MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So no at least for my new bike the sprag issue was still there. I hope i dont see this again. Warranty fix very quick but kinda not the point.

Graham

·
Registered
590 Posts
It's queer how it's very random in failing, some folks having it fail quite quick and others after a few thousand km's. I'm at 6000km on my MY2016 Dragster RR and not even a hint of a sprag issue. Hope the replacement lasts longer for you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
my 2015 F3 800 has about 1700 miles..
i started it today for a ride.. it started up fine but during cranking it seemed noisy
and running sounded like a bunch or marbles in the crankcase.
it was gone soon after and it ran fine and restarted fine all day..
is this the sprag?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had my first sprag replaced at 4,000 miles and now this replacement is acting up at 9,000 miles just 1 year later... :-(

I haven't spoken to my dealer yet since my warranty is out but I will this week. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi!
I changed the sprag on about 10000km and now, I have to change it again. 22000km....
I had a issue with some weird and scary noises in the engine, and I think that's the sprag.
Like Caloots say, sounded like rocks in the engine, and it stopped. When turned it over 20min later it sounded ok.
Yesterday, when turning the engine after a short ride, there was a terrible noise. After a few on/off with the key, it was ok and fired up with no noise. Getting it changed on Thursday.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi!
I changed the sprag on about 10000km and now, I have to change it again. 22000km....
I had a issue with some weird and scary noises in the engine, and I think that's the sprag.
Like Caloots say, sounded like rocks in the engine, and it stopped. When turned it over 20min later it sounded ok.
Yesterday, when turning the engine after a short ride, there was a terrible noise. After a few on/off with the key, it was ok and fired up with no noise. Getting it changed on Thursday.
i cant stand it..

i better not have to fukin replace this part every few K miles..

·
Registered
317 Posts
i cant stand it..

i better not have to fukin replace this part every few K miles..
I do think they are getting better on the sprag thing :)
Heard that they are on ver.4 of the spragclutch design now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
390 Posts
After 2500 miles my Sprag started playing up yesterday on my RC
Was told it was an uprated one fitted from new as bike is 2016 model and of 2nd Series.
Anybody knows what happens eventually if you keep on riding and putting up with the starting issues and clanking ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a 2016 Dragster and mine is starting to go. A couple of day ago it took almost a minute to get it to start, no metallic sounds yet (1800miles). The bike was always plugged in when not in use. The issue has not be resolved yet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Up to over 15,000km and never had an issue starting, bike isn't on the tender every night but quite often. Like I said earlier in the topic it's strange how some seem to go through sprags regularly and others not at all.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not sure if it has something to do with how you start and stop? Mines done nearly 7k has the original battery never been on a tender and has stood for over 4 weeks in uk winter and still starts first time - I always start it in neutral after its gone through all its preamble I never touch the throttle and have the clutch in - I always stop it with the kill switch never the key ..

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I always stop it with the kill switch never the key ..

Funny, I have friends who do the same without any problems but all the bikes I've owned, not just MV say you shouldn't do this in the manuals?

It annoys the crap out of me when we swap bikes and I can't work out why mine won't start when I get back on it :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Interesting point. I always stop mine with the key like the book says. Does any other bike have a latching killswitch?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sprag is ordered but dont know when it will turn up
Its booked in at Bennetts and earlest they could do is the beginning of Oct.
Not happy but there is nothing i can do and even Alison who works there and also has a RC said i could have her Sprag as it was ordered before mine.Just hope it comes soon and theres a cancellation to do it earlier.
Also just to add after 2500 miles,i have never stopped the engine once with the kill switch and from new the bike has been in Sport mode.Ive never bothered to alter anything as im happy as it is.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I've never understood turning it off with the killswitch because you still have to turn it off at the key to get the key out.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I've never understood turning it off with the killswitch because you still have to turn it off at the key to get the key out.
Many reasons, sometimes you need the bike turned off but the lights still going for a short time, on some bikes the fans will keep going for a short while and then you can turn the ignition off, the bike doesn't have to go through the diagnostic check when you turn it back on, all of this under the "shot while" context though.:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
My dragster rr has a serious starting problem, I thought it was tow truck time yesterday morning when I got to sacramento for a table tennis tournament, stopped at jack in the box..10 mins later..it does not want to fire up..finally starts..no more issues the next 3 times that day..this morning, it was very hard to start 2 of 4 times. I'm afraid to shut it off..pretty shure it's the sprag, the starter is beginning to make a "clunking" sounds, the battery seems to be solid..time to go to Livermore for warranty..problem is, it's my only transportation...

·
Registered
450 Posts
My dragster rr has a serious starting problem, I thought it was tow truck time yesterday morning when I got to sacramento for a table tennis tournament, stopped at jack in the box..10 mins later..it does not want to fire up..finally starts..no more issues the next 3 times that day..this morning, it was very hard to start 2 of 4 times. I'm afraid to shut it off..pretty shure it's the sprag, the starter is beginning to make a "clunking" sounds, the battery seems to be solid..time to go to Livermore for warranty..problem is, it's my only transportation...
If the sound is a loud clack (metal on metal) then its your sprag. Better get it serviced before you're left stranded.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm trying to get it scheduled at the dealer in Livermore ca. (speed-sports) agusta u.s.a. on facebook is helping me out, these guys are very good about getting me some help. otherwise I might be on my own...I hate to think about trading it in for a honda or something more practical, I like the dragster rr it's a blast to own..it looks cool, and it is quick. it also rides like a dump truck over ruff roads..not the best for freeway cruising and it burns my leg in traffic..other than that I wouldn't trade it for any motor cycle on the market..lol!..no motorcycle is perfect for everything...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts