MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

My bike needs new shoes...last time I changed tires must have been in 2012. Since then my company sent me around the world and the bike has spent a lot of lonely summers by itself in storage.
I permanently settled in the PNW now and want to start riding the bike again. I have 3 other bikes, so it will only be taken out for an occasional spirited day ride. The thing with Central Oregon is that there are dramatic temperature swings during the day. Cold in the morning, blistering hot in the afternoon, followed by a 30 degree drop once the sun goes down.
The bike is a 2008 F4 312R (X-bikes package) and is currently shoed on Bridgestone S20.
What would be a good tire to use in my current environment ? I am not tracking it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
^ The two compound Michelin tires seems to be the only thing available in the 750 sized front (120/65). Just got a set last week.

·
Super Moderator
23,502 Posts
I'd suggest the S22. IT does the job nicely on my 312R here in New England's varying temps.

Reactions: Tony F

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am a big fan of the Michelin pilot road's... I have had three sets of them for my street bikes. Good life, grip feel.

Reactions: PunyJuney

·
Wing Nut
21,560 Posts
Welcome back Yves !!! I am very fond of the new Dunlop Q4. Quick warm up and great feedback. DOT track day tire designed for use without tire warmers, but they wear very well (mileage wise).
The Q3+ are also good.

Reactions: flossy

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you would go out only occasionally and in good weather then my vote would be either MITCHELIN Pilot Power 3 or Metzeler M9RR

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’ve been on Bridgestone for 15 years almost exclusively and I find them very consistent in almost all conditions. Mostly BT002/003
Northern Illinois weather, Florida and Arizona heat among others.
I’m getting a set of the T31 to try on my Brute.
I can’t believe there’s a bad tire out there though if you get a top brand and model designed in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
dunlop q3+ is the best tire I've used so far. I ride in southern california so not any extreme weather changes but they have always been predictable and grippy in every road condition

Reactions: flossy and esq'z me

·
Super Moderator
2,743 Posts
I am a big fan of the Michelin pilot road's... I have had three sets of them for my street bikes. Good life, grip feel.
Ditto - especially for a road commuter tyre. I love my Corsa III's but they are really unsuited to commuting....bit of waste of tyre really.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I like my S22s.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pirelli Diablo Rosso III/II, I use these on my Italian bikes all year round. They dont like highways tho and nothing really for cruising around town unless you adjust the shocks to make it more comfortable.

My son is riding on Pirelli Angles which he loves as he gets more mileages for the dollar, I was also using a set of Conti Sport Attack and thats my 2nd choice depending on the price for my MV.

my Ducati does not like BTs or S20s so I did not try any on my MV

at the end, they need to be black and made of rubber ;) I doubt you can go wrong with any of our recommendations ... tyre questions are like Oil or Wine questions......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just loaded up Power 5 and will see how they go scrubbing in. Only thing so fare is to run below manufacture settings as its like skating on ice otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
23,502 Posts
... Only thing so fare is to run below manufacture settings as its like skating on ice otherwise.
The First Gen MVs all run a recommended 33 psi front and rear.....what are you calling "manufacture settings"?

·
Registered
2005 F4 1000s Mamba, Kawasaki KZ1300, Yamaha Banshee
123 Posts
I'm with Pirellis Diablo Súper Corsa. I like them. Great feedback, average mileage, very good for trackdays. Not for wet.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I run my Michelin Road 5's at 33 psi and get 8000 miles out of them. They're great in the Colorado canyons. Grippy sides all the time!

Reactions: Juanfran82
1 - 19 of 19 Posts