MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Brutale (2005 with 15k) that has been sitting for 2 years...
-Crappy oil
-Crappy fuel
-Never had a valve adjustment

So I figured I would do the basics of an oil change, fuel drain and refill with stabilized premium, and going over basics.

I bought this bike thinking it ran. I bought it cheap enough that even if it did not run, I was not going to be out a ton of money, so here is the lowdown.

I brought my ninja 250 battery there to start it. Fuel pump primed, starter only clicked when I tried to turn it over. I figure there is not enough juice... So I give the guy cash and walk off with the bike.

I buy a brand new battery for the bike. Fuel pump does not even prime. I believe it did once, and I pressed start and the bike just clicked again. As if a dead battery.

I have done a short search... Seems to me like the SPU is a pain on this bike, and I am wondering if this is characteristic symptom-wise?

I have no problem replacing it, but do not want to replace it if it is something else. Anybody have any insight?

Sorry for this being my first post!

·
Super Moderator
22,332 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,332 Posts
Once you get it sorted, you will enjoy the ride.

Things to do: Get the new SPU, check/refresh the rear hub, replace the fuel lines and filter in the tank...with the CORRECT SPEC SUBMERSIBLE HOSE.....correctly adjust the chain tension.

·
Administrator
19,833 Posts
Also would suggest checking your battery polarity. Battery lies on its side!!!

Take off the left engine cover (with F4 on it) and put a wrench on the crankshaft and turn the engine over by hand. Just to make sure it isn't seized up (I hope not, but just to make sure).
It is almost always something simple.

The SPU is a well known problem, but generally doesn't affect the starter (but it could). Try jumping the starter solenoid to confirm the starter is doing its thing. Then go on to why it doesn't energize when you press the button.

Where are you??? Welcome to the family. Lot's of help availability here. Great people from all over the world!!

By the way, there is a fellow in the USA selling a new SPU...check the For Sale section.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gentleman for the warm welcome!

I am in Michigan. About an hour north of Detroit. I have a daily Ducati Hypermotard and a couple of Ninjas (250 and 500). So happy to be on another italian stallion.

@silentservice

Thanks for the tips. I suppose those are all common problems and can be found with instructions doing a simple search here on the forum. Will do, thanks! I unfortunately only have a month left before it starts to snow here, so I might have to make it a winter project.

@esqz_me

Thanks. So your first impression is my symptoms are not SPU related? Or are you just saying start with eliminating basics first? Wait a second, the battery lies on it's side? Huh? Mine fits in the tray standing up (I haven't put seat on yet..)

I guess it is best if I get pictures for everyone. maybe better explain my scenario. Or videos. I will also check the for sale section.

It appears STAR TWIN is the go to shop for our bikes? They will have the correct hose you speak of, correct silentservice?

·
Administrator
19,833 Posts
saumo,
Star Twin is in Europe. They do a good job of supplying parts, but you may find a US dealer can do just as well, without overseas shipping cost/delay.
Some MV dealers do a good job of supporting the product...some not so much.

The stock Yuasa battery lies on its side. Sitting upright it is easy to get polarity reversed if you aren't paying attention.

SPU (the original) is a notorious electrical bug, but usually affecting lights and other low amperage relay controlled stuff.

Donsy has given us all the gift of service manual access....and will chime in with his vast experience when appropriate.

Noel (our official forum curmudgeon) has sourced a lot of maintenance items (such as o-rings, bearings, etc) from the aftermarket and has listed those resources for us. Save big money!!! Also cross reference info for best oil filters, fuel filters and such.

The high pressure submersible fuel line is available at auto parts stores and other places. The non-pressurized vent hoses are just single layer neoprene fuel line...

Enjoy the ride.

·
Super Moderator
22,332 Posts
Holland, MI?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I am actually in Shelby Twp, MI.

Quite some distance from Holland!

I will check fuses first and foremost before I get back to this thread!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Negative post should be facing the front of the bike.
Positive post should be facing the rear of the bike unless wiring has been modified from stock. That's why the battery is on its side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well gentlemen and ladies too??,

I want to thank everyone for pointing out how idiotic I am, but ultimately helping me find the lone wire that once connected, fired the bike right up.

Upon starting it, there are three things that come to mind, one being next round of help I might need...

1. I plan to do an oil change this weekend (not riding it in the meantime)

2. It has never had a valve adjustment and is 15,XXX. Can anyone tell me how finicky valves are and if you think they are way out of spec or not? If I can ride it a couple hundred miles, no problem, or if I shouldn't dare ride it a mile.

3. MAIN ISSUE:
My clutch lever, when pulled all the way in, is acting as if the lever is half-released to engage the clutch. Whereas normally you release the clutch lever enough (1 inch or so) to engage the clutch, mine is engaging the clutch like .0001mm away. There is no play before the bike starts to move.

My first thought (like most other bikes) was to adjust the nut here or there on motor and lever side, but I found none of that. Is everything on this bike hydraulic??? Would one then guess that I potentially have air in my lines?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool, done.

Thanks gents.

After oil change, I think I might pay my local ducati dealer to check the valves (process of taking everything apart seems too much time for me than I have) - I just don't know how well I can trust them. (my local dealer is 4 hours away)

As for the shifting issue, I guess I will start with bleeding first (potentially air)

Then I could look into push rod and as deep as into clutch plates and so forth.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts