MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first post just recently talking about how I loved my brutale, and apparently that was tempting fate. I have a 1078rr with 8400 miles, had 7500 service about two months ago, with no problems identified. On Sunday I was driving home from work, cruising about 40mph in 3rd. I was not accelerating or shifting when I heard something snap and then rattle briefly. I stopped and checked the bike and nothing appeared wrong. I drove the remaining mile home, and when I checked my bike the left side of the bike was dripping oil from around the kickstand. I cleaned it and couldn't find any leak, but the chain appeared loose. I then started it and oil began to steadily drip (pour almost) from underneath the panel over the chain and output shaft. My guess is chain possibly cracked the case? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention that the bike rode home the rest of the way smoothly, no rattles or bumps. Shifted just fine. Haven't had time/comfortability to remove parts to check much further.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
All will be revealed once that sprocket cover comes off. Hopefully not too expensive.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Did you happen to notice how tight the chain was prior to this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not notice how tight the chain was prior. I tend to leave it slightly on the loose side per advice on this forum to prevent hub failure. As mentioned I had it serviced a short time ago, and I briefly looked over everything and did not notice any obvious laxity. I hope to have time Friday to take things apart and check it out further. Thanks for any input. Also, I live in Northern California and Elk Grove Powersports is the closest dealer and where I had the bike serviced last. Anybody have any experience with them regarding mv agusta?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Before you bring it to the dealer, remove the chain cover and see what damage there is, as suggested. We might be able to diagnose your problem. A picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely do that. I have a lot of respect for the advice from the members of this forum. This forum is what made me, a man of limited mechanical abilities and living two hours from the nearest dealer, feel comfortable enough to buy an mv. I was more getting off subject when asking about dealerships because my dad's bike needs service soon and I don't have too much faith in where I took my bike. I will now shut up until I have some pictures

·
Registered
14,628 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've trusted mechanics for work and gotten my truck back with the wrong oil filter...that one cost me an engine. It's definitely worth going over what they've done (found a rag smoldering on my exhaust manifold another time), if you don't have the time to do it yourself.

I'm a speculator, so I'll take a guess. From the sound of things (crack, rattle, oil, loose chain, but still smooth ride home), and this is just speculation, I'd guess the outer output shaft bearing self destructed, chucked its cookies (the rattle) and now the shaft is free floating on the outside. It's lack of support slacks the chain, but the shaft is still relatively centered and supported enough not to wobble much during a relatively smooth ride. The oil fires out through the destroyed bearing. Never seen this happen (has anyone else?), but I'd think it's plausible and, again, pure speculation.

Let us know what you find out, good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all thank you for everybody saying nicely, "Why don't you take off the cover and look?" instead of saying, "Take off the cover already dumbass." I finally got it off today. To me it appears one of the teeth broke off and broke the rubber seal as there is rubber debris all over the area and no other abnormalities visible. Any advice or what else to look for is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bum deal. I suspect you took a small rock or some other debris up under the sprocket cover. It's amazing what kind of crap is on our roads. I pulled a car key out of my tire a couple of weeks ago. Looked like a Honda key..... Needless to say that wasn't repairable as it left a long, flat wound. Something I always used to worry about when I rode my Ducati MH900e with the open clutch cover was eating road junk and f-ing the clutch.

·
Registered
14,628 Posts
m293rns;
look to see if your chain guide clamp plates (4) are still there,
page B01 of the parts book
items
#12,13 & 17 and the bolts obviously

#12 & #13 are the most likely candidates if their bolt comes out they are on the inside of the of the chain and are going for a ride, right past the seal:jsm::jsm::jsm:

inspect the inside of the chain.....
after that it was road trash

·
Registered
14,628 Posts
?

palerider;
look at the debris in post #11 on the case, it's not chain lube,
its little shredded stuff

only thing it can be is the chain guide is getting sawed on by the chain....

probably because the front guide clamp fell off......if it was the rear it could get ugly:jsm::jsm:

if either guide clamp is gone, it ate the seal

thats my vote

palerider;
been spinning wrenches for almost 54 years, learned a lot, had great mentors, remembered some of it......:naughty:

a friend came over Saturday....he changed his wheels.......

i had tires mounted for him on the wheels he bought from me .....he does the rear, torques it and installs the clip

puts the front on and asks what the torque is on the front axle nut.....

"i don't know.....but do you think you might want to put your discs on the wheel first????"

he was talking while working

"my friend, there's no music in my shop, you're talking, smoking and not thinking.......

your bike came in here with a non lubed axle nut that took 400lbft to remove and your disc bolts were LocTited by the dealer, and your chain is dangling"

"what is the correct adjustment? is it 20mm?"
"6mm it's on the chain guard.....you're at 12-13mm"

he didn't fix it

the torque wrench and 10mm Allen socket were lying there, all he needed to do was ask for the hook spanner
he didn't

"you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them smart"

its my saying:nutkick:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Noel, perhaps your friend was going for lower unsprung weight... Or he really likes that no-brake chopper front end style! I catch myself doing (re-doing) things at times because of what you say: working two steps ahead of your thinking. Whoever said slow down to go fast nailed it. I saw the debris and oil in the photo, didn't slow down to think the debris might be Anything other than road debris. Figured the oil was from the leak (hell of a way to lube your chain). Fellow should probably give the bike a thorough going over to make sure everything else is ship-shape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everybody for your help. The chain guides were all in place. There was some rubber tubing jammed into the seal causing the leak. I ended up ordering the parts myself, but took it to a local mechanic to change the seal. Bike is running great, no further problems. I really appreciate the help.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts