MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Rearsets yesterday and went out to the garage to fit them. Got them all adjusted, grabbed my helmet and was about to go out on a test ride. Bike goes thru the self check ok, I press the start button, I can hear the fuel pump cycle and a relay kick on and off under the rear seat.

OK, Its in Neutral, The Sidestand is up, I have fresh gas in it. Fuse #1 is OK.

Any thoughts?? Its a long weekend and I wanna ride.....

Thanks

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
First question...what exactly did you do when replacing the rearsets?

There has been plenty a chuckle from my part of the world when people do mods, jump on and bike does not start...blame the bike, blame MV, blame the wife and kids, and then discover they did something wrong.

Talk yourself back through the steps you took to change the rearsets!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installing the Rearsets was just unbolting and bolting on the new parts. Unless there is a problem with the bike reading Neutral I can't imagine that anything I did had an effect on this. The battery is fresh and hot, Horn is strong and there is more than enough juice to turn the bike over, just don't hear the starter at all.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I am thinking you may have earthed the stand and hence the bike thinks you are in stand down. I would take the rearsets off and try to start it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unhappy 1090

Yes, Changed the shift lever as well. If I had earthed the stand wouldn't the stand down message be flashing on my dash???

Mark

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I would again check the electrical connections near the side stand. Perhaps while changing the shift lever something got bumped or a connection is loose.

The emergency shut off switch is in the start position, right?

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
LMAO CAG - now that could be an embarassing resolution !!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember that thought

I remember that thought going thru my head when I checked it. Now this would be embarassing........ Well its off to dinner now, this will have to be resolved when I return, I want to thank everyone for their kind help.

Mark

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres another thought

I have my new MV Corse full titanium pipe that I was planning on putting on tomorrow. When I finish that install will my headlight stop working for some mysterious reason????

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Hahaha - mine was the kick-stand....was in too much of a hurry to get take off ....usual WTF questions going on until I slowed down ...mind you, it was about ten years ago on my Honda :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got It

Went about it the wrong way but it starts now, took a battery out of another bike and tried starting it, Same results, so that kind of ruled out the battery. Checked the wiring for the kickstand switch, Neutral Light, Clutch Switch. Put it all back together again and it started. I'd feel better knowing what it was thought. Thanks for all of your help.

Mark

·
Registered
132 Posts
Had a similar problem with the Katoom a while back, hit the start and the starter realy would klick but nothing happened. I noticed that the headlight didn't dull down when starting the bike either, it turned out to be a loose connection on the starter solenoid.

Might be worth checking out on yours

For future refrence first thing to check is the Kill Switch any time the bike doesn't start. I hit my mates for a wind up and waited until he had phoned for a recovery before I let the cat out the bag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts