MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to have a look at the new Brutale 1000RR at a local dealer last Friday, silly thing to do because now I find myself hatching all sorts of mad schemes to buy one! It is a hell of a thing!

They're getting a factory demo bike next week so I'll be taking a blast on it!

My heads still telling me that £27K for ANY bike is utter madness but the urge is strong!

Thing is, I'm old school about buying things so I won't take any loans out or sign up for PCP deals, I either pay outright or it doesn't happen. That may save me from myself!

·
Registered
561 Posts
If there was a Houston, TX MV dealer...well yeah.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
27k doesn’t buy much of a car

well that’s how I justify spending money on bikes;)
Thing is, compared to a Ducati Streetfighter the Brutale is silly expensive! Salesman was trying to justify the price by going on about carbon this and that, handbuilt etc, etc, but you can buy ALOT of carbon bits for the £10k difference in price, and Ducati's are as handbuilt as the MV anyway.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Ducati's are as handbuilt as the MV anyway.
I haven't seen a plaque with the builders signature on any Ducati. The Brutale I looked at had one.
One man assembles the entire bike.
Pretty sure Ducatis are a mass assembly line built vehicle, just like one from Japan.

Reactions: Fredzedex

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The very ltd edition Ducati, like the Superleggeras, race reps etc, are hand assembled on a seperate production line and do have a build plaque. The normal production Ducatis are still hand assembled but on the general production line. There are youtube video's showing this and it isn't very much different to MV's assembly system, also seen in youtube vids. Ducati produce more bikes, so their production is more mechanised from a parts handling perspective, but ultimately most of the bike is assembled by hand, not by one individual admittedly, but still by hand. My point is that 'handbuilt' is not a viable reason for part of the huge price difference. It could also be argued that the Ducati V4 is a more complex, even more sophisticated engine than the MV inline 4, the Ducati having Desmodromic valve actuation etc. Even BMW's have alot of hand assembly work!

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
ALL motorcycles are "Hand Built" by your definition.... I have been to the Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda motorcycle factories. Their bikes are all "hand built" too.....by people on an assembly line.

You pay a premium for the Ducatis that are built off line (Superleggeras etc). That is the Brutale 1000, too.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Stop your winging and buy the damn thing already!🤪

Is a Ferrari worth the extra money over a Corvette? If you are trying to rationalize the purchase, you will never get there. There are a million reasons not to buy motorcycles and very few logic reasons for it. That is not the point!

The Brutale 1000RR is an incredible riding bike and has styling that is so captivating, you cannot look away. It stirs the soul! I know, I have one.
The Ducati Streetfighter is ugly in my opinion. Paint it lime green and it looks like a Kawasaki! Ducati used to be special and unique. Ducati has lost it in the styling department over the last 5 or so years. Almost all of Ducati's model line Ducati has become too homogenized, too ordinary in the styling and also in the all important "pride of ownership" department. In this case, one could almost argue why pay the extra money for a Ducati vs a Japanese bike?

MV Agusta still has that specialty product feel and nothing can even come close to MV in styling. And the ride of the Brutale 1000 RR is superb! If you can afford it, I would not even think twice about it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone has their own personal criteria when buying anything, but especially when buying high value items. Hence my comments above. Thanks for your comments all, I'll keep things to myself in future to avoid the more vocal members venting.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Isn't promoting / provoking spirited conversation part of the allure of these discussion forums?

The very fact that so many sought to join in (to me at least) says that you have touched on a subject already in people's minds.

As an owner of both the MV and Ducati brands, I don't really compare them so much as enjoy both for their plusses and minuses.

It makes me laugh when someone (usually when filling the MV in a servo) asks "Is that some kind of Ducati?" to which I answer, "no, this is a little more exclusive"...

As far as buying only what you can afford, in cash (rather than "on the never") and somehow manage to justify to yourself...good on you.

Thankfully at this stage of life, I can usually manage to put the money together somehow and it is the justification bit that troubles me (at times) though I always manage to spend it (MUCH) easier on bikes rather than cars.

Take a test run if you can get one...if your heart and your head can agree, then you will take it home.

If not, well, it was fun way to spend an hour wasn't it? :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts