MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was kind of strange when I was shown the starting procedures when I picked up my bike....

But I was told I must pull the clutch lever in whenever I start the bike ..... even when the bike is in neutral.

And this is true .... if I try to start the bike, neutral light on, kickstand down, she will not start if I do not pull the clutch lever in.

The 2010 F4 Owner's Manual, on page 64 states:

One of the following conditions must be verified, in order that the ignition switch system allows engine starting:

--The gears are in neutral.

-- The gears are engaged, the clutch lever is pulled and the kickstand is up.

Is there something wrong with this picture? I mean I'm having issues with my dash NOT allowing me to set the UNITS to MPH and now this.

Do y'all have to pull the clutch lever in to start your bike while she's in neutral?

I have never had to engage the clutch to start any bike I've had when the bike is in neutral.

I'm beginning to wonder if my bike has issues or it was not setup properly ..... or both.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
my experience is that bikes don't always need to be in neutral, but they do need to have to clutch pulled in unless you bypass

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
I am not sure about the new model,with my 1078 if the bike is in neutral and kickstand up the bike will start without pulling the clutch lever in,Mitch.

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
Many bikes are like this...all Suzukis are. It is a safety thing, just in case the bike is in gear even though the neutral light is on (can happen).

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It is a safety thing, just in case the bike is in gear even though the neutral light is on (can happen).
When I picked up my F4 from the dealer he told me to always pull the clutch in when I start it, he said he had seen a couple of instances when the bike seemed to be in neutral but jumped into gear as soon as it fired. I think its a pretty good habit to get into anyway.

·
Registered
643 Posts
all 2010+ models have to be started with the clutch lever pulled in. It's a saftey thing, and not a bad one. I watched a fellow rider dump his Honda when he started it, while not on it, and it wasn't really in nuetral and it jumped forward and dumped. It's easy to get used to, but completely normal for your bike.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
i tried this morning, sitting on the bike with the sidestand up and the bike in neutral: the bike starts without holding the clutch

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
i tried this morning, sitting on the bike with the sidestand up and the bike in neutral: the bike starts without holding the clutch
Not relevent mate, you have a different model bike to the gent who asked the question in the first place.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Not relevent mate, you have a different model bike to the gent who asked the question in the first place.
point taken, but we're talking about other bikes as well in this thread, guzzis and suzukis and such.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
trumpy's are the same i believe. It's not a bad idea as has been said

·
Registered
49 Posts
MY2010 F4 require the clutch lever to be pulled to start the bike. I also own a 2010 and I have to do it also. Remember to also use the key to turn off the bike not the kill switch above the starter switch. To change from KPH to MPH you select MPH then hold the big button down for at least 7 seconds for the change to take.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts