MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone tell me what type of oil you or your dealer used when you got your 1st service please and thankyou.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I haven't done my first service yet... that's what's called out in the manual. What your dealer does behind closed doors... ???

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Try the manual

Type is fine. When you say it "should be" does this mean your not sure?
He probably looked in the manual :stickpoke

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't worry, Donsy does that to everyone :laughing: he doesn't miss a thing! Probably a good thing when he's racing his F4 giving it everything that it has! :smoking:
everybody has to have somebody to keep them in check. i totally missed that page though. i was freakin out. had a friend at another shop buying my oil for me couse its cheaper than at the dealer i purchased the bike from. luckily with the help of donsy i got him the info before he got tired of waiting for me to locate the info needed. i love this forum. so much info. i even appreciate sarcastic info:yo: Im guilty of giving that a lil myself.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Shuuut uuuup

missed the weighing scales, needs to get some weight of that belly before reducing the weight of the bike anymore:naughty:

:nutkick:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Lucky

I'm sticking to what the designers and engineers of the engine recommend.
Exactly, I could not agree more, if you follow everything they say & then you have a problem, they have no come back on you. If fact, you are the one that has hand.

I service, or even over service my bikes, am manic about 'break in' & all other kind of manufacturers' guidelines & maintenance schedules ( with both my cars & bikes), what I can do myself I do & what I can't I give to trusted professionals like Trooper Lu's Garage.

People think I am lucky to own high maintenance (and perceived problematic) vehicles like Mv Agustas, Alfa Romeos & (older) Maserati that don't give me problems - I reckon you make your own luck! :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Oil specs

The "5w" in the spec refers to the winter performance, so if you do not live or ride in very low temperatures, the more easily available 10w 40 will be perfect.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get almost as much entertainment out of washing, waxing, and servicing my motorcycles as I do riding them.So I completely understand changing the oil just to change the oil. I never know when the fellas will want to go put down 1000 miles over the weekend. So I'm always clean and ready to go. My race bikes get rotella oil. Its cheap(best deal at wall mart). 18 bucks a gallon. Works good and is changed after every race weekend. My beloved f3 will get what is recommended. Especially while under warranty. Got 2 cover your own ass. No one else will do that for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/t6/

I'll be using Rotella T6 in my bike. ALOT of people use this in their Ducatis, Triumphs, and what not. NOthing but good things to say. I use this in my Triumph 675 when I had it. Good stuff. Cheap too when on sale.

Then again I do my own oil changes every 4000kms, and whenever I store it for the winter, and again after 1000kms when I take it out from storage for the spring. Oil contaminates once introduced to waste gas and emissions so better more frequent than not.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Too Much

lol Rob, goes with working offshore, I say it as it is, no pussy footing around. If you give it out, you got to be prepaired to take it too

I note you "over service" your bikes Rob? why is that? too much cash, pass some this way if you care

back to the oil; you cant go wrong with the shell oil I advised and its far easier to get hold off than many oils on the market.

I was unaware that such a thing was possible :confused:

My bikes usally on the receiving end of short very sharp bursts (150klms max usually), I believe that requires more servicing than long lazy rides as it will break down oils etc etc faster - it has worked out well for me as proven by the avoidance of not only major dramas but nearly no dramas at all - no hub issues here (F4) approaching 24k and will replace the cam chain as per book even it 'looks' fine from measurements etc.

Not all servicing costs money Roy, chain adjustments, brake bleeds, drum adjustments, valve clearances (do that myself on the old bikes), clutch adjustments etc etc.

I use Motul for the modern bikes & Penrite (outstanding Australian oil) for the older bikes - It's worked (and is working) out great for me as as they say "When you are a good thing stick to it". :)

....Too much cash....... I really can't get over that :laughing:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Can't Teach An Ol'Dog New Tricks

What exactly do you mean Rob? in one quote you say you over service your bike and then you say an over service isnt possible?

so what do you really mean.

There is one saying (if it aint broke dont fuck with it), sure regular services are required, especually if a warranty is involved.

Through-out industry especually with Shell, BP, Mobil and various companies I haved worked for including the above; servicing has drastically been cut back, including PM routines infact, weekly/3 monthly/6 monthly routines have mostly been removed as un-required, this was not down to saving on labour although obviously that was a consideration.

tend to disagree with your comment that not all servicing costs money Rob, I guess it depends on how much you value your time for one, also depends on whether you keep a nice supply of shims at hand and whether you re-use gaskets etc

chain adjustments, brake bleeds etc aint really servicing these are just carried out as and when required as part of bike ownership, kind of a habbit you get into with daily riding checks, you find your chain is slack, you adjust it, not really a service.

But to aswer your point on over servicing; yes; you can over service and it is proven through the likes of the above companies not to be productive as well as the possibility of work being over looked or done incorrectly.
As previously said many weekly checks, 3 monthly/6 monthly mechanical checks on various equipment have now been scrapped world wide with major oil companies.

Just how quick do you expect a "oil" to break down as you put it? Might have to bring this up at the next morning meeting offshore. Hopefully you can inform me more on the breakdown of oil please.

P.S. if you know anything about the breakdown of Glycol's and Amine, that would be a great help too as we are having problems with our glycol & amine at present.
Agree 100% - my method of looking after bikes has held me in excellent stead - so I am not messing with it! Simple - my bikes, my money, my way.

On another note this may interest you - the offending tail piece is gone - replaced by a Moto Corse unit :) Happy now? - LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts