MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change my bike in the near future. It's a choice between a 1078RR or a 1090RR (up to 2012).
I'm in a bit of a quandary as to which is the best bike to buy.
I love the rawness of my 910s and know the 1078 will be even better.
Is the 1090rr a better bike because it's newer, or has it been "watered down" to make it more friendly? I want my bike to make me laugh out loud when I open the throttle!
I pretty much know the problems that affect the 1078 (same ones as my 910 I think). the only problem on the 1090rr that I know of is the mirror glass falling out. Is there anything else on either bike that I should look out for?
I haven't had a test ride on either bike yet as I want to be a bit more certain on which bike I like more! I'm not in a hurry to change, and will wait for the right bike to come along.
My big question is; What do you all think? I know I've got to make the choice, but your advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks guys,

Dave.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Dave there are a couple of threads on this which should shed some light on what you're asking.
Check these out...,
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118098
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46284&highlight=1078+1090+Brutale

I've a Brutale 1078rr and I'm always gonna say it is 'the Daddy'...., but both bikes are great and you'll not be disappointed with either.

The 1090 is a little more refined and 'rider friendly'
The 1078 is totally 'viceral' and as mad as a 'box of frogs'

Read both threads Dave jus so you've done yer research......, then GET the 1078rr!!:)
Brian

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,646 Posts
I have a 1090RR and have owned a couple of 07 F4s. I don't see any difference in build quality between the older F4s and the 1090RR. It has a plastic tank vs a steel tank. Don't know if the 1078 has a steel tank but no problems with the plastic so far. It's a blast to ride and goes like stink. As with most MVs the fueling can be touchy but can be sorted out with a new ECU or Power Commander

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
1078rr has a plastic tank,both are great bikes,but nobody will be taking my 1078rr of me,just has this rawness to it like its going to bite you ,just a crazy ride.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If you want to commute on it buy the 1090, if it's a weekend beast and you want a 910 that goes faster get the 1078.

Put it another way, I can ride my 1090RR all day and still do it again the next day. My 910R is definitely a once a month ride now but I still love it when I do. The 1090 has done >16000km since April, the 910 about 2000 and most of those were because the radiator on the 1090 sprung a leak. I HATE riding the 910 to work, but I doubt I'll ever sell it.

Both will leave you with a shiteating grin on the right road.

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,646 Posts
If you want to commute on it buy the 1090, if it's a weekend beast and you want a 910 that goes faster get the 1078.

Put it another way, I can ride my 1090RR all day and still do it again the next day. My 910R is definitely a once a month ride now but I still love it when I do. The 1090 has done >16000km since April, the 910 about 2000 and most of those were because the radiator on the 1090 sprung a leak. I HATE riding the 910 to work, but I doubt I'll ever sell it.

Both will leave you with a shiteating grin on the right road.
The suspension on the newer bike is more refined. Even though the rear shock looks the same the 1090 definitely has a smoother feel. If I had a 910 that would be one of the first things I would change

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm seeming to be guided in the direction of a 1078RR. The bike is not going to be used as a commuter ( I'd never get all my tools on the back of a bike!! I have my own works van.), it's just for weekends and holidays.
The only problem is that there is only one 1078 for sale in the Netherlands and it has too many Kilometres on the clock.
There is a good example for sale in Germany, so I have got to look into the means and costs of importing the bike, as here in the Netherlands we have to pay an extra luxury tax (BPM), on top of the usual taxes!
I wonder if any of the Dutch lads here on the forum have experience of importing a bike?
The 1090RR isn't out of the running yet, but like Brian said, the 1078RR is the Daddy!!

Dave.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
The suspension on the newer bike is more refined. Even though the rear shock looks the same the 1090 definitely has a smoother feel. If I had a 910 that would be one of the first things I would change
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm seeming to be guided in the direction of a 1078RR. The bike is not going to be used as a commuter ( I'd never get all my tools on the back of a bike!! I have my own works van.), it's just for weekends and holidays.
The only problem is that there is only one 1078 for sale in the Netherlands and it has too many Kilometres on the clock.
There is a good example for sale in Germany, so I have got to look into the means and costs of importing the bike, as here in the Netherlands we have to pay an extra luxury tax (BPM), on top of the usual taxes!
I wonder if any of the Dutch lads here on the forum have experience of importing a bike?
The 1090RR isn't out of the running yet, but like Brian said, the 1078RR is the Daddy!!

Dave.
Dave I done a lot of mods to my 1078rr and one of them was a new rear shock...., it transformed the ride.

If? You get one I really recommend a 'Nitron' shock...,

Here is my thread on it.,
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44880

What!!! Reading about mods before you've even decided on the bike????
Yeah!! bring it on!:)
Brian.

Oh and don't discount the 1090.... It's the 'step Daddy'!:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
the standard settings for the high speed compression on the rear shock of a 1078rr are zero clicks out, that's nuts as the are 32 clicks on the shock. my kidneys felt like they'd been kicked all around the park when I first got my 1078rr, I had the shock set up and the guy set it to 14 clicks out and that transformed the bike straight away. Now after a few hours work the bike rides like a dream

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm planning on fitting my Arrow titanium twin pipes if I get the 1078.
Can I get away with just a PC V or do I also need a race ECU?

Dave.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave, don't be scared by a few km on the clock, so long as the maintenance has been done these bike can go a long way.
It's not so much the Km's on the engine, but rather wear and tear in general. If I can, I'd like a bike with less than 10000 km's (the one in Germany has 8000 km's).

Dave.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting, the plastic tank. Does a 910R have a plastic tank or is it metal?

Cheers from da Lowlands.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
A pc5 can be fitted ,but your dyno guy will not be able to tune the first 20 percent throttle position ,because of the effects of the lambda sensor.Brian has a Microtec fitted and loves it ,I instead have a race ecu and pc5 fitted.Your call on this.

High compression setting is a major issue with most shocks,it does not mean for high speed. Nitron as Brian has installed great shock.Also i have changed my seat for a Corbin ,I can ride all week.even in traffic. The 1090rr is all set up for this type of riding ,listen to rsawkins he is spot on.

I and Brian also have spent some dollars on the 1078rr to achieve a level above the standard setup,and every dollar worth it.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
i have changed my seat for a Corbin ,I can ride all week.even in traffic.

I and Brian also have spent some dollars on the 1078rr to achieve a level above the standard setup,and every dollar worth it.

cheers eddy
Well Eddy's financial status is obviously in another league to mine.., he got a custom 'Corbin' seat....., I got a pair of 'cycle shorts'!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_579vk064b2_b

'Nappy time!! Oh yeah!'
Brian:laughing:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Funny Brian ,but i can not make anything beautiful like you.So it costs me crap loads. LOL
:brutale:
CHEERS

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I think I would go for an 1078. Will keep my eyes open in the neighbourhood ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks Erik. I've got my eye on a nice 1078 in Wuppertal, Germany.
I think I'll be going for a 1078, and not the 1090rr.

Dave.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts