MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put new battery in 2006 MV Agusta F4. Turns over, but tach doesn't sweep, LCD screen remains blank, no fuel pump priming heard, and no head lamp......

When the key is on, the only dash lights that come on are the battery and oil pressure.

If I put the side stand up, the tach sweeps and the digits on the dash come on, and headlamp turns on, but still no fuel pump. As soon as I put the stand down I'm back to square one.

I replaced the side stand safety switch, no difference. If it' something someone on the board has seen before I'd love to hear what fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
22,349 Posts
Assuming the dash worked normally before the new battery:

First make sure all of the wires are connected correctly...

F4 1000 Battery Connections.png

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it was that simple. The battery connections are indeed wired up properly. This issue started before the battery was replaced. I put a new battery in hoping that was the problem, but unfortunately it was not...

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
And sorry to ask, if you have the wires correct, are you sure the battery polarity is right, battery on its side ?
Other than that, the model is really important since the "R" and "S" have completely different wiring looms and solution to your problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2006 F4 1000"s". I tried updating the typo in the topic summary but wasn't able.

The battery is on it's side and the polarity is correct. Replaced the battery with the same brand and was plugged in no different then the one replaced. I can take a pic later if needed.....

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Okey dokey - I posted some pics of your model and 750 wiring up a few months back, similar problem, one was damaged wiring behind the fuse box, the other was a faulty latch or power relay. I'll try and find those pics and post em up tomorrow.
In the meantime I'd suggest you look at the wiring diagram and check those fuse as well as the relays under you seat.
I'll Edit your heading for you so others will know too, good luck - ah you got that sorted yourself, good man :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
@gotojoe.....is that something easy to check? I'm not sure where these are located to test...

Chris, I'm just getting ready to travel ..Have a look on the forum search as this has been gone over before a few times.

If someone has inadvertently connected the battery in reverse, even for a fraction of a second then it can KO the diodes.

On my F4 there is a diode across the primary wires of the starter solenoid. Yours may be also under the seat on the right.

Hope you find it !

Joe

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
If the battery terminals were reversed the bike would not crank over.
Could it be as simple as a blown fuel pump fuse as Donsy has stated?
A voltage spike connecting the new battery could cause this.
Did you connect the negative terminal first?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would a blown fuel pump fuse cause the other symptoms to exists (digits on the dash not showing up, headlight not working, tach not moving when key turned on, all of which works for some strange reason when the kickstand gets put up)?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@dons.....I did the next best thing and towed it to my fav MV shop in town. Those guys have formed an intimate relationship with that bike over the years lol. I'll post the results as soon as I get them.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, found some loose ground wires (one I didn't plug back on the negative terminal) and that seemed to get her started back up. However, after putting her on the road I noticed the battery light came on shortly after. Sure enough, took her to shop for a full electrical look over and confirmed the alternator is dead. Damn it man...only 8,000 miles.

This bike has tested my love more then any woman ever has, but I'm not ready for a divorce quit yet.

·
Super Moderator
22,349 Posts
Well, found some loose ground wires (one I didn't plug back on the negative terminal) and that seemed to get her started back up. However, after putting her on the road I noticed the battery light came on shortly after. Sure enough, took her to shop for a full electrical look over and confirmed the alternator is dead. Damn it man...only 8,000 miles.

This bike has tested my love more then any woman ever has, but I'm not ready for a divorce quit yet.
A problem is usually related to the last thing that was done to the bike. The initial reply to the initial post had the solution. Even though I believe I have done something, when a problem arises I double and triple check...and then check again.:wink2:

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
?

A problem is usually related to the last thing that was done to the bike. The initial reply to the initial post had the solution. Even though I believe I have done something, when a problem arises I double and triple check...and then check again.:wink2:
Come on folks PAY ATTENTION......
Take a pencil and paper and draw the connections ....think how many MVs would not have fried their charging systems​
Or, take your omnipresent cell phone and take a picture of the connections at least

PSST.......your memory isn't​ good enough to do the job at hand.....:wink2:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Okay I hope it's okay as I'm going to post my question in this thread since battery placement etc... was brought up - so I'm getting ready to install new battery (exact replica a Yuasa YTZ10S) and so bought battery today at bike shop and when got home put battery on charger and it show it's charged up - then I see in work shop manual that says in bold letters that since battery will be on it's side to wait 24 hours before installing

So if dealer had battery on charger couple hours before I picked it up (I had called to see if he had one) and then when I got home I put it on trickle charger while I got tools out, changed clothes, opened up garage etc... I need to wait till this time tomorrow before I can install in bike ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts