MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...
got a Problem with my F4 1000 R 2010. I just wanted to change the oil and found silver and dark-gray metal particles (about 1-3mm long and thin) at the magnet on the Oil release screw on the bottom of the bike :(
The Bike has only run 3000 KM.. It has a Dynojet quickshifter built in, but thats all changed. Oil fill height was ok.
Anyone knows where it comes from or what is damaged???
Will it *uck up my engine??? Last time I had golden particles in the oil of my Yamaha R1 it had a total engine damage afterwards. I don´t want something like that to happen to my MV :( Need held and advice please, I dont know if and what I should do now

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :( :( :(

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Do your oil change, then ride the bike a few hundred (300-500) miles. Check for any white smoke from your tailpipes, or the smell of burning oil during this 300-500 mile test period. Then dump the oil again and check for more metal shavings. If there are more shavings or you have white smoke plus burnt oil smell, then you need to worry. if there aren't any more shavings or oil consumption, then you should be good to go.

3000km is not a whole lot for a new engine, and I bet its just your engine breaking in.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Send your oil out for analysis. If your engine didn't get the 500/600 miles service the shavings could be from that. However, after you get the current oil analyzed do another change (with filter) in another 500 miles, then send out for more analysis to see if something in the motor is failing. The company performing the oil analysis can help pin point the issue, or at least send you in the right direction. Should it turn out to be something serious this is good data to have should it come to going to the courts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I will do some Pics tomorrow, I was told that this was normal because the new engine has very accurate measure and low tolerances therefore some metal gets rubbed off in the first few kilometers.
the bike has had all services an oil changes so far.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Should a bike that has had "all services & oil changes" still be breaking in and spitting metal at 3000kms? I would not ride the bike a lot until the first oil analysis results have been received or it might compound an already existing issue. If the bike is under warranty, which it should be, take it to the dealer and have them figure it out for you.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Depends on your perception of "metal pieces", my original motor still had "fur" on the magnet upto 5k. That's why I asked for a picture, this question come's up all the time, and I've yet to see it turn into a problem, unless there was copper colour involved and the noise faster included.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Lol Dons. Fur is the best way to describe normal engine wear showing up on the drain plug magnet. Lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
"It has a Dynojet quickshifter built in..."

Anyone else thinking this could be the cause?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
If the oil filter rattles, be worried ; )

My 312 had a little "fur" on the magnet at the 3500m service. My Hayabusa had fur on its magnet at a similar mileage,
I would expect this.

joe

·
Administrator
20,750 Posts
That's why there is a magnet there!!!!

Quick shifter as cause??? maybe, since you are banging gear engagement dogs into each other every time you shift. Even with a quick shifter you will have a more abrasive engagement than if you use the clutch, which means more metal shavings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts