MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a lot of my gear is getting pretty old and somewhat ratty. I really need a new helmet but I dont really see a lot that I like. I've Looked at Arai's website (which hasn't been updated with models since 2005, WTF?), I've looked at Shoei, Suomy, Vemar and can't seem to find anything I like. I want a simple design that compliments the Corsa colors, simple and understated, none of the tribal over the top designs.
I also need new gloves. My current 3-4year old Suomy gloves are falling apart and need to be replaced. I want a high quality glove that is very comfortable with good protection. I dont want any studs in the glove, it must have a all leather palm (I don't want anything on the palm which will scratch the bar-ends). I've used Helds in the past which I really liked for their comfort, but their styles have been lacking in the past.
I would also like a new jacket at some point. There is something wrong with me wearing my textile coat emblazoned with the huge honda racing logo's while riding the MV. I would like a nice stylish Jacket, either leather or textile, which will look nice regardless of whether I am on the bike or not. I would like it to have crash protection. I also would like for it to not have that "racer boy" look. Retro-style is good or just understated. It does not need to be MV gear or anything, just something nice and stylish.
Boots. My current pair are a little small so I will need a new pair. It has been a while since I purchased boots, so I don't know what is out there. All the shops in my area have little or no selection. I would like a pair to wear either with jeans or leathers. Must be comfortable, allow good movement and offer good to exceptional protection.
Finally, I'd like to replace my leathers. My current pair I purchased while I was still in school so I was working on a very limited budget. Fit is decent, but it is pretty heavy and the leather leaves marks on the bike. I have really liked my Dainese suits in the past, but their prices have really ballooned in recent years. I'd like to find a nice suit which offers exceptional crash protection, is lightweight and offers really good ventilation (it gets pretty hot here in the summer).
My budget: Well, it's not unlimited, so price must be within reason. I'd like to keep the helmet around $500, Gloves under $200, Jacket under $500 but would rather be below $300, boots under $300, Leathers under $1500. I'd love to hear your suggestions. What are you wearing? What have you been looking at? Where have you been buying gear? Please blast away, I'd love to see and hear your suggestions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Helmet - Shark RSR2 (I wear the silver called "Furtif" and full retail is about $500); the other designs too are wild. This helmet has the nicest liner and visor system ever; I sold my Shoei X-11 once I bought and rode with this top-of-the line Shark a few times. I think the Shoei had a little better ventilation and visibility but the Shark RSR2 looks better in my opinion and is supposed to be much safer on impact based on recent articles in Motorcyclist.

Jacket - go Dainese, the Zen model or something like it and insert the G2 or Wave 2 spine protector (it already has shoulder and elbow armor). I wear my black/silver/red Zen perforated all the time, even in winter down here in Texas as it comes with an insulated zip out liner. Full retail for the jacket is about $400 and the spine protector is $50 to $80.

You guessed it, I also wear Dainese gloves and boots.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Well here is it what I wear, like and where I'm looking at to replace some worn out and aged Gear:
1 Piece Suit, perforated - Spidi Raptor (red/black/gold)
2 Piece Suit, for Winter / cooler Days - MV Agusta race replica (red)
Boots - Sidi Vertebra
Glooves - Alpinestars GP (most used), Spidi, Dainese
Helmet - Arai RX7
I'm looking at replacing Boots and Helmet this Year. since my Stuff is turning 7 Years old.
I think the Schuberth R1 Helmet will be my Choise as Helmet, since it has an integrated Sun Visor, should be quite silent, has first class Aerodynamics (low lift forces at speed,etc.) and has really great Protection. But color option would be for me just carbon. The Dekors are to flashy for me.
I'm fascinated by the new Puma Boots and will have a closer look at them. If not these than I will probably end up buying some Frey Daytona's.

·
Registered
160 Posts
speaking from experience, I owned a Vemar helmet and all dainese gear. Recently I had a get-off (on a track thank goodness) going about 140mph. Besides my helmet, everything held up wonderfully (the helmet did its job though) and I was amazed at how few injuries I sustained. Dainese definitely earned my loyalty

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beyond the construction, Dainese also utilizes some of the best armor in the industry. I wore them when I raced and they withstood much more than the cheaper brands.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wholeheartedly endorse them, after what happened I dont think I could have come out any better off. No broken bones, some torn ligaments in my hand, and general soreness... thats not a damn thing for how fast I was going. And besides my helmet, of course, everything is in very good shape to ride with again. My bike... didnt fair so well. But it'll be fixed soon enough and I'll be riding the day I get it back.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
A quick check of the gear closet,

1. 1 AGV XR2 (Rossi), 3 Arai Corsairs (Hayden/Harada/Spencer), 2 Suomy Extreme (Bostrom Evil-Knievel/Golden Flower)
2. 2 Spidi suits, 2 Dainese, 1 Helimot (Crashed: 2 Spidi, 1 Dainese Jack)
3. 2 Teknic gloves, 1 Held Galaxy glove
4. 3 Alpinestars SMX-plus, 1 Alpinestars Supertec, 1 Dainese Axial Race-In boots
5. 1 Fieldsheer Air textile jacket
6. 1 Dainese Safety jacket, 1 Dainese Gilet
7. 1 Dainese Back-protector

Of these item, my favorite for street and track is as follow,

Track: Suomy Extreme Bostrom, Dainese Bora Prof., Teknic Speedstar gloves, Dainese Back-protector, Dainese Axial Race-in boots

Street: Arai Corsair Spencer, Textile jacket, Dainese Safety Jacket or Gilet (Depends on temp. and activity), jean and my ankle-high shoes

In the past several years, I have developed a strong appreciation for Suomy Extreme helmet for their light-weight, protection and fiinish (My all-time favorite still the Arai Corsair Harada). When it's time to pack my gear bag for the track, it's consistently the same combination.

·
Registered
330 Posts
honestly I love my Fieldsheer Samurai gloves. I have all Fieldsheer stuff and it is not by any means the most expens but I really like it. we all wear it down here in LA. I actually wear the boots all over the place. way more comfortable than The Alpine Stars. As for a serious pair of one piece leathers goes.. the last word or words is Barnacle Bill. he will make you a custom suit however you would like to your specs for a very reasonanable price

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
sgsoloplayer said:
I wholeheartedly endorse them, after what happened I dont think I could have come out any better off. No broken bones, some torn ligaments in my hand, and general soreness... thats not a damn thing for how fast I was going. And besides my helmet, of course, everything is in very good shape to ride with again. My bike... didnt fair so well. But it'll be fixed soon enough and I'll be riding the day I get it back.
:jsm: :jsm: :jsm:

I am so sorry to hear that! glad to hear that you are okay relatively. where were you and how is your MV? any pics?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts