MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to find what headlight unit I could replace on the F4. This unit comes in at over 3 lbs with the two glass projector lenses accounting for nearly 1 lb of it. I am going to keep the housing but want to find a way to get rid of the glass lenses. What are my options?

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To explain more. I am looking for a light unit, not just a bulb, that I can put in place of the stock unit. I am not objective to cutting the unit I have circled below. Want to find a light that does not need the projector or heavy transformers, and will not blind oncoming traffic. So it has to behave like a headlight should and not just a basic bright light.

I have found this light not sure if it is what I need.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Have you considered trying to retrofit an LED projector headlamp in there? Some of the newer kits are small, light, dot certified, and amazingly bright. I'm amazed at some I've seen lately.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. LED is what I was leaning towards. Just did not know if they would be too blinding. Guess DOT is what I need to search for.

·
Super Moderator
22,629 Posts
As long as they are aimed correctly and have the correct "shaping" reflector, there should be no blinding problems. Poorly directed headlights are what can cause an issue.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
And don't forget this. I think the synthetic polymer fluid is lighter so it may save a few ounces of weight. You might find alternatives if you Google it. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And don't forget this. I think the synthetic polymer fluid is lighter so it may save a few ounces of weight. You might find alternatives if you Google it. ;)
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Now if I can get rid of the blinker fluid.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coming close to a solution. Looking at about .7 lbs of weight savings.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Now if I can get rid of the blinker fluid.
I don't think can do that. But STP is the best IMHO. (hopefully that doesn't start a blinker fluid debate) You could always add some summer air to your tires. It's not as dense as winter air and might just shave off those extra oz's you're looking for. Just trying to help here. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the progress so far. First pics are what is coming out. The second to pics are what is going back in. Both in grams and lbs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,629 Posts
Looking good!

Reactions: R1andrew

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Looks purdy! Do they work as well as the original?!

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I got it correctly then you put two led spotlights in your headlight, gives you a lot of light but you will probably blind oncoming traffic because there is no DOT step in your projectors. Are you sure you want to do this? Maybe look into these, they are bi-led projectors that means both will give you normal driving light and highbeam, and they have the necessary DOT step in them so you don't blind other traffic.
https://www.google.nl/search?q=bi+led+projector+retrofit&oq=bi+led+pr&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39l2j0.10348j0j7&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=BDQICow9MziyOM:

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are driving lights and not spot lights. Are they DOT approved? Not sure, when I get Mona back together I will adjust them correctly and not shooting right into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts