MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Neat. I notice it uses rotor bolts for it's sense. Personally one of the things that really appeals to me about my F4 is it's lack of helpful electronics but if you have a use for it it looks pretty cool. Nice to know something like this exists if the need ever arrises.

I took my MV to the track with tires that were older than I thought and the rear tire was quite slithery. While slightly disconcerting it was pretty predictable and easy to control. Or I was just plain lucky. New tires went on before the next session. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
yeah gotta say i have traction control on my 2010 F4 and the only time i've ever switched it on was just to test it and see how it works.... i wouldn't bother spending the money... its the front tyre leting go you've really gotta worry about, the rear is just throttle control

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
yeah gotta say i have traction control on my 2010 F4 and the only time i've ever switched it on was just to test it and see how it works.... i wouldn't bother spending the money... its the front tyre leting go you've really gotta worry about, the rear is just throttle control
Exactly!

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This isn't an either/or right/wrong issue. It's subjective preference.

I can appreciate TC and other electronics, even though I'm old-school and prefer much of my riding to be of the "analog" variety rather than "digital". Riding a BMW HP4 or 'Priller RSV4 Factory will change anyone's mind about the usefulness and effectiveness of TC, etc.

I just wondered if anyone had any actual first- or second-hand experience with the Nemesis system. Not to feed the pro- or anti- debate, but to indicate if it's a good product or not. Not all such electronics systems are created equally, needless to say.

An aftermarket TC system is a product I'm cautious about purchasing, but I'm interested in retrofitting such a system for a project F4. Electronics are the future, like it or else. I want to experience a good system on a Gen1 F4 before I determine my preference.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
This isn't an either/or right/wrong issue. It's subjective preference.

I can appreciate TC and other electronics, even though I'm old-school and prefer much of my riding to be of the "analog" variety rather than "digital". Riding a BMW HP4 or 'Priller RSV4 Factory will change anyone's mind about the usefulness and effectiveness of TC, etc.

I just wondered if anyone had any actual first- or second-hand experience with the Nemesis system. Not to feed the pro- or anti- debate, but to indicate if it's a good product or not. Not all such electronics systems are created equally, needless to say.

An aftermarket TC system is a product I'm cautious about purchasing, but I'm interested in retrofitting such a system for a project F4. Electronics are the future, like it or else. I want to experience a good system on a Gen1 F4 before I determine my preference.
Yeah. That's a good way of looking at it.

Looking at the system itself it uses the rotor bolts for it's sensors. The only comment that I have is I have seen some digital speedo's that use that. Some of the digital speedo's are "slow" to react due to using the bolts as a sense. On a traction control system being slow to react might mean more sliding before the system reacts. At higher speeds this could be an issue. I would put that under a microscope a bit more and find out how "quickly" the system can react. Most of the ABS and TC systems on modern machines use a perforated rotor and optical sensors and have easily double to triple the sense points. You might not get the same level of performance as you would on a factory installed system because of that.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Sure, but if you're trying to go fast, that TC sure can save your ass. The same could be said about slipper clutches. After all, it's just clutch lever control...

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Sure, but if you're trying to go fast, that TC sure can save your ass. The same could be said about slipper clutches. After all, it's just clutch lever control...
Well. That's certainly true. At speed on a track all sorts of simple mistakes with older technology can land you in deep heap of crap.

But to play devils advocate. Not everyone is interested in the same thing. I really enjoy knowing that it's me rather than clever electronics keeping the bike with the rubber side in the correct orientation. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well. That's certainly true. At speed on a track all sorts of simple mistakes with older technology can land you in deep heap of crap.

But to play devils advocate. Not everyone is interested in the same thing. I really enjoy knowing that it's me rather than clever electronics keeping the bike with the rubber side in the correct orientation. :)

If you aren't interested in going fast, then why would you be even close to approaching the limits of the grip of the rear tire?

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
If you aren't interested in going fast, then why would you be even close to approaching the limits of the grip of the rear tire?
I'm sure you realize there's lots of interpretations of the concept of "fast".

I don't consider myself fast by any stretch of the imagination but I have had the back of my F4 get loose on me. There's also rain, oil, gravel and stupidity all of which will cause a loss of traction for anyone at any time no matter how fast you are going. :)

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I don't consider myself fast by any stretch of the imagination but I have had the back of my F4 get loose on me. There's also rain, oil, gravel and stupidity all of which will cause a loss of traction for anyone at any time no matter how fast you are going. :)
Hence the real reason for TC, ABS, etc. on the street. Not to go fast, but to maintain a margin of safety for such unexpected road hazards. That's what I'm interested in. My MVs will likely never be on a track. That's what track-dedicated GSX-R750s are for.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Hence the real reason for TC, ABS, etc. on the street. Not to go fast, but to maintain a margin of safety for such unexpected road hazards. That's what I'm interested in. My MVs will likely never be on a track. That's what track-dedicated GSX-R750s are for.
Well. Don't sell your MV short. While there's a lot of practical reasons why a GSXR would make a "better" track bike the MV is truly in it's element when it's on the track. When I was loading my track bike onto my trailer I discovered some issues I could not fix quickly. I brought the MV instead and was quite pleasantly surprised with it on the track.

Another thing to consider. For the price you would pay for a TC retrofit you could pay for a pretty decent riding school. By improving your own "analog" traction control you increase your safety no matter what bike you are riding. The California Superbike School has their slide bike that's quite useful for learning in real time the throttle control required to keep your bike upright.

TC is not a magic bullet. Get into a situation with oil on the road and loose your front tire and there's nothing the system can do to save you.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Which is why TC is good to have on a road bike. Unless you are spinning up the tire, you aren't really keeping the bike upright with your throttle modulation. If you are doing that, then you would probably like some nice TC to help you ride faster.

I can't fathom why anyone would want a bike with 160HP at the tire and no TC.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Which is why TC is good to have on a road bike. Unless you are spinning up the tire, you aren't really keeping the bike upright with your throttle modulation. If you are doing that, then you would probably like some nice TC to help you ride faster.

I can't fathom why anyone would want a bike with 160HP at the tire and no TC.
To each their own. Personally I'm not a huge fan of bikes that are all engine anyway. Using brute force all the time is kind of boring to me. Not a lot of challenge to just twisting the right hand grip and having bought the bike with the biggest engine.

·
Registered
475 Posts
To each their own. Personally I'm not a huge fan of bikes that are all engine anyway. Using brute force all the time is kind of boring to me. Not a lot of challenge to just twisting the right hand grip and having bought the bike with the biggest engine.
When everyone else is on bike like that the game changes.

Riding a liter bike at pace is much harder than most people (including myself) think, until they try it.

It took 4 races before I was as fast on my F4 as I was on my 2005 GSX-R 750.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
When everyone else is on bike like that the game changes.

Riding a liter bike at pace is much harder than most people (including myself) think, until they try it.

It took 4 races before I was as fast on my F4 as I was on my 2005 GSX-R 750.
Just a matter of preference. I'm sure it's quite interesting threading those bikes through the corners when you are in a hurry and they are not quite in the mood to change direction. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts