MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried to install my Arrow midpipe and after messing around with it for a few hours, I have come to the conclusion that it just doesn't fit. When the mid pipe is mounted, it comes out too far from the bike and there is no way to mount the footpegs back on. :cussing:

Has anyone run into this problem? Is there a solution or do I have to exchange my midpipe? Please help!

In something unrelated, I tried to adjust the footpegs and couldn't figure it out. The owners manual doesn't provide any assistance. :banghead: Any tips?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Use a rubber mallot and just get it down where you need it.
Theres no need to take off the foot peg just the shield. try cleaing the end of the pipe a little.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Installing the Arrow Midpipe

Installing an Arrow midpipe should take about 30 minutes:
1. remove the mufflers
2. remove the right footpeg
3. remove the stock midpipe or catalyst
4. the headers are the only pipes still on the bike
5. add a little grease to the tips of the Arrow midpipe & connect it to the headers
6. leaving all nuts & bolts loose, connect the mufflers to the midpipe ( it may take a little turning & twisting ) TIP.. It may be easier to connect the mufflers to the midpipe & install both as one unit to the header.

7. install the rear muffler hanger bolts, line it all up & start to tighten all the bolts, and connect your springs last. Install the footpeg. see pix... I hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
ramenboy - here are my notes on mid-pipe installation:

I learned a few mid-pipe install tricks:

First take off the rear set so you have room to work - I didn't take off the passanger foot rest.

Taking off the Cat - Remove the 2 bolts holding the cat to the frame and remove the 2 springs between the cat and headers.

Remove the one bolt holding the two mufflers.

Now slowly work loose the entire muffler & cat combo from the headers.

Now that you have it removed, you can take a rubber mallet and tap off the cat from the two mufflers. Obviously remove the 2 springs first.

Note - I didn't remove or loosen the bolts that connect the two mufflers together.

I cleaned the muffler and header connections, placed some light grease on all the connection points and then test fitted the mid-pipe to the headers, then I removed the mid-pipe and tested the connection between the mufflers and the mid-pipe - on my bike this was really pretty tight, but it did together smoothly.

I then took the mufflers connected to the mid-pipe and fitted the combo to the heaters (being careful not to rub the mufflers on the passanger bracket - I wrapped a rag around the bracket to be safe).

Once you have the mid-pipe connected to the headers, then connect the mounting bolt through the frame mount, through the mid-pipe bracket, using the nut that came with the mid-pipe. Leave it loose and then attach the mufflers with their mounting bolt.

Once everything feels/fits good, tighten the 2 mounting bolts and replace the super tight springs and you're good to go.

Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
75 Posts
One more thing - be sure to look at PeteVegas's last photo (that shows the mid-pipe mounted) and note that the mid-pipe mounting bracket attaches on the inside on the frame (opposite side of the nice bolt/washer). If you try to attach the mid-pipe bracket on the outside of the frame mounting hole, nothing will line up properly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DGINAZ said:
One more thing - be sure to look at PeteVegas's last photo (that shows the mid-pipe mounted) and note that the mid-pipe mounting bracket attaches on the inside on the frame (opposite side of the nice bolt/washer). If you try to attach the mid-pipe bracket on the outside of the frame mounting hole, nothing will line up properly.
So the mounting bracket attaches on the inside? So if you were looking from the rear, left to right it would go nut, washer, midpipe bracket, flat alumuminum washer, frame, round aluminum washer, bolt? That would be my problem, then but I tried to get the bracket on the inside and it didn't look right (the midpipe butted up against the swing arm). Maybe I'll try again. Thanks so much for all the feedback.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dginaz, street fighter and petevegas. Got it mounted. Will be taking it out later today to hear and feel the results. :f4:

It's been said before, but this is an awesome forum. :yo:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm glad you got it installed! There should be an FAQ on this topic. It's not hard to do, but there are a few tricks to making it easier for sure.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took out my 910s with the arrow midpipe fitted. Awesome! Not only is the sound sweet, but the increased low rpm responsiveness is very noticeable. A worthwhile upgrade.

Next, Rizoma mirrors and Motivation barends and sliders!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ramen, what all hardware came in the box with the midpipe, in my box I have one bolt, two springs, a spring puller, a arrow sticker but no bolt or washers. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MVAli said:
Ramen, what all hardware came in the box with the midpipe, in my box I have one bolt, two springs, a spring puller, a arrow sticker but no bolt or washers. Thanks.
I got:

One small washer
One self locking nut (the kind with the plastic sleeve inside)
One spring puller
2 springs (which I didn't use, I just used the stock ones)
An arrow sticker

I didn't get a bolt either, but you can use the one for the catalytic converter. I did use the washer (between the nut and the brace for the midpipe), but not sure if it was totally necessary.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply I guess I can make do with washers I have in the toolbox, It was that big round one that I was worried about in case it was proprietary. Heading out to the garage to start the procedure. Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MVAli - My Arrows box came with the exact contents as Ramenboy's list. I did use the small washer, but I tend to agree with Ramenboy that it most likely isn't needed.

I did notice that by using the washer, the stock mounting bolt doesn't clear the nylon locking ring on the arrows supplied nut. So I may remove the washer on mine.

Good luck with your install!

·
Registered
571 Posts
dave h said:
Is there a difference between the arrow midpipe and FBF midpipe?
I was wondering the same thing. I think Ferracci being lazy, cut a deal with Arrow, slapped their logo and are selling the exhaust!

They still look nice however!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't speak for the FBF, but at just over $300, the Arrow midpipe does seem to be the best deal. FBF lists theirs at $391 and my dealer quoted me close to $500 for the MV midpipe.

That being said, while the Arrow midpipe certainly does the job, to some extent you are getting what you pay for. As others have noted, the weld quality on the Arrow midpipe wasn't terrific (certainly much worse than the stock exhaust) and it's missing the bolt opening that the FBF and MV midpipes appear to have based on the photos (not sure what this for... anyone?).

Based on my experience, the Arrow seems the most bang for the buck, but if you are an extreme type A personality and will be scrutizing the midpipe super closely, you may have to shell out some additional money for a prettier product.

My two cents!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It Works

The directions were right on. Got mine on NO PROBLEMA. Attaching the mufflers first and then working the muffler/midpipe on as a unit was a great tip.

I also didn't have any extra nuts so I canibalized the ugly square one off the catalytic. I will change it later to a true locking nut or slip on a lock washer. :f4:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts