MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my current ride and I am going to add a second bike this spring. My question is should I not only get the 1000R but trade my current bike in on a 1098? I could even spend the winter parting put my current bike and place it back to stock then trade. Here is my current bike, an 03 R1 with around 6K miles on it. Never had a duc before and not sure of the new engine and if it would have any problems to work out in the first year of production.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow, that's one sweet ride.......would be a shame to let her go aye. But you've clearly got the disease in you. The one that posesses you to mod & customize. If it's time for another project get the MV. Then you'll be posessed by another bug.......MV passion :)

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
R1andrew said:
Yes, but I would like to see this in my garage :humpother
Oh yes, the best of both worlds :smoking:

Like Archille said, put the R1 back to stock and sell it and all the aftermarket stuff.

Good luck and go get those Italian beauties :stickpoke :popcorn:

A

·
0 Posts
dude that a real nice ride you have there
judging by the attention to detail on the r1
id say that your buying an mv and a duc
would suit u, because out of the box or crate they
have amazing attention to detail, so i think you would really appreciate them\

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thats a sweet R1!!!

I think the best option for you is a 1000R. The 1098 will be much slower than your R1 and you will probably be disappointed. I personally find the powerband on the v twins to be disappointing when you've been riding 4 cylinders for a while.

The 1000R on the other hand will be as fast or faster than your R1 in terms of performance.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
If I could afford both, I'd have them both. You could buy the f4 this year, let the frenzy die out a little with the 1098 and let them sort the new bike issues out. With the possibility of 1200cc in superbikes you never know, there may be a 1200cc road version...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Let me ask you this. What are your thoughts between the F41000S vs. the F41000R? Do you feel the differences between the R and the S are worth $3K to $4K? The reason I mention this is there are deep discounts on the 2006 S model AND a low interest special (5%) from the factory.

So, my thought are (if you don't mind an S), get the S to keep your R1 company. Sell your parts and then sell the R1 and pick up a 1098 sometime next year.

Powerwise, I think the 1098 will be much greater than the '03 R1. We're talking 140hp/60ish lbs of torque vs 160hp and 90lbs of torque! I think a twin and a four are a good combination also. A Ducati and an MV make a nice combination too. :)

PS: I spoke to Pro Italia yesterday and they expect demand to be tight on the 1098 for the first year. They've already "sold" seven bikes. I'm not surprised since it's a new model, arguably a nice looking bike, more power, and cost less. But then again, if you don't get one in 2007 - get one in 2008.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here's my 20cents worth. Since you are not already a V Twin - Ducati nut why not wait and see what pans out over the next year. Strong rumour is that by end 07 Ducati will upgrade the 1098 to a full 1200cc, this model may be a stop gap. Also I have some friends who race Dukes and they are concerned over the new engine (still uses the old bottom end) etc, so might be best to wait and see. Hopefully it will be sensational.
Now since you already like nice fours, definately go the MV. Either an S or R you won't be dissapointed. You can then keep yopur R1 or move it on without rushing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually the torque provided from the 02-03 R1's is more then most expect especially low. 70-75 ft lbs is reasonable to expect. Mine has 74 @.

Andrew, you know how much energy getting the R dialed has been especially with your SSSA. I myself am excited about the 1098, but the way you and I are you might as well get an R. lol.

I suppose it comes down to finances, and what makes you feel best... and what the wife lets you do, :lol

thanks for the PM. :)

Allan Gibbs said:
Powerwise, I think the 1098 will be much greater than the '03 R1. We're talking 140hp/60ish lbs of torque vs 160hp and 90lbs of torque!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Greg Albert said:
Here's my 20cents worth. Since you are not already a V Twin - Ducati nut why not wait and see what pans out over the next year. Strong rumour is that by end 07 Ducati will upgrade the 1098 to a full 1200cc, this model may be a stop gap.
Just my thought's :)
All manufactures do this trick, they're hardly going to bring out a full 1200cc and have no where to "develop" the bike to next year? with this in mind life is too short to keep waiting for the next model, I could of waited for the 1000R for 6 years, but I bought the 750 in 2000 :naughty:

It will all be planned out, 1098 this year, 1156? or whatever in two years, then 1198 the year after.

MV did the same with the 750, what started as a 120hp engine went through various EVO this and that and ended up at a 140hp SPR version, it's all just a big marketing exercise :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Get the one with the four pipes, it will change your life and you will never regret it...

Ducati's are great...But-every year Ducati sells 40,000 to 50,000 bikes worldwide........Nothing wrong with that...yamaha sells over1 million bikes per year worldwide...Nothing wrong with that either, In many ways these numbers are actually good for you as a consumer....Ducati does a great job at being Ducati, and of course Yamaha does a fine job a being Yamaha...

So whats my point?

MV agusta is a whole new ballgame my friend...MV agusta is building as many engines as possible, they operate on a 24hour 3times 8 hour shifts...They are at an absolute maximum capacity unit wise...Thats about 8 thousand bikes{MV only} worldwide...And about five thousand of those bikes are delivered to Europe or wherever....This leaves a couple thousand F-4's and Brutales{ I dont know the ratio} for America....

Where does this leave you?..........Spend some time on this forum and you will quickly surmise, This leaves you in very good company !...
On the most coveted motorcycle readily availible...I am not going to drone on about all kinds of bullshit like status, exclusivtivity, performance or any thing else........I am just going to say one thing to you.....
When you get on this bike something happens deep within your soul, something happens to your heart....It becomes religeous..

If you think a different machine is going to give you a similar experience, well my friend -you havent graduated yet....This is the masterclass..

Get the one with the 4 pipes......

If our paths cross- I'll let you have a go on mine... Now how often will you get an offer like that on some of the other boards?

This is not some holyer then thou, self congradualitory bullshit on my part....Ride one- you will figure it out for yourself.......Whole new ballgame kid, remember that..........

Keep it between the hedges, ....nice R1 by the way..

FBD

·
Registered
150 Posts
firebreathingdog said:
When you get on this bike something happens deep within your soul, something happens to your heart....It becomes religeous..
[...]Get the one with the 4 pipes
Amen & Allelujah! :guitarist :violin: :drummer:

101% agreed! :naughty:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't worry guys I am getting the one with 4 pipes. I was considering selling the R1 also and getting the duc. My concern was new engine in the first year. But damn that red color on the duc just :humpother

1 - 18 of 18 Posts