MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding into work today I got stuck behind a semi going into a clover leaf. I was going way to slow in way to high of a gear and the bike shudderd a bit and started sounding like a ducati (not in a good way). Luckily I was only about a 100 yards from work. Pulled into work turned the bike off and then back on and still sounded like a twin. After not being able to think of anything else but the bike the hole time I was working I finally got to leave and fired the bike up to see if it was ok to ride home. She fired right up and sounded fine... but as I was leaving the parking lot she died. It fired right back up and pulled it back into the parking lot to leave it over night and pick up tomorrow... the ironic part I just bought a silverado and was wondering what was going to be the first thing I woud tow :stickpoke
Long story longer there was no light that came on both times the two issues happened.
Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
EBS relay??

When they get hot they malfunction and bikes sounds shocking!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
not sure if this will do you any good but try disconnecting the battery.
Leave it for 10 - 15 minutes and then hook it back up and see how you go.

this should put the computer back to its base settings as from the factory. Worth a shot ?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
turned off while riding! HELP!

hmmm sounds very familiar to my situation but mine is slightly different. after getting the my bike painted i bring the fairing to my garage, i wire up additional running/brake lights for the rear and also wire the fans to just run all the time(when the ignition is on). so before i do the fan "mod" i noticed that the rear running/brakelight dims when ignition is turned on but a few seconds later it works fine. "ok......" so i finish putting everything back together put my gear on and i start riding home. its 930pm and im on the highway, headlight start flashing i see the battery light come on so immediately take the first exit to get to the nearest parking lot. it also starts to sound like a ducati(in the worst way) and before i get there the bike turns off. call the wife, she gives me a boost with her car, bike turns right on 45 seconds later bike turns off. i hook the jumper wires again this time for about 5 mins, hop on the bike and start riding till i get home which was about 10 mins from where i was. would it be that ebs relay, battery or altenator? check voltage on battery this morning it was 13.5 try to crank bike, it battery dies, measure the battery again, it measures 163V:wtf: battery still cant start motor. to me is battery, any other suggestions. by the way battery is about 2 months old. how can i test the altenator, or this "ebs?" relay and where is it?. also i check all fuses, checks out good. :bawling: i get the bike back with new paint job and now i feel :nutkick:

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
not sure if this will do you any good but try disconnecting the battery.
Leave it for 10 - 15 minutes and then hook it back up and see how you go.

this should put the computer back to its base settings as from the factory. Worth a shot ?
Never heard of that one on a MV yet. :)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
hmmm sounds very familiar to my situation but mine is slightly different. after getting the my bike painted i bring the fairing to my garage, i wire up additional running/brake lights for the rear and also wire the fans to just run all the time(when the ignition is on). so before i do the fan "mod" i noticed that the rear running/brakelight dims when ignition is turned on but a few seconds later it works fine. "ok......" so i finish putting everything back together put my gear on and i start riding home. its 930pm and im on the highway, headlight start flashing i see the battery light come on so immediately take the first exit to get to the nearest parking lot. it also starts to sound like a ducati(in the worst way) and before i get there the bike turns off. call the wife, she gives me a boost with her car, bike turns right on 45 seconds later bike turns off. i hook the jumper wires again this time for about 5 mins, hop on the bike and start riding till i get home which was about 10 mins from where i was. would it be that ebs relay, battery or altenator? check voltage on battery this morning it was 13.5 try to crank bike, it battery dies, measure the battery again, it measures 163V:wtf: battery still cant start motor. to me is battery, any other suggestions. by the way battery is about 2 months old. how can i test the altenator, or this "ebs?" relay and where is it?. also i check all fuses, checks out good. :bawling: i get the bike back with new paint job and now i feel :nutkick:
sounds like you put the battery back in the wrong way mate. easily done and does exactly what you describe.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Sounds to moi as though you may have been running on idle/rich and sooted up the pluggies. Take em out, dust em off and start all over again.

joe

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
sounds like you put the battery back in the wrong way mate. easily done and does exactly what you describe.
hmmm.... never took the battery out, and when i installed i made sure it was the way described on the owners manual picture. and it was working fine for the 2 months its been on.

Sounds to moi as though you may have been running on idle/rich and sooted up the pluggies. Take em out, dust em off and start all over again.

joe
would that be possible after riding for at least 2 miles? after that distance is when everything started to happen.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
It's only a theory..and it is encouraging me to read a little on this engine management system.
As I understand it..he let the revs fall by being in too high a high gear...this would reduce the cylinder pull on air through the intakes..coupled with a large throttle opening as she was in high gear and the tps reads that and sends signal to ecu which sends signal to injectors to squirt more fuel and bingo ..sooted up plugs.

This is only a theory ..I ain't a expert..I'm just thinkin out loud and I'm sure we'll get some much better posts from more clued up members soon !

joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
hmmm.... never took the battery out, and when i installed i made sure it was the way described on the owners manual picture. and it was working fine for the 2 months its been on.

would that be possible after riding for at least 2 miles? after that distance is when everything started to happen.

Kreativ my last 2 posts were to Zippidy...atb joe

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I don't think it will go at all with the battery connectedthe wrong way round.

Kreative, why don't you start your own thread instead of hi-jacking somebody else's thread.
Why do you have your fan's running all the time when the ignition is on....that is silly, they wont last very long. My guess is you run your battery down a bit while doing all your mods, then went for a ride with all the bells and whistles going, not giving your alternator the room to get the battery charged.
Put your battery on a good long charge, change your fan mod with a switch that you can turn on when you need it instead.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yeah i figured zippidy would feel that way. SORRY ZIPPIDY! (for hi-jacking your thread). ill start the thread now and see how that goes. btw reason for fans all the time is because the fans turn off and on at different temps all the time. so it makes it simple to just be on all the time speacially being so hot overhere during the summer.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
+1

Yeah i figured zippidy would feel that way. SORRY ZIPPIDY! (for hi-jacking your thread). ill start the thread now and see how that goes. btw reason for fans all the time is because the fans turn off and on at different temps all the time. so it makes it simple to just be on all the time speacially being so hot overhere during the summer.
:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input! I have started it up a half a dozen time or so now and sounds fine and revs fine. I geuss the only issue now is why the hole bike would completely shut off with no warning? All have to have some one follow me for a short ride in case I end up dead in the water some where.
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Your bike doesn't like following trucks. It was telling you that.

Feel the force young Luke.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Don't know how low your rpm got or for how long but MV's alternators don't charge the battery until you're above something like 16-1700 rpm. Maybe you ran the batt down.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Did you have the tank resprayed? Bikes often have a breather hole in the tank, somewhere around the filler cap. Sometimes when a tank is resprayed, this hole/vent is covered. This prevents the tank from pulling in air and causes a vacuum, this then starves the injectors which can cause a bad misfire and eventual failure through fuel starvation. It takes about 10 minutes to create the vacuum depending on fuel level.

I am only suggesting this as it is common on my other bike (Suzuki RF900R) when people have resprayed them, not because I have experienced it or heard of it on a MV.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Never heard of that one on a MV yet. :)

what does happen is the computer will adjust the engine operating paramaters to the way in which the motor is being run to make the engine run as efficiently as possible

It's only a theory..and it is encouraging me to read a little on this engine management system.
As I understand it..he let the revs fall by being in too high a high gear...this would reduce the cylinder pull on air through the intakes..coupled with a large throttle opening as she was in high gear and the tps reads that and sends signal to ecu which sends signal to injectors to squirt more fuel and bingo ..sooted up plugs.

This is only a theory ..I ain't a expert..I'm just thinkin out loud and I'm sure we'll get some much better posts from more clued up members soon !

joe
if , as Joe has suggested , using high gears , low revs ,etc then you MAY find ( normally after more than a few miles though ) that the computer has retarded the spark advance , adjusted the mixture etc. to try and compensate.
Now then , when it is turned off the computer is still holding these settings.. May be hard to start and / or run like a pig.

to reset the computer ,all you need to do is disconnect the battery as per my previous post and the computer will return to the factory base settings.
As Donsy says , never heard of this on an MV , neither have I but all other computer controlled vehicles it does work on.... Worth a go ...

Have you ever noticed that you run a bike / car that is computer controlled through the city and when you get to open it up a bit when you hit the open road it seems to take quite a few miles before you get the responsiveness and power back??

that my friend is the computer doing what it is paid to do.. manage the engine operating parameters.

With engine management systems it all comes back to the brain to make the adjustments ( EMS ) and like all brains , it has a memory both short term ( adjusting to your riding condition / style )and also long term ( base factory settings ).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts