MV Agusta Forum banner

New Bike, Engine stalls

6K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Maximum Velocity 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I just purchase a 2015 brutale 800rr. I had it stall today on me for the first time. I was in stop and go traffic, the engine was hot but not abnormally hot. I was in 2nd gear and the bike stalled like I hit the kill switch. I wasn't decelerating hard, just slowly moving along with traffic. I am concerned because the bike has just 500 miles on it! I have had it for 3 weeks now. I am concerned of the engine stalling in a turn or on the highway. Once it stalled today the starter button was dead. It wouldn't turn over the engine. Once I turned the key off and back on again it started. Any ideas? I have searched through the forums but I didn't notice this as a problem on a newer bike.

#3 ·
I did buy it from a dealer. I am taking it in for its first service next week. They will try to figure out the problem. I was just concerned because the bike is brand new and it was a surprise while riding for the engine to stall out. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem to see if there was a solution.

#4 ·
The not turning over could be a clutch switch issue. Did you just pull the clutch in and hit the starter button in 2nd, or did you put it in neutral?
If it happens again try in neutral, if it turns over ok then the clutch switch is faulty. Don't know why that would actually cause it to stall though.

#5 ·
Stalling used to mean the throttle bodies needed synching but that wouldn't make the starter switch dead. Were there any messages on the dash? Did it stall while you were going along in gear with the throttle open or when you closed the throttle and pulled in the clutch to stop?

#6 ·
The bike stalled in stop and go traffic. I was idling along in 2nd gear when it stalled. I wasn't on the clutch. The dash didn't have an error message. The only additional light that came on was the oil light. The running temp of the bike was pretty warm because of the stop and go traffic. It hasn't happened again thankfully.

#9 ·
So I finally, after my bike stalling 8 times within a 5 mile ride, I took it to the dealership. I am frustrated because my bike only has 1500 miles on it and has had this problem of stalling since I purchased it. After the first time it happened, it happened a couple of times. It was happening every ride. The weather was nice here last weekend so I decided to take the bike for a ride. First it stalled while at a stop light. Same scenario as described preciously by another poster. Sitting there idling in neutral and it shut off. No loss of power to the dash, just the engine quit. I turn the key off and back on again and then start it up. I can't simply press the start button because the start button is the same button to change the map after the engine is running. If I press the start button after it stalls, the bike must still think that the engine is running, because it goes in to changing the map. So... After starting it up again I got about a mile down the road and it stalled again. This time I called the dealer and said I was bringing it in. The dealer was about 10 miles away. I rode to the dealer taking side streets and the bike stalled a total of 8 times trying to get there!! I was a frustrated when I got to the dealer. I told the tech that this is an ongoing issue that I complained about when I brought the bike in for the first service. First thing he told me was my bike was out of warranty and it would be $115 to diagnose it. I'm am very frustrated and upset with the way the dealer has handled the entire situation. On top of it all, this bike is a nightmare to start when the engine is hot!! Which is another issue that the dealer seems to dismiss. I told them the sprag clutch issue that so many people with MV's experience and they insisted it's the evap canister and not the sprag. Regardless, it's embarrassing when riding with friends and we stop to rest, my bike won't start when we try to get back to riding.

Any input is appreciated!!

#10 · (Edited)
If you bought the bike brand new in August, how is it out of warranty?

I would suggest that you or your dealer need to check the air bypass screws first off. If one of them is fully closed you will have these symptoms. There were quite a few early 3 cylinder models which had stalling/poor hot start issues fixed this way.

#11 ·
OP, where are you on this Big Blue Marble?

If the starter button is changing maps when you try to restart, then it sounds like the ECU still thinks the bike is running.
That shouldn't be the case. ECUs are sensitive to voltage.

Your bike should have a 3 year warranty unless you bought it as a dealer demo or used bike.

#12 ·
Sorry, I missed this thread when you first posted. You should do a search on this forum for “F3 stalling”. You’ll find dozens of us have had the same problem. :frown2:
Don’t be too quick to jump on your dealer either. The factory seems very reluctant to share info or notify techs of known issues and howto fix them. Tell you dealer to read this forum as well.
The following is from one of my threads. I fought for twoyears to get things put right.

Firstthing he found was a bad seal between the throttle body and the intake plenum.This caused a lean condition to which the ECU compensated for by making the fuel mixture richer. This is why I had such poor fuel mileage and may also bewhy at times it acted like it had fouled plugs.
Next hediscovered that the hoses connecting the charcoal canister were connectedincorrectly. In was out and out was in. This caused the erratic, hunting idle,stumble, jerking at low revs and surging at speed.

The new throttle body assembly was out of sync. The throttle body air screwthat feeds cylinder #1 was out the most. This is what caused the bike to stallon clutch in as the revs dropped because the ECU reads #1 cylinder only.

Hopethis helps.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/129-maintenance-tech-issues-3-cyl-models/107681-happy-anniversary-me-not.html

#13 ·
Thanks for the input. In regards to the warranty, it was explained to me that the warranty started when the dealer got the bike. Not when I purchased it. Since it is a 2015 and I bought it late 2016, there were only a few months left in the warranty. But this has been an issue I have complained about since I got the bike. I doubt that the dealer would make me pay for the problems because it seems like a manufacturer issue. Not something that I did. I will let you guys know what the dealer comes up with as a solution.

#14 ·
^^^If you are in the USA, that is not the way the warranty works.

#15 ·
I've got a TV which has completely died on me three times. Scary. Unlike you however apart from the engine stopping the dash was dead as well. Luckily every time I managed to restart it after a few minutes. Since then I've put the battery on charge during the week and haven't had the problem since.

#16 ·
UPDATE:

So the dealer may have figured out and fixed the stalling problem with the bike. Thankfully it stalled on them a couple of times while trying to move it. The problem of the engine stopping was due to a faulty tilt sensor. From what he told me, the tilt sensor will cut the fuel supply if the bike is laid down. It was malfunctioning and cutting off the fuel supply and causing the engine to quit. Hopefully this fixes it. I'm picking it up in a couple of days and hopefully get a ride in this weekend. And the warranty is still all good. I'm not sure why the first guy I spoke with was confused. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the input!

#19 ·
The Tilt Sensor has been the culprit across the range over the years...again it rears its ugly head!

#20 ·
Sadly I have the same problem now. While riding the engine just switches off. Need to put the contact off and on to restart. Quite dangerous situation when in traffic. No warnings on the dash.

Coincidence is that it happens just after service, new mapping and sprag clutch replacement... Seems to me that not everything is put back together correctly.

#21 ·
Okay... Just to update it myself :)
I went today to the dealer and they installed a new mapping. This one is just two weeks old and it is what they call a 'platform' mapping. No idea what that means but it seems serious. On the way back home the engine did not switch off anymore. And the new map works very good; just as if there is more power.

#23 ·
^^^I hope you mean Tilt Switch remount....I don't believe there is any "mapping" of or for the tilt switch.

It does, on occasion, become loose in its mount.

#25 ·
Frank, after reading that, I am going to have to check my vin on Cindy's 800RR. On the older bikes, F4s and Brutales, the Tilt Sensor is on-off and fails by loosening in its mounts.

It seems the new bikes, 3 cylinder platform with ABS/Traction Control/ etc., have an ECU controlled "Inertial Platform" monitor that includes the Tilt Sensor.

Programming to new parameters fixes the issue.

Here is the TSB: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=377305&d=1490552387

(Thanks to Gero HH!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.