing up. My 1/2 drive impact wouldn't get it. My froends 3/4 inch impact sheared off the adapters connecting it to the 1/2 drive socket.

I ended up making a 1" drive socket and getting my friend with a 1" impact gun to knock it loose !!

Here is the story of my trials and tribulations with photos:

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/46242-rear-wheel-nut-just-not-going-come-off-without-fight.html

Go to page 6 and post 59 if you don't want to read it all.

If you need it I will happily loan you the tool. Just pay the postage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You have a nice collection going there.. Although I am surprised there isn't a Super Duke 1290 lurking in that garage >:) >:) >:)

Thanks. Some are gone. The R1 and DRZ are long sold. They we awesome bikes. Both were my wife’s. She also sold her Ninja 650 and a CRF250r. I never sell anything. Have had my Superhawk for 15 years. No plans to ever sell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had the same problem with my SPR years ago when I first got it. Can't understand why it was so belligerent about loosing up. My 1/2 drive impact wouldn't get it. My froends 3/4 inch impact sheared off the adapters connecting it to the 1/2 drive socket.

I ended up making a 1" drive socket and getting my friend with a 1" impact gun to knock it loose !!

Here is the story of my trials and tribulations with photos:

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/46242-rear-wheel-nut-just-not-going-come-off-without-fight.html

Go to page 6 and post 59 if you don't want to read it all.

If you need it I will happily loan you the tool. Just pay the postage.
Thanks for the advice and offer. She did break loose today though. Got the new comp up and running. Went at it for a few mins and it spun loose. Now I have to get the 200 tire out from around this damn stock exhaust system.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts