MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I need some input from you all to make a decision that's been bugging me for a day now. I am on the edge to buy a NEW 1090 (newest model that is) and for a certain amount of money. But there is also this 990R that will set me back 3000 euro's LESS, downside to that bike is that it's model 2010. Both are "new" with 0 km's.

What is a smart thing to do? What is the best decision, i like the new colours better, but that can be fixed by giving the 990R a new colour..

Did any of u ride them both? Is there a big difference? Only difference i can find is: 2014 5hp more and 6nm more, that wont be noticeable for me at least.

I would appreciate any input!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think the 990R comes with the TIG welded CrMo frame, though I'm not positive. You should really try getting each out for a test ride to see for yourself to see what suits you. If you go with the 990R, I'd suggest pushing to get a new battery installed before you take it. The stock batteries from those years (KOYO) are garbage.

Haven't ridden a 990R, but my 1090R should be similar and I've no complaints. I'd guess between the two it's more a choice of year than performance (hopefully someone can approve/shoot down that for you).

IMHO, in a few years the older 990R will still be worth as much as the a new 1090 with the same mileage and you may save the 3000Euro now :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Smart thing to do ?

Unless it has to be brand new then get 2010-2012 ? 1090RR

Buy from UK and cash in on exchange rate .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there is non of u that has ridden them both? I would really like to know if there is a difference haha.
I did demo the 1090 and i liked it, but i can't demo the 990R because is brand spanking new, and they want to sell it without any Km's on the machine. I do dislike to rims on the 990R opposed to the 1090.
So that's another think to consider, and no ABS is a thing to consider. Only downside to the 1090 is the price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 1090 are easier to ride. It's smooth compared to the 990 I guess because I test drove a 1090 and I finally bought a 1078 and there is a huge difference beetween these 2 bikes. Since the 990 has been made at the same time as the 1078 it might behave the same. The 990 is less powerfull than the 1078 though.

As you said, the wheels are different and to me the 1090 wheels look just great ! I'm not a big fan of the ABS on this kind of sports bikes but if you like it, it could be important to consider it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would take the 990r for the hand welded frame and turn signals incorporated in the mirrors. The body work on the 990r is more detailed. Power will feel the same. The 1090rr is alot different powerwise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just learned a few things on the 990 and it seems to be a great bike.
So for 3000 euros less than the 1090, the 990 would be a better choice.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Personally, my 2 cents worth,they would feel similar ,they are of the same design,have ridden a 1090 rr and they totally feel different to my 1078rr. Now what you really have to say to yourself is what do i want,forget about all the crap about abs and so on.At the end of the day you become one with the bike of your choice .So at the end of the day will you still get the same kick out of the 990 ,my word you will.If you want to save 3000 euro grab the 990 .

cheers eddy

·
Registered
12 Posts
At motorfreaks.nl they have a introduction test 990 versus 1090rr and separate from a 1090r I think.
3K is serious money but if you don't like the wheels and or color every time you enter the shed you see those wheels and think damn!

My bikes are daily drivers and I'm not a racer so abs is a pro for me. ( but my falco/tuono is non abs too so..)
Personally I don't like the silver colored engines of the newer types, black looks much better IMHO.
And I do like those 990 wheels so for me would be the 990 and 3k in the pocket.

Share some pictures of the choices?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for sharing people, very kind indeed. I dont have pictures.
Its the fully black 990r (dont like the all black) and the matte grey for the 2014! No irl pictures

1 - 12 of 12 Posts