MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm the proud owner of a F4 750s 2001. She's a beauty.
I'm very slowly going through the helpful things on the faq list on this site but have a question I wanted to ask.

When I first got this bike I knew the previous owner hadn't ridden her much and also I noticed when I went to view it that he didn't have the battery on a trickle charge. He told me that he hadn't ridden her for a while and he had just charged the battery.
So anyway on my first two rides the bike was very sluggish and wouldn't budge past 4000 revs without coaxing.

I took the bike apart, took out the well nuts and replaced as well as removing one from the airbox which had been there God knows how long. I also checked all the fuel lines and fittings and removed all fuel before filling up with non ethanol and an injector cleaner.
So the bike then started running a lot better - I took her from the 1st through to 3rd a few times and there is no feeling like it as most of you know! :f4:

On previous rides I've always started my bike directly after disconnecting the trickle charger which has been fine.
However this weekend I took the bike off trickle charge the night before and the next day she only just started up after turning over very sluggishly.

I also noticed that the oximiser/trickle charger I use is at 12.6v only when it gets to the maintain setting. It is 13+ volts on my other bike.
I also have an alarm on the MV - think its a datatool (factory alarm?)

Surely a battery shouldn't drain that much over one night, alarm or not!
Would a weak battery affect the performance of a bike during a ride? I'm thinking yes..
I'm thinking is my battery on its way out??

I should also add the plugs were changed last year and fuel filter is on my to do list.

Sorry for the essay and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
419 Posts
On reflection (continuing on from our earlier emails) I also had the datatool alarm on my bike (not sure if factory or dealer fitted). Nevertheless, it used to eat batteries for breakfast, especially if the battery was already a bit tired and/or old.

Best to get a new battery and keep it on a tether at all times when parked up in the garage.

But do check your alternator to make sure it's charging properly in case you damage the new battery.

Change your fuel filter before you do anything else.

I now respectfully bow out and wait for our MV gurus to offer up the black arts...:stickpoke..:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Remove the datatool.
Replace the battery.
There are litteraly dozens of threads on the battery and datatool topics, a little bit of a search will deliver lots of identical answers.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
There are dozens of people who have replaced their batteries and incorrectly hooked up the leads. This will cause electrical damage to your bike. Make certain you do not revers pole your leads.

THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL ON THE BATTERY GOES TOWARD THE FRONT OF THE BIKE

If you do it differently, you will have problems.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Guys, silly question but I'll risk it anyway....
If the battery is weak will it affect the injectors, fuel pump, etc? In other words would a weak bettery affect the responsivness of the engine?
:confused:

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Guys, silly question but I'll risk it anyway....
If the battery is weak will it affect the injectors, fuel pump, etc? In other words would a weak bettery affect the responsivness of the engine?
:confused:
Couple of variables here Takis, the definition of a "weak" battery as well as model of the bike.

On the 1st Gen MV's the bike will not start if battery is too weak, hence the familiar "my fuel pump primes and the dash sweeps, but when I push start button all I hear is a click".
If the battery is strong enough to start the bike then it should run fine, givin the alternator is charging.
If the battery is not building and holding charge well enough it could start messing around will fuelling though.

On the second generation bikes, triples especially, lots of gremlins pop up when batteries are weak.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Couple of variables here Takis, the definition of a "weak" battery as well as model of the bike.

On the 1st Gen MV's the bike will not start if battery is too weak, hence the familiar "my fuel pump primes and the dash sweeps, but when I push start button all I hear is a click".
If the battery is strong enough to start the bike then it should run fine, givin the alternator is charging.
If the battery is not building and holding charge well enough it could start messing around will fuelling though.

On the second generation bikes, triples especially, lots of gremlins pop up when batteries are weak.
Many thanks Donsy. It is the 1st gen F4's that we are talking about. Didn't know about the idiosyncrasies in such minutiae. Very useful to know. Thanks.

Ken Masters - you may want to check that your alternator is charging correctly before you put a new battery in there (just for sake of good order).

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Ken, great ass in your avatar! If the battery is five years old, or of unknown age, it's just good peace of mind to replace it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I understand I might asking for humble pie here, and I admit, I'm not conversant with the bike's wiring diagrams (often referenced by Donsy), but please enlighten/humble me. I would have thought between the bike's own reverse polarity protection and the power supply relay, that the chance of permanent damage to the bike's circuitry/equipment is remote (ie by design, and by standards)?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
There are a couple of diodes on the earlier F4s and a starter diode on the 1000r that are going to blow if connected in reverse.
Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks one and all.
Just to add I have a model with two radiators.
I've ordered a yuasa battery, the one from the manual and will replace anyway for peace of mind.
I'm unsure about removing the alarm and I think it gives me some sort of discount on insurance but at the same time I've read some horror stories on here now which are making me think twice.
I wonder how much of a deterrent it is? There is no outward sign of having the alarm when the bike is on its own..
I've also seen some cheap tracker devices so may go down this route..
Either that or just never let the bike out of my sight!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To close off this thread for anyone interested: I checked the history and found an invoice for the battery which showed that the battery was over 4 and a half years old.
The new battery is in and the bike is running well.
Took her out for a blast on Sunday night and fell in love all over again.
Thanks one and all for your input!

·
Registered
786 Posts
...On the second generation bikes, triples especially, lots of gremlins pop up when batteries are weak.
Wow. I had either fuel pump or injector issues on my triumph triple when it had an el-cheapo battery in there. Tossed that thing for a decent battery and solved. Not coincidence.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Collected my Brutale from the workshops this morning following a warranty claim against the supplier of an El Cheapo Chinese battery that was fitted to my bike at the last service - not my choice I hasten to add.

The Power Volt 'sealed' gel battery leaked and damaged the battery box, chain guides and swing arm.
I insisted that the correct Yuasa battery be fitted and the difference was immediately noticeable on startup, heaps more cranking power. One of the guys in the workshop told me that they were trying to stop their parts department from stocking the power volt batteries which suggests I wasn't Robinson Crusoe in having a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts