MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody see this before? It's not so much a scratch as a tear. This is a brand new 2011 leftover. Neither the dealer or I seen this when I picked it up, but later that night I found it. The tear looks much worse in the photo, but I don't want it to spread. After I sent the dealer the pic, he said that they are going to replace the tank at some point under warranty. Perhaps the tank expanding and contracting caused this to happen?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,490 Posts
Interesting.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Matt, it's hard to be 100% from the photo..would be clearer in daylight without the flash effect.

To me, it looks like somebody leant over the bike and scratched it with a belt buckle..

joe

·
Registered
176 Posts
Was this bike in the crate...

... or on the showroom floor but never titled? If the bike had fuel in the tank its definitely expansion.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt, it's hard to be 100% from the photo..would be clearer in daylight without the flash effect.

To me, it looks like somebody leant over the bike and scratched it with a belt buckle..

joe

Definately not a belt buckle. The mark is barely noticeable out in the sunlight. It is easier seen in the picture I took believe it or not. The dealer said it might have something to do with the tank expanding. And MV is working on better composites for their fuel tanks at this time .

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... or on the showroom floor but never titled? If the bike had fuel in the tank its definitely expansion.
It was on the showroom floor with fuel in it for sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Then Yes...

It was on the showroom floor with fuel in it for sure.
It is expansion related. Fortunately, MV will be replacing your tank under warranty. My Streetfighter (Ducati) had thhe same issue. I had the tank coated with a product called Caswell. So far the replacement is doing fine. I'd consider doing a canisterectomy and coating the replacement from MV.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is expansion related. Fortunately, MV will be replacing your tank under warranty. My Streetfighter (Ducati) had thhe same issue. I had the tank coated with a product called Caswell. So far the replacement is doing fine. I'd consider doing a canisterectomy and coating the replacement from MV.
I agree, another ethanol related fuel issue. This ethanol fuel is like poison to any internal combustion engine. Other than attracting moisture if not used up in a month, it eats the rubber fuel lines and swells gaskets. I heard of the Ducati tank issue before. The ethanol fuel actually makes the composite tank swell up. I will look into the liner, and I always treat my fuel with Startron.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That happened to my bike too, and it was indeed the tank expanding. I didn't know what caused it at the time, and shortly after (month or so?), the bike starting excessive leaking from other areas of the tank during a mid-ride fuel stop.

My shop (Moto-Forza) replaced tank under warranty. I did just as jones525 recommends and had the new tank coated since it was an identical replacement.

·
Super Moderator
22,490 Posts
Yes, and, if you leave fuel out of it AFTER it has expanded, it will return to its original shape.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ducati replaced the tank on my Monster for an expansion problem. The paint did not crack, but the tank expanded to the point I could not put the key in without a struggle and I could not take the tank off to replace the battery. Amazing...

·
Super Moderator
22,490 Posts
The expansion problem is real...and interesting. I also had my Monster S4Rs tank replaced and then the new one swelled as well. Ducati then put a tank hinge on with more adjustment to solve the difficulty of the tank sticking in place.

During that time frame there was a tank on the dealer's shelf that had been replaced due to swelling...the dealer noticed it had returned to the original shape as it had sat for a month with no fuel in it.

His latest recommendation to me was to try removing the fuel and using a low heat hair dryer to restore the tank. I might just try that this spring.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had my 1090RR tank replaced due to paint defect but i must admit it was a bit of a battle .

Are you in the UK ?
No, I'm in the USA. The dealer, Fast by Feracci, said the tank will be replaced, no questions asked. They also stated that MV is working on a new composite for the tanks and when I get the new one, it will be of the new composite. Apparently this is a documented issue with MV as well. If your dealer gave you a hard time about this, I would suggest seeking a new dealership when the time comes for a new bike.

·
Registered
786 Posts
On My Ducati Diavel, Ducati designers have a butt ugly plastic tub for the tank, and then cover it over with three Metal Panels so it looks like a regular motorcycle tank. It's as if they have got tired of all the expansions issues and just gone a different direction with their tanks. I haven't had a close look at the panigale to see if they have done the same thing.

I think it's just the occasional tank that goes faulty, it generally not a certainty that a tank will expand in this way even if left standing with ethanol fuel. You are just unlucky, but definately happens occasionally, and more often then it should.

·
Super Moderator
22,490 Posts
Actually, Squibby, everyone of the four acerbis plastic tanks in my garage have expanded, or bubbled, or deformed in some way due to the ethanol/water/plastic reactions. Two Ducatis, one twice, one MV.

It is not luck, it is chemistry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do the 2012 Brutale RRs have this problem or is the tank the new composite. I have been hearing about the problem for years....it seems like it should be corrected by now

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do the 2012 Brutale RRs have this problem or is the tank the new composite. I have been hearing about the problem for years....it seems like it should be corrected by now
I would think not. From what I understand is MV is working on a new composite as we speak. Having your dealer confirm this would be your best bet though. It's a pretty common problem with MV's but not everyone notices because their particular tank might not leak, or ruin the paint etc. Ducati had more real "failures" due to expansion/swelling. Both manufacturers use composites for their tanks. But the difference between the two is the forming process and the ingredients used their composite materials.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ethanol ravages

The exact same thing is happening with my tank (2010 1090RR). Originally, it's cracked paint under the coating that prompted the claim (7 months ago - see pix attached) and then about 2 months ago I started noticing a white line appearing on the top right hand side where the "wing" of the tank starts, just like yours.

I received a new tank from MV that I just had epoxy lined in SoCal and will have installed at my local dealer in a week or so, all under warranty. Hopefully you can get the same deal.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts