MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, It looks like I will have to take off the front end of my 910S to try and tighten up the steering head. I don't have a front stand so I would appreciate any recommendation about securing the bike to be able to take off the forks. I like the idea of the ConStands paddock stand but before I spend a lot of money I would like to see if anyone on the forum has used it and how well it works.

Any advise about working with the steering head would be greatly appreciated. It look like a lot of take apart work and not much repair.

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
Why take the forks off to simply snug up the steering head bearings?

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
I would simply do this:

4.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to check the integrity of the bearings but I guess if I tighten it up I should be able to tell what kind of shape they are in, for instance if there is any "slop" in the bearings etc...

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
There are several ways to support your bike's front end without a dedicated front stand.

FIRST put the bike on your rear stand and then:

Using a soft wood block, jack up the front from under the bike.

or

Using a soft strap, loop the strap through the frame and lift the bike to an overhead point using a suitable come-a-long or other block and tackle.

or

Using the soft strap method and a suitable step ladder, get a bud or tow to help lift the front end and suspend it from the ladder...or between two ladders

I have used many methods to life the front of a bike without the use of a front stand. Use care and make sure whatever you do is stable.

Reactions: theknurl

·
Administrator
20,072 Posts
The bearings should be fine, no visual inspection required. AFTER you snug up the steering stem nut as SS showed (no disassembly required), then slowly move the handlebars through the full range of movement back and forth paying attention for any roughness or sticky spots.

The only thing that would require bearing replacement is denting in the races which causes sticky spots...usually felt worst in the straight ahead position...the result of impact from the looseness allowing movement.

Wheelies with loose bearings cause the most damage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I never do wheelies so that damage would never happen that way. It all sounds pretty easy. I guess I just need to get the spanner.

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
Don't crank it tight...it just needs to be snug, then backed off a touch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I've called many dealers to see if I can get the wrench and so far no dealers in the USA have the wrench. I guess MV has screwed over a couple of dealers so their not selling MV until MV get their SH*^ together. Does any body know where I can get the steering wrench, number 800091645, with in the next few weeks. I don't want to ride it much without tightening it up. Good thing I have my trusty Kawasaki ZRX1200 to ride. It's bullet proof. I don't really want to borrow one as I might need it in the future.

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
I have one that I will send you at your cost. Just return it when you are done. PM me your details.

I bought mine from TPO parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have one that I will send you at your cost. Just return it when you are done. PM me your details.

I bought mine from TPO parts.
Thanks for the offer. I did find one at a dealer in Virginia. They can get it to me in about a week so I ordered it

·
Registered
83 Posts
On a related note. What exactly prompted the need to check the pre-load on the bearings? Vibration? Age? Miles? I ask because I am a novice.

·
Administrator
20,072 Posts
On a related note. What exactly prompted the need to check the pre-load on the bearings? Vibration? Age? Miles? I ask because I am a novice.
Usually it is a discernible movement of the forks under braking, sometimes a clicking sound. Experienced riders familiar with the bike will notice vague or notchy steering feel. Vibration at the handlebars frequently is greater than normal....but these things develop gradually, so many do not notice anything.

Placing a finger at the juncture of the steering stem and frame while rocking the bike forward against the front brake will reveal slight movement of the stem when the bearings are loose. You might also hear a click sound (not to be confused with sounds from the brake caliper and pads).

This is a maintenance item that a good technician should check during routine services, and adjust as needed....the key word here being "good"...a lot of just average techs out there. Good ones are hard to find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The thing that lead me to look at the steering head was when I would come to a stop you could feel some movement of the steering head. If you sit on your bike put the front brake on and try to move the handle bars to see if there is any movement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts