MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the following new indicators for my Brutale as I got rid of the OEM mirrors and therefore needed new turn signals for the front:

http://www.motocorsestore.com/index.php/en/products/categorie/coppia-frecce-syencro-led-10w-omologate-resistenze-integrate/1-291

I had my local dealer install them thinking that it was worth paying experts for any sort of electrical work as I am a complete idiot with these matters.

What happens is that blinkers stop working while riding after one or two uses, no blinking in front or rear as well as the green dash light goes dead (that's how I realized it stopped working). The only way to make it work again is to stop the bike, turn off the engine, restart it then it'll work one, two or three times at the most then stop working.

I am taking it back but I figured it would help and save time if any of you could shed some light (pun intended) on what the cause might be.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I didn't know you could use LEDs without resistors. Perhaps a bad flasher relay? Clearly since your original indicators worked fine, something with these new LEDs is the problem.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
You might not know the answer to this question, but most led's will require some sort of resistor for them to work properly. Did they install the resistors when they installed the leds?

·
Registered
183 Posts
The lights presumably come with integrated resistors, per the web link. However, this supposedly works through heating elements in the blinker body. I don't really know sh*t from shinola on these things :wtf: :shitfan: but perhaps this "integrated resistor" system isn't actually working here?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also thought that the drop in wattage would require resistors but this model says that it has built-in resistors. Motovation sells them too: http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1708 and describes them as follows: Syencro led blinkers by MotoCorse are homologated and street legal, Plug&Play, and absolutely the first signals that use automotive technology! These can be installed without external resistors.

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
Defective product or defective install then?
Perhaps these have a polarity requirement that isn't met. In other words, maybe they were wired backwards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why did you post multiple threads on this issue? There are two different sets of blinkers - one for pre 2010 bikes and one for 2010 and over bikes. You must have the wrong set for your bike. Motovation is aware of the issue and I'm sure will switch your set out for the right one. Moto Corse is also aware of the issue. No idea why they weren't more careful to have people indicate their bike when ordering to get the right set.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Why did you post multiple threads on this issue? There are two different sets of blinkers - one for pre 2010 bikes and one for 2010 and over bikes. You must have the wrong set for your bike. Motovation is aware of the issue and I'm sure will switch your set out for the right one. Moto Corse is also aware of the issue. No idea why they weren't more careful to have people indicate their bike when ordering to get the right set.
I don't think there are two different sets. It's an LED blinker and should be universal, not very different from the Rizoma or Oberon variety.

If you look at the Motovation page it reads:
Fits:
ALL MODELS MV AGUSTA / ALL YEARS

If you look at the manufacturer's page it reads:

THIS ITEM IS MADE FOR THE BELOW LISTED MODELS:

MV AGUSTA

DUCATI

ALL MODELS
ALL MODELS

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same exact model, but mine have a black case and look much better than yours. :)

They just started manufacturing these and screwed up by not designating which year they are for.

The problem I had when I installed the wrong ones was exactly the same problem you are having.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same exact model, but mine have a black case and look much better than yours. :)

They just started manufacturing these and screwed up by not designating which year they are for.

The problem I had when I installed the wrong ones was exactly the same problem you are having.
Alex from GP Racing confirmed the same in a PM. I have reached out to Motovation for a replacement.

At the risk of stating the obvious, this message board rocks. Thank you all!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good luck Pierre. I bought a pair for my 2010 990R from Motovation based on the "for all MV's" notation on their web site: had the same issue as you. I got nothing but the run around from Motovation: "not their problem....".

I ended up buying Melotti LED signals from GP Racing and they work perfectly. Lost some respect for Motovation over the issue (and I have spent significant $$$$ on their products between my 2006 and 2010 Brutales - probably over $3,000). If it was my error I would not feel bad about eating the cost (those are expensive signals). I try to patronize the other site sponsors now and have had no issues with GP Racing and Design Corse. I had bought an Ohlins damper from Design Corse, it came with the wrong bracket - they sent a replacement right away, no questions and no hassle.

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
Pierre,I have the same Moto Corse indicators on the rear of my F4 also with black case.The reason I bought them is due to internal resistors and they work great.They really tidy up the wiring without having to use external resistors.I bought mine off Alex at GP Racing.I think you are just very unlucky and have a faulty one or two.You cannot muck up the wiring (hopefully)as there are only 2 wires red (possitive) and black (negative).It's hard when you buy a certain product yourself and have a bike shop fit the item because if you have a problem one blames the other.Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The issue is: if your bike already has factory LED blinkers (and some but not all MV's do) you need to replace them with something with similar resistance (e.g.: another set of LED signals).

When you use the Syncro signals with built-in resistors you will have problems if you are replacing existing LED signals - they are meant to replicate the resistance of "standard" incandescent bulbs. This is why when installing LED signals to replace standard bulbs you usually need to add the resistors or "load balancers" as some call them. Pierre, you need to lose the Synchro's and find plain old non-resistor LED signals to replace your removed mirror stalk mounted LED's.

If your bike used standard incandescent bulbs for the turn signals then the Syncro's have resistors built in to maintain the proper flash rate and would probably have worked fine. So, just don't use them to replace existing LED's (as I and a few others apparently tried to do).

In regards to my "rant" about the Syncro signals and Motovation above - it's not the signals (they're great, well made and appropriate when properly applied - maybe I'll put them on my Norton...), it was the mis-information and lack of regard from the supplier that got me going.... along with some of my own stupidity. I was mad at myself (because I knew better - just didn't think it through), and also mad at Motovation because their web site is misleading for two reasons: one, the LED signals are listed under the "Bike Specific" heading for the 2010 and later Brutale (and they are not specific to the 2010 and later Brutales), and two, because they specifically state "they are compatible with all MV's (which they clearly are not). Their web site still has not been updated to reflect the incompatibility. I would be fine with all of that except for the response I received when I contacted them to sort out the problem (I called them) it was basically "too bad - you're on your own". Many of us spend a lot for these MV's on aftermarket parts and accessories, and when we're not happy we sometimes broadcast it (fair or not). Likewise we don't hesitate recommending something we have tried that works or supporting suppliers and shops that treat us like customers. I have found everybody here to be very helpful and willing to pitch in when someone has an issue and that makes the forum invaluable. This is especially true since most of have access to limited (maybe one) if any dealer support.

I am part owner of a major mechanical design and construction firm - if we treated our customers poorly we would not have the great repeat client base we have. I don't like being blown off by someone who doesn't care.

OK - I'm done. I'll go to hell now. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The issue is: if your bike already has factory LED blinkers (and some but not all MV's do) you need to replace them with something with similar resistance (e.g.: another set of LED signals).

When you use the Syncro signals with built-in resistors you will have problems if you are replacing existing LED signals - they are meant to replicate the resistance of "standard" incandescent bulbs. This is why when installing LED signals to replace standard bulbs you usually need to add the resistors or "load balancers" as some call them. Pierre, you need to lose the Synchro's and find plain old non-resistor LED signals to replace your removed mirror stalk mounted LED's.

If your bike used standard incandescent bulbs for the turn signals then the Syncro's have resistors built in to maintain the proper flash rate and would probably have worked fine. So, just don't use them to replace existing LED's (as I and a few others apparently tried to do).

In regards to my "rant" about the Syncro signals and Motovation above - it's not the signals (they're great, well made and appropriate when properly applied - maybe I'll put them on my Norton...), it was the mis-information and lack of regard from the supplier that got me going.... along with some of my own stupidity. I was mad at myself (because I knew better - just didn't think it through), and also mad at Motovation because their web site is misleading for two reasons: one, the LED signals are listed under the "Bike Specific" heading for the 2010 and later Brutale (and they are not specific to the 2010 and later Brutales), and two, because they specifically state "they are compatible with all MV's (which they clearly are not). Their web site still has not been updated to reflect the incompatibility. I would be fine with all of that except for the response I received when I contacted them to sort out the problem (I called them) it was basically "too bad - you're on your own". Many of us spend a lot for these MV's on aftermarket parts and accessories, and when we're not happy we sometimes broadcast it (fair or not). Likewise we don't hesitate recommending something we have tried that works or supporting suppliers and shops that treat us like customers. I have found everybody here to be very helpful and willing to pitch in when someone has an issue and that makes the forum invaluable. This is especially true since most of have access to limited (maybe one) if any dealer support.

I am part owner of a major mechanical design and construction firm - if we treated our customers poorly we would not have the great repeat client base we have. I don't like being blown off by someone who doesn't care.

OK - I'm done. I'll go to hell now. :)
Thanks for all the input. Since my then hopeful post about reaching out to Motovation to get that corrected, I did receive their answer and it was: "well tough luck buddy. MotoCorse says it works with all year and all models so we just repeat what they say. We don't really care if you end up with something non functional because of what you've read on our product page"

That's disappointing to say the least. I have bought a number of items from them over the years (this is my second Brutale) and they've always been helpful and responsive in the past. I guess everything changes and not always for the best. They just lost a customer and gained somebody who will share this disappointing experience with his riding buddies.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pierre,
As strange as it sounds, that actually makes me feel a little better. I wasn't imagining that they don't care, and it wasn't just me with the bad attitude.

Get ahold of GP Racing and mount up a pair of their Melotti's. They are nicely made and much less expensive than the Synchro's. Assuming your dealer used the available wiring adaptors, you should be able to just unplug the old and plug in the new without any further modifications.

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
Man, Pierre, that is not what we expect from a site sponsor...or any purveyor of parts for these bikes for that matter. Perhaps a public inquiry on their thread in the Site Sponsor Area might get their attention and get the word out to all.

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
Pierre, you must have posted that (in the Motovation thread) as I was typing the words above.....:smoking:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
This is the answer you posted in the other thread, you kind of editorialized more than a little..................

""Pierre,

I can only confirm fitment per the information that is provided by Motocorse. As you noted, according to all information listed, this is the correct fitment for all MV Agusta's. Unfortunately, we do not stock any other model of Motocorse signal that I can offer you. Alternatively, we carry all models of Rizoma signals, which are certainly compatible w/ your bike.

If you want to return the signals, please note the procedure below:

Full refund or credit if the item is returned unopened, uninstalled and resalable as new
There is a 15% restocking fee if item packaging is opened or damaged but product is otherwise in new and resalable condition
Installed, used or damaged items cannot be accepted unless defective when received"

Thanks for all the input. Since my then hopeful post about reaching out to Motovation to get that corrected, I did receive their answer and it was: "well tough luck buddy. MotoCorse says it works with all year and all models so we just repeat what they say. We don't really care if you end up with something non functional because of what you've read on our product page"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts