MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the red & black 910S, all red body with all black tank, and I have a spare tank with some paint damage that I've been meaning to get painted as a backup tank. I love my black and red scheme but I always had a soft spot for the silver tank with fat red stripe or the orange with black stripe. So now that I have this extra tank I thought I would paint it black with a fat red stripe. I want to keep the colors the same and the bike looking stock from the side, but get a little extra pop with the red stripe. Although it's tempting to go all out with a fancy custom paint job I want it to look like it came from the factory this way, so the family resemblance to the silver and orange bikes is clear.

To that end I need your help with measurements. I've included photos of the tank design and I would love it if someone could measure the distance across the stripe at various points (I marked some good ones, like top of fuel lid, across the fuel lid bolts, bottom of lid, etc.). I would also need to know the distance at the very top of the tank so we know where to start the stripe and at the bottom (ideally you could pop your seat off and expose the very bottom of the tank) so we know where to end the stripe.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Sell the extra tank and buy a carbon fiber one and paint the fat red stripe on that.

How cool would that be?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds nice but I'm guessing a carbon tank cost considerably more than I can expect to get for a stock tank? :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's nice but it's the same design I'm after only in gray. I actually really love the Hydrogen scheme too with white and black stripe, but I gotta stay true to the original look of the bike. :)

Still hoping someone can help me out with some measurements.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would help but mine is in the shop. 1st time with them so don't know when I'll get it back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks Mike! Yes metric please, I find it's easier to be more accurate when you use mm vs. fractions of inches, so that would be great.

In looking at the tank there's a clear edge that runs along each side from the back to the front. The edge sort of lips down to the "wings" of the tank and then meet the other folds at the very front. I've marked the edge I'm talking about with arrows in the photo below.

If your black stripe runs along this edge (looking at the red/silver example I posted above it looks like it does) then I wouldn't really need measurements, just a confirmation. And if you're able to it would be super helpful if you could take some close-up photos of the front so I can see where the stripe ends (the junction with the tank, air intake, and ignition cover is a bit convoluted) and also at the bottom of the tank where it meets the seat so I know how to finish off the stripe.

If the stripe doesn't run along this edge then some measurements would be super helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
I tried to be most precise, but you should try to double check if someone close has same bike. Here are the measurements I took on my bike, from top to bottom you had 6 lines accross the tank and I even measered a 7th line which is the furthest point down the tank against the saddle

1) 7" 1/8
2) 9" 5/16
3) 8" 5/16
4) 7" 13/16
5) 6" 13/16
6) 6"
7) 4" 9/16

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here are the approx. dim's I measured on mine....

1. 181mm
2. 236.5 mm
3. 211 mm
4. 198.3 mm
5. 173 mm
6. 152.6 mm

Mike

·
Registered
301 Posts
Measurements will always be subjective unless you have the other part right there beside you.

You are better off just masking to the line in the tank.

Dave.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yes, it is true, but if you look at both of us measuring in Inches and Milimiters ... both of us are right on !!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes, it is true, but if you look at both of us measuring in Inches and Milimiters ... both of us are right on !!
Yeah, I think it was very close. It helped that we had points of reference (where to measure at).
But I do agree, that it is somewhat subjective and perhaps there may be some manufacturing tolerance when these tanks were painted.

Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much for everyone's help, I really appreciate it. I agree that measurements are never going to be exact but what I'm hoping for is to use them to confirm that the stripe follows the molded edge in the tank evenly and finding out the starting and end points. Having two measurements is perfect, thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was a CRC special edition that used silver with a blue stripe and blue seats back in the 750 days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts