MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got 7400 miles out of the stock pilot powers, and just put on a brand new set of michelin power pure tires. less than 200 miles later, i have a nail in my new rear tire, lol. :jerkoff: :banghead:

i've never used a plug kit before, what are the thoughts on using these? do i pay to have my tire dismounted, do the plug myself, then pay to have it remounted? or just take the wheel to the dealer and have them plug it? what would you do?

·
Registered
337 Posts
That sucks!

I've had my car tires patched before for small punctures. Never a plug. Most tire places advise against it (plugs) for cars. Patches worked great and never had a problem with them.

That all said, I would probably bite the bullet and just a get a new tire for the motorcycle. My gut instinct says you should be fine patching it but with bikes, I would prefer to be on the safe side.

Just my .02cents.
Mike

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
they do a plug/patch from the inside, I'd do it as long as you're not tracking it

·
Registered
417 Posts
The only tyre i would plug is a truck tyre,no way a bike tyre,got to have 100% faith in your tyres ,and not with a plug in it,your ass ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
That looks like a pretty big nail. I would not patch/plug it.

If it was something small like a thin wood nail, then sure.. But not for something that big.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Get a new tire. It sucks, it happened to me before with just a couple hundred miles on my tire but you'll have to just bite the bullet. The plug might work very well and last for a couple thousand miles OR you might experience a rear tire failure at a high rate of speed within a week. Your call.

·
Registered
217 Posts
suuucks! last nail I bit was just patched, but it was the size of a pin, not the size of a pinkie. egads.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have had mine patched before, never a single problem with them. And they all seem to happen when the tire is brand new!!!

Patching it from the inside is safe, If the tire is brand new, I wouldnt worry about it, just get it patched from the inside.

·
Living the Dream
2,759 Posts
just went through the same thing. I replaced mine b/c the tires are the only thing keeping me on the ground. I don't want to risk it.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Plug and patch it.

I have plugged more than one tyre in the past, with a patch on the inside and did track work on one of them. Perfectly safe mate.
Just get someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The only tyre i would plug is a truck tyre,no way a bike tyre,got to have 100% faith in your tyres ,and not with a plug in it,your ass ?
I think i know what you're trying to say.. not my type of fun:stickpoke

My brand new Michelin rear picked up a screw after 2 weeks. Plugged and patched from the inside. I've never heard of a tyre with a patch and plug causing trouble. Not yet anyway.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have plugged more than one tyre in the past, with a patch on the inside and did track work on one of them. Perfectly safe mate.
Just get someone who knows what they are doing.
+1. A proper plug inserted from the inside is fine.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
sticky strips have worked fine for me on bikes. thousands of KMs after the plug, no issues.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Tyre and Rim insurance on my bike. Any punture or damage to the tyre it is either repaired or replaced (being sports tyres my dealer replaces) with no excess to pay!! will even cover upto $120.00 to tow to dealer. No need to worry about if you are going to plug they tyre or buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
I have had mine patched before, never a single problem with them. And they all seem to happen when the tire is brand new!!!

Patching it from the inside is safe, If the tire is brand new, I wouldnt worry about it, just get it patched from the inside.
It's a very personal choice on repairing or not.

I scored a screw and had it 'plugged' - internal repair and have done 1500km since them with zero problems. Additionally (weather permitting) - I'll also be doing a track day this weekend have no concerns about the tyres ability to perform.

...for ~$40 to repair with a plug, it's worth doing it just to get your own perspective.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
nails....

i love the paranoid types.....tossing brand new tires because of a nail...

more free tires for me!

been riding for ~54 years.....

but, i've only had 2 flats, 1st in '69 in Texas, 2nd in my garage last year....present bikes total mileage 108,000 miles, that i put on them.
had an R75 that i put 140,000+ miles on

in plugging tires i use the string, i carry the kit, diagonal pliers(for pulling nails etc) and CO2 cartridges on all my bikes

here's a pictorial;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65448

NB;
ALL commercial airplanes, you know the ones we all fly in!.....
use retreaded tires.....and they don't just retread them once either!

Cheers

Noel-theknurl

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
It's a very personal choice on repairing or not.

as stated above it comes down to you and how you feel knowing you are riding a bike with tyre repairs

how many of us ride bikes knowing we are down to the metal on the tyre, does it make you slow up or ride just as fast?

:naughty:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it turns out that there is no shop in NH that will patch/plug the tire, because it is illegal to repair a motorcycle tire in New Hampshire, LOL (illegal as in it won't pass the safety inspection). so screw that, i bought another rear tire, and i will swap the tires on the rim at the race track this weekend (free!), then patch & plug the other tire myself and use it next year.

illegal to repair a bike tire.... lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just had a rear flat yesterday on my Brutale. I went to roll the bike in the garage and, of course, it wouldn't move. I had the rim & tire off in a few minutes. Windex spray showed a pinhole which looked like a rock puncture to me. I just dropped it off at the local Aprillia dealer. He really didn't want to patch it. It's got 2700 miles so I'll probably just get a new Pirelli. The dealer said he'd take a look on the inside and give me his final opinion.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts