MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History - used 750 F4, fuel connectors cracked so those got replace. Bike has been running great since then except for today. We rode about 5 miles, filled up with fuel, rode another 15, the wife goosed it and went around a car then the bike lost power. Sounds like a fuel problem to me because it would turn over and run (like the attached vid) now that it's home, it will turn over only. The fuel pump kicks on...I notice there a spring on the outside on the left hand side of the throttle body that isn't tight, I can take a picture of that if needed? Just need to know where to start :cry: Maybe fuel filter? Clogged injector?

Thanks all - again

example of issue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAFbFK7xmm8

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
no go?

more than likely its the fuel line inside the tank.....

get some REAL submersible fuel injection line, SAE J30R10 spec line....you need 30cm to replace both pressurized lines, i use Breeze all stainless screw type clamps
i have the Clic-R pliers.....sorry, i trust the screw type clamps, while you're in there replace the fuel filter, use a standard automotive fuel injection filter WIX#30012 ~$4 at the auto parts store:yo:

:f4::brutale:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Noel!!! I'm going to give that a try. Do I need a new tank gasket or anything?

Good thing I get to take the tank off and drain the fuel! :D Oh wait, no, that sucks.

On the phone with parts store, 30012 doesn't cross reference to anything? Hehehe, the J30R10 doesn't either...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also need the ID of the fuel lines inside the tank

You know, the wife was so happy today riding. Couldn't wait to ride tomorrow. Now there's no riding tomorrow and as it just so happens, this coming week is the one she rides to work every day because I'm at home with the kids.

Sometimes I wonder if the Italian stuff is worth owning. I don't mean to b8tch but man...Sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
If you strip it you will see the o-ring that seals the tank mate, if you are carefull and apply some silicon grease you can put it back in one piece. Strip it first and take the parts with you to the store as a sample. If you run into trouble then Truimph, Ducati and BMW use the same filters although more expensive.
Before you do anything have a read throught the workshop manual.
J30R10 is a spec not a part number.
BTW, that bike is 10 yrs old, I would imagine things starting to fail if not checked or replaced. Most brand bikes are only now starting to put fuel lines in fuel tank.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
lines?

the pressurized lines in the tank are 5/16" .....
the external ones 3/8"

like Donsy said SAE J30R10 is a spec, not a part number.....and get a standard auto fuel injection filter like a WIX #30012 ~$4 at the auto parts store:stickpoke
Aprilia fuel filters are $49 what do you think i'm using?:naughty::naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I call the auto parts store and mention J30R10 and WIX # 30012 and they go crosseyed. It's not like I'm in a GD back woods town either. DAMN!

Good points Neil. I'm trying, in futility, to not go off the deep end right now :D

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
parts?

Mr. Clean;
i understand your problem......

there aren't many real auto parts stores anymore....even here in the LA area

fortunately for me i have Peerless Auto Parts, 310-856-4810 in Torrance Ca......you know the old fashioned kind of place, with real tools on the walls and no fuzzy steering wheel covers.......and they ALL speak only English.....

they deliver parts, so i imagine they'll ship to you too!
thanks John, Tony and Josh, you guys are life savers:yo::yo::yo::yo:

give them a call!:drummer:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it's a spec for the fuel line, but after no luck with the locals, I'm going to have to just say "submersible 5/16"
Also I can't find a WIX 30012, but it appears as though the BMW filter cross reference a NAPA gold 3032 filter

From a Triumph forum:
Fuel Filters
Triumph Stock - T1240850
AC GF61
BMW - 16 14 2 325 859
Fleetguard FF149
Fram G2
KNECHT MAHLE KL145
Motocraft FG-2
Napa Gold 3032
Purolator - F20011
Wix 33032

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
any other thoughts? The pump comes on, fuel filter replaced, yadda yadda yadda, she turns over but does not start.

*edit - o-ring was replaced...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also now after buying spark plug wire tester there is spark to every plug. It almost catches but no dice.

This was instant dead too. She passed a car, then the bike literally shut off and hasn't worked since. It turns over, but does not run.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
no fuel........smell any?

It smells like it, the hard part there is that it's tough to REALLY tell as I've been smelling gas all day. Literally. I had the airbox off and one would think it would really stink but it didn't.
Just now I got it to sputter and couldn't even open the throttle up before it died.
Fuel pump went out?
I did blow through the old fuel filter and it was pretty bad. Perhaps this made the pump work harder and it killed it.
Also - at CAG's recommendation I disconnected a fuel line heading to the fuel rail, turned the key on and nothing. Also, with the ignition off the fule pump was making weird whirring sounds. Lower volume than the typical start up sound and more "grinding" to it if that makes sense.
:stickpoke:f4:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
she runs!

Fuel filter replaced, fuel lines replaced - nuthin...

New fuel pump assembly from CAG and she runs!

Thanks CAG!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts