MV Agusta Forum banner

New Bike - 400 miles - small oil leak

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  esq'z me 
#1 ·
Performed a search and see that there are a couple semi-common leaks on the 3 cyl models - however my situation seems to have a small twist. Bike is a 2022 (in US) model with only 400 miles, still haven't been much above 7k rpm as it is still in the break-in period.

Spotted a small leak on the last ride - mostly on the left side of the lower part of the engine assembly near the kickstand. The oil appears milk-shakey on the exterior in some locations however I checked the oil at the dipstick and it looks like oil (and is full - almost too full,) and the coolant in the reservoir still looks like coolant. Head Gasket area looks dry, hard to see the origin of the leak. Doesn't seem like sump plug (oil is too high on the case) but I suppose with wind from riding anything is possible. Bike runs fine, no overheating and no warning lights. Cause for concern? Some pics below:

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi - thanks for taking a look. I do not believe this is chain lube as it is quite a bit thinner and is even showing up on the non-drive side of the bike. Unfortunately I am fairly certain it is engine oil.

#6 ·
Take it back to the dealer….it is their problem.

#9 ·
Ride it...but make sure you have a way home!

Reactions: db_509
#11 ·
And try washing it all off first..... The bike is BRAND NEW....the service department had better jump over backwards, putting you at the head of the current work load to fix this. Tell the sales manager you will have your money back if you can't ride your BRAND NEW bike.

#12 ·
Why wash it off?
Leave the evidence on there surely? There's clearly something amiss - don't want them trying to fob you off with you having to say "well it was worse than that before".
You know you're fucked when you hear yourself saying that sentence.

#15 ·
I would bet that it's actually chainlube. Below pic from my TV when came home from longer trip and had to grease the chain on the road, by applying a little bit too much lube. It will get pretty liquid at hot, flowing like oil.

Reason why took the pic, red arrow. They should leave small strain relief for oil pressure sensor, noticed when searching reason for "engine light on", was Lamda at the end.

#16 ·
Thanks for the pic and the reply Eki - it sure does look similar to my situation, same location and similar looking substance. It almost looks like a small drip coming from the sensor. I have an appt scheduled at the dealer and I will try to take a better look around the area after hearing the advice from the group.

Cheers.

#19 ·
Ok update on this one, all is good. It is not chain lube however it also is not engine oil ;) Apparently it is grease from the front sprocket area that gets warm and basically gets slung all over everything. I was pretty much certain it could not be chain lube as A. my chain wasn't all that lubed to begin with (certainly not enough to fling that much lube around) and B. It looks nothing like chain lube that gets slung off. (I live in a wet climate so lube more often than many and am very familiar with that black gunk.)

That being said it not being engine oil is good, basically a nothingburger. The milky appearance had me fearing the worst. Had the dealer go ahead and run the first service anyways so can finally let her rip. Man the higher end of the rev range the front tire just floats.... Anyways thanks all for the help and happy miles :giggle:

#20 ·
The only grease in the front sprocket area is accumulated chain lube flung off as the chain makes that sharp turn.
The factory chain grease is not like the stuff you buy and use.

Glad you are good to go....and yes, when the engine hits the torque peak the sensation is why many of us ride.

Reactions: db_509
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.