MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to borrow a cable to do some Microtec mapping. M196 USB can converter. This one in particular. If anyone in the US has this I will be in your debt. If you are International, I will happily pay shipping. Please let me know if you can help.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, Where and who? I'm not familiar with them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Google Ducshop and the bloke there is Mark Sutton.
They really are a Ducati place but do a lot with Microtec ECU's.
Maybe they can help you???????
Chris at XBIKES in the UK as well but he is not on here anymore.
Used to go by the name X81 I think.
I found him a good bloke to deal with.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Wish i could help but all i have are connectors for Pectel systems. Not sure what they call em but fairly sure its not quite what you need.

Have you tried contacting APEXspeedtech yet? Alex might have something that could be of use. Think they have a forum as well.

There is also APEXspeed forums but don't know if they are connected in any way. Although, this is a forum of all things road racing and tons of folks on there utilize aftermarket electronics, so some folks there are bound to have what you need.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Good luck with finding one Jason, I tried for years to get another. Microtec developed their own and coded it somehow so nothing else works, I have even spoken to them directly with no luck. I have tried anything from $40 to $250 serial to USB converters, with no luck.
If one of the USA guys won't lend you one, you can use mine, as soon as I get new maps from Chris for my new M226.
Let me know how you get on, maybe ask on the various Facebook pages also, specially the USA Facebook page...

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did ask on FB, no replies yet. I'll make a couple calls in the US, if no one steps up, I'll get ahold of you Dons. Glad to see you healed up well and back at it.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Jason like you and Dons I had trouble connecting my microtec M191 ECU and tried all sots of cables with no success.
I found the best way (and cheapest) was to buy an 'old' laptop computer with a serial port in it.
I picked one up for 'reasonable' money and use it exclusively for this purpose.
Check out ebay or similar... and you'll probably see one.
Hope this helps mate
Brian.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It could be exactly what I need but for $250, that's a big NOPE.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It could be exactly what I need but for $250, that's a big NOPE.

Why is 250 a big deal for a custom ecu application? This is supposed to be the high end market of bikes, but god forbid one looks at buying data cables for Motec/PI/Bosch/etc. Those things make 250 look cheap. Heck i think even the old HRC data cable is a few hundred.

Have no idea why these things are priced as they are because it seems such a lo cost part. However, since they try to make everything they touch "proprietary" that automatic code for them to try to charge whatever they want.

In the grand scheme of things.....if i spent 1000+ for a tunable ecu 250 for the data cable shouldn't matter. After all, what good an the ecu if one can't program it? I get the whole idea behind it being just a simple connector(or should be) and someone charging what seems like exorbitant fees for such things...the whole idea rubs me the wrong way too. However, if you can think of it as an investment to being able to tune your own bike, then it may be easier to take with the understanding that you aren't going to be beholden to anyone to be able to make adjustments to your bike. Its something that can be done anytime one wishes.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
cables?

the lump in the middle is a 'dongle' its put there to decrypt your "message"

VDSTS uses one
Utilimap chips need one on the 1.6m ECUs
MicroTec uses one.....

and so does the $7,000 CNC program on my friends machining center......that the monthly "up date" fee is $500......

to use the machining center the dongle......must be in it.......

but to write machining programs......you have to shut the machine off and put the dongle in the computer

FUCKING ELECTRONIC ASSHOLES:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Donsy you got off cheap:naughty:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ducshop no help, no cables and not big on long distance tech support. I found a couple cable for sale that will work so seeing how that pans out.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FBF one is what I need and it does exist. have 1. I'll probably just get it.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Jason;
I suspect you have a M226 MicroTec that cable is for a M196......might not be the same ask Chris (X81)

:drummer:

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
+1

Jason;
I suspect you have a M226 MicroTec that cable is for a M196......might not be the same ask Chris (X81)

:drummer:
Good catch Noel. I can see where the confusion stepped in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Just for balance i've had no internet for 5 days due to my provider having an issue that wiped loads of peoples info.

Anyway i replied via email, Said i could possibly supply one and have given info on how to make a cable, i've explained about the fact that you need a serial port computer and also that usb converters don't work. I think i also explainedd that this is down to Microtec sending their info via CAN BUS so a standard USB/serial converter doesn't work. I did most, if not all, of this before you started this thread.

I've been as helpful as i can but i can't force anyone to listen or to take my advice. You are of course welcome to source information from any other source available to you and i wish you luck in that but most of what you're being told here i had already explained to you.

I have been flat out lately so some email replies have been slack but this case isn't one of them.

All the best :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts