MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a brand new (old stock) 2010 brutale 990r. Just wondering if there's anything that needs changing straight away ie defective parts or any recalls on this model. Also is there some kind of front mudguard extender to stop debris from the road getting thrown up all over the radiator

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Recommend downloading the manuals. Thanks to Donsy they are available under the Maintenance and tech issues (4 cylinders) section. Just follow the link.

I have owned my 990 for about 4 years now. Biggest issue was at the 6,600 mile mark with the gear selector spring breaking. You can find a thread on that but don't worry about it for now. Most importantly as with any other bike is keep up with the maintenance. The bike has been tremendous fun and always makes me turn to look back. I have not heard of any recalls. I changed out the battery straight away with a lithium. Other than that just ride and enjoy.

Cheers...Brett

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for that Brett. When this gear selector spring breaks is it a costly job to put it right? Do you know if MV have made a stronger replacement spring?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Replaced it myself. If you search "gear selector spring replacement" in the maintenance and tech section, you will find great info. There is a square spring with an additional coil as the replacement. Not sure when MV swapped over but not everyone has had this problem.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I've just purchased a brand new (old stock) 2010 brutale 990r. Just wondering if there's anything that needs changing straight away ie defective parts or any recalls on this model. Also is there some kind of front mudguard extender to stop debris from the road getting thrown up all over the radiator
Mud flap on a Brutale, uh-oh. Redneck territory. Welcome

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mud flap on a Brutale, uh-oh. Redneck territory. Welcome
Haha yes a mudflap, no seriously the front fender just looks like an unfinished item to me and leaves the radiator wide open to anything the tyre picks up and throws up

·
Registered
820 Posts
Welcome,

Tape around the headlight where the glass meets the shell. Use good quality tape and you wont even notice it. Save a heap of dollars if and when it decides to fall out!

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
10 Posts
foot pegs

Hi Mate,

I have mine a year and had no problems except an occasional stalling when coming off the accelerator at speed. Only happens once in a blue moon so I have not bothered with it as yet.

I found the footpeg on the right side too short due to the exhaust pushing the back of your foot out. I replaced with Oberon touring footpegs which are about a CM longer and make all the difference.

I would put a hugger on the bike if you are riding through Winter, I have the MV one which is about 40 pounds.

Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi rich you've bought the wrong bike...... should have been a 1078rr proper mans bike ;-) lol hope u did some more miles on saturday??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi rich you've bought the wrong bike...... should have been a 1078rr proper mans bike ;-) lol hope u did some more miles on saturday??
Ha ha ha cheeky sod. I did wonder if you were on the forum. Did about 20 miles that's all. Adjusted the rear brake and gear lever which makes it a lot better and power wise it feels a lot better than the zx10r and I've not even had it past 7000rpm due to the break in period. I'm going out on it tomorrow to run it in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mines Below that number :( how do you know it only affects bikes up to that certain number?
I have access to the service bulletins. If this bike is new and you're the first registered owner than I believe this is a warranty repair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ha ha ha cheeky sod. I did wonder if you were on the forum. Did about 20 miles that's all. Adjusted the rear brake and gear lever which makes it a lot better and power wise it feels a lot better than the zx10r and I've not even had it past 7000rpm due to the break in period. I'm going out on it tomorrow to run it in.
Yes mate its through this forum I sorted my rear hub issue... I was going to mention it to you when I saw you next as there is loads of useful information on here :)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Make your own radiator support unless they changed the design on the 990r , but knowing MV probably not.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have access to the service bulletins. If this bike is new and you're the first registered owner than I believe this is a warranty repair.
Hi that's good to know. Are you sure this is true. I'll have to bring it up when I go for my first service at mv dealers. Also do you know if there is a warranty job for condensation in the headlamp lense?

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi that's good to know. Are you sure this is true. I'll have to bring it up when I go for my first service at mv dealers. Also do you know if there is a warranty job for condensation in the headlamp lense?

Thanks
Mine gets condensation in the light sometimes as well. If you purchased it brand new, you should have a warranty regardless of the bikes age, so it should be covered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine gets condensation in the light sometimes as well. If you purchased it brand new, you should have a warranty regardless of the bikes age, so it should be covered.
Took my bike to the dealers for a service today and mentioned that my bike was one of the early models with the bad return spring. They knew about this issue and said they would replace it under warranty so pick it up at the weekend. So the worry about losing my gears on a long ride out is long gone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts