MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps

With all the rain we've had recently, and with my bike already fully fettled for the - ahem! - coming summer, I've more-or-less run out of things to be doing, so..

..I got out the rattle cans and painted one of my old grp/Kevlar helmets to match the bike. It's still in need of a final flatting/polishing, but it's turned out rather decent (..for the princely sum of approx. £20! :wtf: )

Steve

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
That's a really fine effort.
You're no a weeee bit Scottish are ye? :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a really fine effort.
You're no a weeee bit Scottish are ye? :)
My grandad's name was Hector Macdonald Bell, so I guess there might just be a little Scottish blood in me somewhere. :laughing: (..I've not got the legs for a kilt though :wtf: ).

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you paint the 'MV Cag' as well or is it a decal?
It's a very thin water-slide transfer. It was a bit scary trying to apply it without tearing it. (..good job I built so many Airfix kits in days of yore! :laughing: )

·
2,156 Posts
Nice one S, you could make a living out of buying up old helmets and giving them a refurb :naughty::naughty::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Nice work, and it really looks 70ish too.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
My grandad's name was Hector Macdonald Bell, so I guess there might just be a little Scottish blood in me somewhere. :laughing: (..I've not got the legs for a kilt though :wtf: ).
:laughing:
Excellent

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Liking it very much!:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers chaps. It was an experiment really, and as the helmet's an old one I had nothing to lose.

On the subject of old helmets, and to diversify a little..
A post elsewhere on the board asks whether old helmets are 'safe' to be used. IMHO everything is relative, and you'd be safer using one than going without. The helmet I've painted is made from Kevlar/GRP, and is lined with maybe three inches of polystyrene and foam. Despite its age, it will absorb impact shock better than my skull, I expect.

In the 90+ years prior to 1973, motorcycle riders' in the UK could decide for themselves whether to wear a helmet or not. Most of them did without one - and over half a million motorcycles were on Britain's roads as early as 1924. The bikes weren't as fast in those days, for sure, but fast enough to cause one some pain if they were thrown down the road.

A chap I speak to at a local bike meet wears only a thinly padded skull cap when riding his Harley, but on my expressing alarm at the 'huge risk' he was taking, he pointed at the rest of his attire, which was some of the heaviest I've ever seen. I'm sure his leathers were in fact lined with whale blubber and his boots were of steel. He then pointed out the number of riders who were wandering aroung the car park with top-of-the-range Arai RX7RRRRXYZ helmets under their arms - but who were wearing thin jeans instead of leathers and only trainers on their feet. Were they risking any less than he?

Now I'm not saying he's right or wrong to hold the views he holds re. helmets, but he certainly made me think. How much is our safety dependent upon attitude? I've ridden for over thirty years without once having an 'off', and IMHO it hasn't been wholly by chance. My riding reflects my sensible, 'safety-first' attitude, and is likely a product of my many years in instructing others on road safety; I could no more take an unneccesary risk whilst riding than I could deliberately self-harm with a sharpened blade. Because of this, I'm passed many times by those who likely consider themselves 'better' riders (ahem!). It amuses me to witness the knee-scraping antics and blind-brow overtaking some of them are guilty of. Ah, but they're perfectly safe, aren't they?! After all, they're wearing the best equipment! They've a top-of-the-range Arai protecting their pea-like brain! Hmm. In truth, I'd be at less risk than these chaps were I to be riding naked.

Steve

·
Registered
128 Posts
very good job on the helmet . i like your theory. makes a lot of sense . most safety is common sense . we are also gratefull you shared the pic pf the helmet and not your scottish legs .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts