MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't that what they call it when two planes get too close to each other - a near miss? Never quite understood that.

My near miss came this morning. I have the day off so I headed out to Canyon Lake (Tortilla Flat) for a quick romp on the 910R. Had a blast, the roads were deserted out and back.

After one and a half hours of fun I was nearly home, I came around a 90 degree turn and as I started to roll on the throttle the back tire suddenly broke loose. I was sideways in an instant heading for a high side. It threw me out of the saddle, both feet off of the pegs. I was doing the "flyin' W" but came back down with both hands still on the bars and somehow still had throttle control. My left foot hit the tarmac jamming my knee before my body came to rest half on the seat.

I regained my composure and pulled over. I rode back and looked at the corner, I was looking for fluid or anything that would cause such a sudden loss of traction and saw nothing.

Near miss and I can't explain it.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Glad you are Ok and the only victim was your underwear. :)

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
It's weird how that happens. I was riding a few weeks ago on Mosquito ridge road, Read about it here, when I was coming around a slow 20mph hairpin that looped around itself I felt the rear end hit something like a big rock. It sort of stood the bike up and startled me mainly because I didn't see any rocks, debris or anything else in the corner. I stopped, inspected the bike and went back and checked out the corner and nothing. No rocks, dirt or anything else there that I could see. It was really weird.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I've had that happen on the street too, maybe not to that extent though.

Never had it happen on the track though. Or at least, never had it happen when I didn't know what the cause was :) (twist, twist) :stir:

Glad to hear you came out OK, that could have been ugly.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Glad you're okay, I wish I was out there today the weather is awesome.
Sometimes I suspect alll it takes is a small rock, maybe the size of a marble to pop the rear tire off the ground, and then likely the rock gets tossed off the road by the spinning tire. Just a theory, but it happen to me all the time mt. biking.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind replies.

I drove back to the scene and parked nearby so I could walk through the turn and take a real close look. I think I see what happened. Apparently when they repaved the road for some unknown reason several plastic reflectors, about 2.5" x 5" (6.3cm x 12.7cm) were inlaid into the asphalt. They are flush with the surface, I think they are meant to be lane markers that are usually raised above the road surface so they reflect at night and also give a bump warning if you cross over the center line.

Anyway, for some reason several of these are inlaid flush right at the apex of the turn. When I rode back through the corner before they just looked like little paint splashes. I see a black mark on one extending onto the asphalt. I must have been heeled over and opening the throttle just as my rear tire was on the smooth plastic surface.

If you ride NE Mesa, this is the corner where northbound Crismon turns 90 degrees left and becomes westbound McKellips. Look out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts