MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was transporting my bike via truck today and noticed this on the bottom left side when taking it off. Could this be from new chain/sprocket grease? Or is it a leak I need checked out? It definitely had a greasy consistency.

2017 B3 with only 280 miles. Never been serviced.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
that looks like the pasty white chain grease from factory. only one way to tell, whats it taste like?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Hehe, its the chain lube from the factory.
Gets all messy when its been hot once, and gets everywhere.

Clean it up, clean the chain and sprockets and get yourself some Bel-Ray. Gives the chain a white look, sticky yet lubricates like a champ!

PS: Mother of all clickbaits btw. MV Agusta is making a new Brutale 1000cc, and you definitly gave it a good title right here :)

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Since modern o-ring chains really require no external "lubrication", I would clean that mess up and treat the chain with a metal protectant and any one of a number of DRY spray lubes.

Any chain product that is sticky will attract dirt...and dirt is abrasive.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Since modern o-ring chains really require no external "lubrication", I would clean that mess up and
treat the chain with a metal protectant and any one of a number of DRY spray lubes.

Any chain product that is sticky will attract dirt...and dirt is abrasive.
Always eager to learn about chain care.
What is your regiment?

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
I use kerosene or Motul Chain cleaner to clean my chain using a Grunge Brush.

I then use low pressure air to blow out all dirt, grime, and excess cleaner while wiping with a rag.

I then use AMSOil Metal Protectant and allow to dry.

I then use any one of several chain lubes that dry to a no film condition.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I use kerosene or Motul Chain cleaner to clean my chain using a Grunge Brush.

I then use low pressure air to blow out all dirt, grime, and excess cleaner while wiping with a rag.

I then use AMSOil Metal Protectant and allow to dry.

I then use any one of several chain lubes that dry to a no film condition.
Thanks for info.
I have kerosene and the motul chain lube; will have to look into amsoil protectant.
My last moto didn't have a chain...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use kerosene as well and try to do it after a ride or parked in direct sun so the chains as warm as it can get.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run a motorcycle detailing shop where we lube the chains with chain lubes only has a non-fling feature. Muc-Off Xtreme lube and Putoline Tech Chain do those. Long life and fling free, also providing a clean look for at least 100 miles. Not sure if they're available in your country but we're crazy happy with those.

We also sell Motul range for chain lubes but don't use ourselves either on our bikes or customers' (I find Motul products obselete, comparing to the newer and better competitors). %80 of the chain greases and lubes in the market are filthy. Surely very good for chain, but veeery leaky and sticky on everywhere else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts